PDA

View Full Version : Cool down before startup 'reset button' mod?

MaZeR
04-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Hiyas,

I understand that the Vapochill etc. and the odd TEC controllers out there allow the computers CPU to be cooled before starting up. I have seen it mentioned that this is achieved by holding the reset button "high".

I have an Asus P4C800-E Dlx board and have tried a number of combinations of holding the reset button, during boot, and before, and using a jumber to short it on the mobo. I have not been able to get anything other than a normal boot :(

I am thinking either I am missing something here, or that mabye there is a mobo issue here? I have a 2 x 256W TEC system and would like to automate this process.

Thanks for your help!

Ragnarok
04-07-2004, 02:59 AM
seriously what bother with holding the reset? why not just hold the power??

or u can get a delay timer kit from frozencpu, which should do the trick as well

MaZeR
04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Ragnarok
u can get a delay timer kit from frozencpu, which should do the trick as well

This kit uses the reset button to delay the mobo startup. If someone can help me with my problem I can build my own.

Originally posted by Ragnarok
seriously what bother with holding the reset? why not just hold the power??

Holding the reset (however that's done) turns all the fans on without turning on the mobo/CPU.

Originally posted by MaZeR
I have a 2 x 256W TEC system

Obviously I need fans.

Piper
04-07-2004, 10:47 PM
This is only going to provide a temporary difference as the temp will even back out to normal soon after power up, in other words, no point unless you are going for a very temporary OC or something like that.

MaZeR
04-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Piper
This is only going to provide a temporary difference as the temp will even back out to normal soon after power up, in other words, no point unless you are going for a very temporary OC or something like that.

Sorry if my problem is unclear to you. I would appreciate it if someone who actually knows about how the vapo/prommie pre-chillers actually work and/or if there are any problems with the P4C800-E Deluxe in this regard.

Piper
04-08-2004, 06:25 AM
I understand your problem perfectly, what I don't understand is why you have a problem to begin with.

If you would take a short moment please and explain what you will gain by pre-chilling the CPU prior to start-up then I might be able to help you out.

It's just that after many years of fooling around with all this stuff, I have seen dozens of fad ideas come and go. So many of them do absolutely nothing except perhaps greatly increase the risks of equipment damage and cost some guys their cash.

In the mean time, I guess I'll do some searching and see if I can get an answer to this one for you.

MaZeR
04-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Piper
If you would take a short moment please and explain what you will gain by pre-chilling the CPU prior to start-up then I might be able to help you out.

If I pre-cool the CPU it can boot. If I don't it won't.

Holst
04-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Prommy mach1 works as follows.

With the PC off the reset is shorted.

Turn the PC on and the compressor starts and reset is still held.

(Holding reset should stop the PC from trying to post, and keeps power usage to a minimum (but there is still some power used by the CPU)

Once the temperature of the head reaches a preset temp (-33*c at stock on prom) the reset is released and the PC will boot up (usually, some motherboards dont like reset being held and it either stops the PC from posting, or the PC will try and boot straight up)

You cant use this exact system with your setup as you dont have a temp probe. But you could use a 555 timer or if your more clumsy a cap charge to switch a relay giving the same effect.

If holding reset when you press the power still results in a post then your board may not work right, I dont know enough about the P4C800-E to say for sure.

The reason the prommy/vapo works this way is that it means you dont need an external PSU for 12v this is especially important on the vapo (as the compressor is 12v) but it also cuts cost on the prommy.

Personally when I was running a TEC I was wary of leaving it alone especially when it was first turned on. I had it set up so that fans/TEC/water pump would all turn on at once (setup with relays) then the PC could only be turned on if the last link in the chain was working (in this case the TEC itself) by using a relay on the 240v set to be off unless the TEC was on. That way my PC woudlnt turn on unless the TEC, and therfore fans/pump were also on... then id just have to press the power myself..

Piper
04-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Roger MaZer, I get it, your pushing way beyond standard parameters then.

I wish I could help you, but I have never done this so I will certainly back off for someone who has. Thanx for the explanation.

MaZeR
04-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Thanks Holst! No worries Piper ;)

I indeed have tried to simulate what you describe and it turns out it's actually the motherboard at fault here :( After researching both the nVENTIV and Asetek forums it appears I need to go the more expensive (and my original) route and use an additional PSU for the fans and use a more elaborate controller for startup. Luckily I only need a wee one for the fans.

Also, I understand what you mean about the startup order. Kinda like a space launch, hehe. Rest assured I have thought about the failsafes etc.

:)

Jabo
04-16-2004, 01:35 AM
What Holst described is the best way to do it. Alwyas the less complicated solution the better and more failure proof.

The way I got set up is as follows:

4 way extension lead with nise filters and surge protection is plugged to the wall. This extension lead receives power lead from my pump (mains powered), two leads form two PSUs supplying power to fans and TECs and lead from main rig's PSU. Between wall and extension rail I installed regular external light switch box. All hardware has power switches in ON position.
When I switch the kight box on all fans, pump and TECs get power = cooling system is working full steam ahead.
After temps reach desired level I manually switch my rig in ordinary way.
Sometimes I do not wait at all if I run low OC nad low vcore.
100% fool proof system - impossible to turn rig on without cooling system working.

It is possible to automate the process by hooking up timer assy to box switch and main PC power button.

All I need now to make totally safe is some sort of fail-safe device shutting down power in case of pump failure:)
I bet Holst got it sorted already ;)