PDA

View Full Version : OLD OSs

Axle Gear
04-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Anyone know a link to a website that has info on really old (pre-windows) OSs?

I'm doing some research papers and need to have a brief history of OSs.

tweakerxp
04-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Pre-Windows era would be a DOS OS. I think that Apple and IBM also had some GUI OS too.

Edit, I found a great list of old OS's here (http://www.computerhope.com/os.htm) Just scroll down :)

Axle Gear
04-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks. I need a few questions, though:

What was the FIRST (distributed, IE would work on multiple similar computers) os? I just need the name, I can do the rest of the research.
I beleive it should be a 4-bit system, seeing as how there were OSs even when most personal(ish) computer CPUs were 4-bit. (They could only address 16 bytes of memory! That's mind-boggling!)
I know DOS was an 8-bit system for a 4-bit CPU. Owned by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition...
Heh. Little pun, there.

Plexus22
04-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Nice pun!:D

boshi
04-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Axle Gear
Thanks. I need a few questions, though:

What was the FIRST (distributed, IE would work on multiple similar computers) os? I just need the name, I can do the rest of the research.
I beleive it should be a 4-bit system, seeing as how there were OSs even when most personal(ish) computer CPUs were 4-bit. (They could only address 16 bytes of memory! That's mind-boggling!)
I know DOS was an 8-bit system for a 4-bit CPU. Owned by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition...
Heh. Little pun, there.

UNIX