PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifier vs A/C for chiller

CCr_Claymore
04-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Hails All, ( bows to "Gary" shrine:-))
As I have both - older dehumidifier and a 5,000BTU A/C which should I be starting on first to turn into a chiller??

My goals are:
t start with a cooler/chiller ( not neccessarily sub ambient at start, but able to add to it, ie better/more bloks GPU, NB,maybe southbridge.

What I would like from this agust body is some ideas??
ie: which is usually more "cost effective" using an demumidifier or an A/C??
What should I be "looking" for in a dehumidiferto make a chiller??
Most of the articles on this forum pertain to A/C units, Am I to take this as my answer?? or is ti just that they are more plentiful than dehumidifiers??

PS - UR site is "awsome" for a better word, and Gary keep up the great info coming, and I hope one day to be able to afford one of ur build, if I can save enough $CDN :-))

Gary Lloyd
04-09-2004, 04:11 PM
From a refrigeration point of view, there is little difference between an A/C and a dehumidifier, except that the dehumidifier dumps the heat back into the room, while the A/C dumps it outdoors.

You should look them over carefully and figure out which evaporator would be easiest to get into a reservoir without breaking the lines. Also check the compressors to see which is more powerful. Roughly, amperage rating will tell the story, or possibly we can tell from the model numbers.

I'm not really a God or anything. I'm more the saintly type. Yep... St. Gary... that's me... LOL

CCr_Claymore
04-09-2004, 06:18 PM
As always, Thx again, will send details of compressors when I start ripping the D#@@@@ things apart (will include pictures too :-))

Once again, Thx St Gary (Bows towards Trenton (present domicile of the patron of this forum)
Being that the Sts' Words' are True, as is his heart. I find that I wish to become one of his Disciples', following the "Truths'"
1/ Frost is Evil, Always Insulate
2/ When in Doubt, re-insulate (3/4 pipe insulation is always nice)
3/ A bigger compressor Can always be better (Tweaked)
4/ Try to always keep my Evap upright.

Being a simple more mature Gentalman (read 50+, married and permanantly poor (2 children)) I hope to one day pass on my readings of the "St" too my progeny.

CCr_Claymore "Si Je Puis" (Olde French Family motto "If I May/ Can"

Çhrist0ph
04-10-2004, 03:58 PM
when you get your chiller going, DONT chill your southbridge. anything above a small heatsink is an absolute waste...