PDA

View Full Version : MMORPG's?

Soulburner
04-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Any of you guys into these?

I currently play UO but as we have some new games on the horizon I am looking for something new.

A few of the better choices out there for up and coming MMORPG's:

http://www.blizzard.com/wow

http://www.lineage2.com/main.asp

http://everquest2.station.sony.com/

There is also UO X: Oddessey coming, SWG, DAOC, etc, but the ones above look at lot better to me.

Some good stuff coming, going to be tough to decide which one to go with. They should all put out a 30 day trial for me :D

Charles Wirth
04-06-2004, 02:14 AM
EQ2 looks good and very detailed. This game is sure to consume years of peoples lives. beta not open yet. You must have EQ account active as well as beta tested with previous products.

WoW will a great game by blizzard for the slightly less MMORPG player. not sure if BETA is closed now.

Lineage 2 beta signup is open

My vote is for WoW

John Cena
04-06-2004, 05:12 AM
try www.runescape.com

John Cena
04-06-2004, 05:13 AM
isnt warcraft a stragety game like sc?

Soulburner
04-06-2004, 05:14 AM
I agree i've been watching WoW development for years now and it is coming along very well.

I'm doing more reading into how EQ2 and L2 are setup. I always say graphics don't make a game by itself. It may look real nice but it has to be a damn fun game to play. That's Blizzard's whole focus.

Charles Wirth
04-08-2004, 06:27 PM
"I always say graphics don't make a game by itself."

You been reading the Doom3 beta forums??

Semper Fi
04-08-2004, 06:33 PM
I played UO since its release, and for about 3 years following. Then went on to EQ. Didn't enjoy it very much, quit after level 25, went back to UO, then got into DAOC at launch. Now I have a lvl 50 fire wizard on Galahad. Very fun game, but it's lost its value to me now. I won't play another MMORPG unless it has PvP as the old UO use to. Those were the days.... Dread Lord Odysseus Grandmaster Mage...

WoW definately looks promising. EQ2 will just be more of the same. Lineage 2 was highly dissapointing. You can tell a lot by the beta.

Gogeta
04-08-2004, 11:08 PM
I'm playing the Lineage II beta right now. Its kind of a level grinder at early levels, and the economy DEFINITELY needs to develop a little more, but its a good game for sure.

Made me feel like I was playing my first MMORPG. You gotta like PvP though :big grin:

`schr0et
04-09-2004, 05:30 AM
MMORPG = pos life eater.

I don't understand the whole appeal behind MMORPG... is it the whole "this game has no ending so we make up random crap as we go" part? Or is it the whole "lets waste 5 years of our lives being addicted to evercrack"?

I personally loathe MMORPG, I tried playing Asherons Crap 2 and I broke the CD in half the second day because of its gayness... Seriously I was so angry at that game for making me waste 45 bucks to buy it!

[/end angry rant]

`s

Soulburner
05-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Semper Fi
I played UO since its release, and for about 3 years following.
I have some good characters on UO ;)

The Dark Lord Soulburner, Elder Scholar
110 Magery
110 Meditation
110 Evaluating Intelligence
110 Animal Taming
110 Animal Lore
100 Veterinary
60 Hiding

The Glorious Lord Minion, Elder Warrior
110 Swordsmanship
110 Tactics
110 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Parry
90 Chivalry
90 Focus

And an Elder Tailor/Legendary Smith

Soulburner
05-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Currently Playing Lineage 2, got it with Best Buy gift certificates and im in the 1 month free trial so i'm trying it out. Seems pretty cool so far.

Çhrist0ph
05-06-2004, 01:05 PM
are there any free MMORPG's out there?
I could never bring myself to pay a monthly fee just to play a game.

Techmasta
05-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Çhrist0ph

There is one that I've been watching but it isn't out yet. GuildWars.com They are having a free demo May 12-14. You can go download the client now though.

Charles Wirth
05-06-2004, 01:37 PM
I did the L2 beta

The game has many flaws and a high monthly charge.

Basicly a treadmill type game where you constantly kill mobs close to your level and each level gets harder to complete.

PVP and PK is a major part of the game. Some of the rules are whacked like healing red players and not turning red yourself. (red meaning they are a PK'er)

The graphics engine is good and often laggy on high end systems. There is a memory leak in the released version where extended play will become impossible on occasion.

Player sales are also bugged where you could sell a high end weapon for 220 adena when you are asking 220,000 adena. This is also a problem on stacked items. Players will check ever seller for bugged items.

I would suggest passing on this game. not enough content and no reward. Better off buying game money on ebay from the start if you plan on paying this game. pick up at least 1million adena if you want to level fast. buy weapon first and BP/legs later.

