PDA

View Full Version : Good 120mm AC fans for heatercore?

VanMojo
04-11-2004, 12:04 AM
I am building an external watercooling box and using the fedco 2-275 core (2 120mm fans). I was thinking since the pump is AC it would make sense to use AC fans so I don't need to run 12v wires to the box. Does anybody know of some good 120mm AC fans for this that aren't too loud? I was looking at comair rotron muffin 108cfm fans but I'm afraid they might be loud. I found lots of threads with people using the 172mm comair DC fans with reduced voltage, but nothing about the 120mm comairs. Does anybody have experience with these or another fan that would be good? Thanks.

VanMojo
04-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Well I got a deal on some comair rotron whisper XLs, I hope they aren't super loud. I saw 37 dbA on some site. I guess I could get a fan controller if it bothers me.

bfx
07-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking along the same lines.

How did those fans work out?

bfx

n00b 0f l337
07-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Van, your not going to be able to just put a fan controller on an ac fan. Your going to have to find the correct dimmer switch.

VanMojo
07-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Just got an email notice about this thread. I wasn't expecting a reply a year later, heh. Anyway, the comairs are not too bad, but are a little louder than I would like. They seem to have more bearing noise than DC fans, and definitely make more heat. Probably the worst part is that they don't move exactly the same speed, so I get a bit of a beating noise. On the plus side, they do move a ton of air, way more than I need. If I got motivated enough to redo it I would probably put a 12V power brick inside the box and run DC fans, since getting quiet DC fans seems to be much easier.

n00b 0f l337
07-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Haha I didnt even realize this. Thanks bfx. How did you even find this thread?

bfx
07-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Haha I didnt even realize this. Thanks bfx. How did you even find this thread?

The same way I just re-found it (most have missed it on the New Posts list) - by digging back thru old posts looking for any helpful info.

btw - how do you go about fimding the rigt dimmer switch? Take the total power drwan by the fans and look for one with a power rating that is close close but greater?

bfx

JasonDTM
07-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Sanyo Denki AC fans?