PDA

View Full Version : Something about my freaking Cascade lids.

Lithan
04-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Well, my watercooling rig has been down for months (6) pending a motherboard upgrade I never got around to. I finally put it back together... and not an hour up I notice a hairline fracture leak. At the exact same spot as the last top I had. Spliting out from the exhaust barb. What's causing this? Well, I am fairly demanding as to tubing lengths and as such there are some sharp curves, but while the rest of my setup uses reinforced ultra sturdy tubing. I've made a point to make the piece which attaches here use the flimsiest tubing. This tubing shoud rip before what it's connecting takes damage.

Anyhow, Months ago, I bought a dtek block from tigerdirect for 20$ (and later heard that they were supposedly stolen). I had expected to setup another rig with it when I got the chance... but I'm running it on my main now. Performance is a good 3*Celsius worse at idle, but with a metal top I feel much more confident having my thousand dollar computer dependant on it's reliability. (Especially after the first top splitting cost me one of the early "gem" abit Nforce2's.) My Maze3 never had this problem, I would imagine due to the plexi top being nearly twice as thick... but just to be on the safe side I've converted to the "No plexi" side of watercoolers.

Note: The dtek block is stock, unlapped which I'm hoping is impacting it's performance, and a simple lapping will get it much closer to the cascade.

freecableguy
04-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Uh...I wouldn't expect a lapping on the dtek block to get it "close" to the Cascade...

Lithan
04-13-2004, 07:58 AM
By close, I mean within 5*C, which may not be close under most standards. But for a guy who has spent 90% of his time on this machine trying to fix problems, 5*C is now negligible.

Hmm, does cathar sell aluminum or copper tops for cascade yet? And what's the waiting list like these days?

Jabo
04-14-2004, 12:14 AM
Cathar is developing new breed of ultra ghigh performance experimental blocks atm. = waiting list is quite long :(
drop him a PM on his home forums or at procooling

Turbokeu
04-14-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Jabo
Cathar is developing new breed of ultra ghigh performance experimental blocks atm. = waiting list is quite long :(
drop him a PM on his home forums or at procooling
You can still order new tops from Cathar on his website.
I remember a thread where he stated that a particular batch of Cascade blocks had issues with the quality of the polycarbonate tops. I'm sure he will provide you a good poly top if you contact him...

CD :)