Consider this rev of L2 (next patch in june) as paid beta.

Everquest 2 beta signup is now open

Still waiting for WoW

Charles Wirth
05-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Soulburner, the female charecters are drawn pretty nicely. The Light Elf is wearing white lace thong.

No comment on the dwarf females...

Soulburner
05-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Hehe, yeah i've seen the lace panties on the elven chicks...I think its funny how they can do all that fighting in high heels too :D

The dark elven women are always dressed in kinky skimpy leather too...

I think some of those flaws you mentioned have been worked out, the game runs pretty well for me and I haven't encounted any major bugs other than the pathfinding, it can use some work.

I do agree with the healing/helping of reds, in other games that counts against you.

Çhrist0ph
05-06-2004, 06:23 PM
i dl'd guild wars, only to realize ill be away from my comp on the days it is free to play. At least ill be in hawaii though :D

lalPOOO
05-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Anyone try City of Heroes?
My friend just got it a couple of days ago and so far he said its been pretty good. I'm thinking of picking it up, but I want to hear some other opinions on it if possible.

Iridium192_217
05-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Star Wars Galaxies anyone?

I play SWG a lot & would recommend it to anyone.

Soulburner
05-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah, they really need to fix this memory leak...I believe it to be causing the performance problems some people complain about.

Here is my page file maxed out...I have an upper limit of 1000 (that's page file size + RAM).

Imagine if there was no limit? It would consume my entire HD...

Soulburner
06-01-2004, 08:41 PM
This game looks good :cool:

Reminds me of Neverwinter Nights at times

Rapidone
06-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Çhrist0ph

When I quit DAOC I sold my account and character for £30 more than the total I paid, for the game, expansion pack and 9 months subscriptions.

That's even beter than free gaming, being paid to play. Lol.

Soulburner
06-04-2004, 11:51 AM
I know what you mean. I've sold a LOT of gold from UO thru paypal (about 30-40 million worth) at $10-15 per...and i'm not done yet either I still have things left to get rid of, including the account itself.

`schr0et
06-24-2004, 07:48 AM
I'm a SWG whore now... its so sad how I went from loathing MMORPGs to now being addicted to one...

http://www.gonad.org/upload/images/kimoshot2.jpg

Iridium192_217
06-25-2004, 01:57 AM
your a BH I see.....solo that kimo yourself?

`schr0et
06-25-2004, 11:34 AM
yeah that was while I was still grinding invest, I mastered BH 2 weeks ago then dropped it cause devs suck.

Now I'm master swords/master fencer and grinding holo (just finished artisan)

Soulburner
06-25-2004, 09:52 PM
SWG never really appealed to me...

I'm going 40 tomorrow for my occupation change though, should be fun :D

Gogeta
07-08-2004, 07:05 AM
I just quit Lineage 2. The level grind is completely and utterly UNBEARABLE unless you have 12+ hours a day to waste. I had a 42 Dark Avenger on Sieghardt, and was a member of the Vendetta clan, so its not like I didn't try :P

I'm waiting for guild wars now. Looks like it could start a MMO revolution.

Soulburner
07-08-2004, 08:15 AM
I don't think its too bad, but it does take me from monday to friday to level once because I work 10 hour days.

I still like the game though and the grouping/pvp is hard to beat.

Currently a 42 SS...

Got anything you might want to donate? :D

Charles Wirth
07-08-2004, 08:59 AM
I have a lvl 42 SS on gustin that I quit playing a month ago. beta charecter with top end max enchanted D gear and some C stuff.

I solo'd first floor of cruma way too many times with anywhere from 2~8% EXP per round of krators and porta's. Id drop like 20+ mobs at once.

Charles Wirth
07-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Oh yeah, rumor has it we will hear some HL2 news soon.

got your cupon handy?

sandman
07-08-2004, 10:06 AM
I've been playing Sacred, it's pretty damn good.

Soulburner
07-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by FUGGER
I have a lvl 42 SS on gustin that I quit playing a month ago. beta charecter with top end max enchanted D gear and some C stuff.

I solo'd first floor of cruma way too many times with anywhere from 2~8% EXP per round of krators and porta's. Id drop like 20+ mobs at once.
I solo but not in Cruma...

I have all C gear now...time to go looking for trouble :D

The PvP in this game is awesome.

`schr0et
07-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by FUGGER

Last I saw slated release was september at earliest, this news is in relation to an earlier release I'm hoping? I'd drop SWG in a second without thinking twice if HL2 has a good CS engine.

Gogeta
07-22-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Soulburner
Got anything you might want to donate? :D

Hehe :D

I dropped all of my stuff in the clan bank....but if you want the account, its yours if you're willing to pay the monthly fee :rolleyes: