PDA

View Full Version : Question About PCI divider and Hard drives

MudWhistle
09-24-2002, 12:18 AM
Hi, I'm currently deciding weather I should opt for a new AGOIA xp 1600 and replace my existing 1600 (forget spec, it's older like from last december but maxes out at 1600mhz). This is for my 2nd box which i use mainly for encoding DVD to divx 5.02. What I want to be able to do is run a new AGOIA at around 1800mhz or so (Should be possible on good air) 10.5 * 172. This would run me at around 43mhz on my PCI rail. I know that is fairly high but I think this board can do it, gonna throw some AS2/3 on the northbridge and replace the heatsink. What my concern is of course the 43mhz on the pci rail. I have a 40 gig Seagate Cuda IV here that I could use that should be able to handle that, I can rip out the soundblaster cause dont really need it for encoding, but I need a NIC, I have about 10 laying around here, i'm sure one will work. So basically I just need a hard drive and video card that can handle the stress. I heard of someone (maybe oppainter) using a Promise Controller card for their hard drives because they natively were for PCI 66 slots I guess for server boards but are backward compatable for 32 bit pci slots. I'm not sure how this works with the timings, like how the promise card works with the hard drives in particular. I mean does it (the promise card) work up to 66mhz pci then have it's own clock gen for it's ide ports?, or am I totally off base here. Any help here would be appreciated. I dont really want to get rid of this board (not sure if the kg7 will work with the new 2400/2600xp athlons) but I want to get it fast enough to encode movies the best it can, thanks.

My specs on this pc:

Abit KG7 (not raid or lite)

SB Live 5.1 (I could possibly take this out, don't really need it)

Linksys 10/100 Nic (Verified to work up to at least 39mhz (155,156 fsb). I'm sure this nic can do more and if not I have a few 3com's/Intel/Dlink's floating around here somewhere.

XP1600 (current one does about 1600 mhz on vantec 6035 copper heatisink w/as2 and 60 mm 5500 rpm fan).

256 Crucial DDR PC-2100 (This ram can do 185-190 ish on my IT7 with loose timings @ 2.8 volts).

20 gig Maxtor 7200 rpm (older drive, about 2 years old still works good but is sensitive at high fsb)

Asus Geforce MX 32 meg (Not sure if this can handle high agp speed, I have a few cards I could test out on this).

Good 375W AMD approved etc power supply (cost me like 85 canadian). My 5V rail is like 4.95 under p95 torture test @ 1600mhz right now. I think it might be made by HEC.

docah
09-24-2002, 11:47 AM
I find it unlikely that the kg7 lite will hit 172fsb with great stability.
Mine wouldn't, though the same parts on a kr7a were fine and dandy.

MudWhistle
09-24-2002, 05:02 PM
Thanks for your reply docah, I did some research last night and came to the conclusion the KG7 can hit high fsb with some volt modding which is out of my league. What do you attain on your fsb? how high?, what voltages and what pci/agp card(s) do you have?

I'm just curious cause I have the option of either trading my current 1600xp in for a decent agoia xp 1600 or 1700 (price is the same) for like 15-20 dollars. If i go with the 1700 (which im leaning towards more now cause of the higher multi) I should be able to hit aroudn 1750-1800 with decent air it seems.

Or do you think I should wait for the new thoroughbred b cpu's like the xp2400/2600 cpu's they should be available within a month or so, not sure if this board can run .13 micron chips without sending the board to abit (which would defeat the purpose of this cheap upgrade)..

any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks for the reply again docah