PDA

View Full Version : Bad WB for chilling??

Miles_Teg
04-03-2004, 07:20 AM
Hi fellas,

I'm in the testphase of my new waterchiller. But something's bugging me. I have the thermostat of the chiller set to +5°C, but the CPU temp reads 25°C (in bios as well as MBM). That's a delta-T of 20°C!! Wayyy too much it seems to me. At first, dT was even 25°C, but the WB and CPU didn't make good contact, a little piece of the CPU didn't even make contact. After reseating the WB, I gained 5°C, but still, dT=20°C seems a lot to me. Do mind that the 5°C is the coolant temp on the bottom of the reservoir (=evap), and that there's around 1.5 meters of tube to the WB insulated with armaflex.

Is this normal, or is my good ol' Maze2 due for replacement?

saratoga
04-03-2004, 06:14 PM
Actually that sounds about right to me. The Maze2 isn't steller, particularly if you have the orginal one like me and not the Maze 2 V2.

Peen
04-03-2004, 07:18 PM
I got the same problem or even worse! My coolant was -25c and my CPU diode was saying +30 under load! D-tek Spir@l. But i think its the AS5 . I need Ceramique

Miles_Teg
04-04-2004, 02:57 AM
hmm,

Thinking about the matter for some more I reackon this dT I'm seeing isn't that odd. Take the Vapochill (SE) for instance... The evaporating temp must be quite low, yet, the CPU temp doesn't remain sub-0 under heavy loads.

So I guess dT increases when the temperature gets lower.

saratoga: I do have the V2 version, but even so, these blocks are really old and cannot compete with modern designs. Nice to know I'm not alone in this, and to get this feedback to stop me from worrying any longer.

Peen: I don't think it's just the AS5. I'm using AS3 atm which shouldn't be as good as AS5. Your Spir@l WB should be better then my Maze2 too. Even so, my dT is wayyy better. You might wanna check WB to CPU contact.

afireinside
04-04-2004, 07:51 AM
Block design doesent really matter whith temps as low as they are with a chiller. Its all about ease of insulation. My -19C window AC chiller with a TC4 block and a stock 1800+ DLT3C idled around -8C...

Miles_Teg
04-04-2004, 09:41 AM
afireinside,

Not saying you didn't; but have you read the replies in this thread be4 posting yours? Saratoga has the same (apart from different revisions) waterblock as me, and he (like me) is also seeing delta-T's much higher then your newer TC4 waterblock.

My chiller makes it down to -18°C, around the same temp as you. But my dT=20°C, and yours 11°C. With my dT I'm never gonna see sub-0 CPU temps, and you make it down to -8°C. So you see, a good waterblock can make a difference.

saratoga
04-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Keep in mind block performance probably drops a little as the coolant gets colder (and thus more viscus).

afireinside
04-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Liquid can make a difference to. I dont understand that crap at all but water transfers heat better than like methanol...

Miles_Teg
04-05-2004, 05:32 AM
saratoga,

True, but I don't think my -70°C capable 100% concentrated windshield fluid will get a higher viscosity to such an extend that performance would be influenced by even 1°C. After all, we're talking -15 ~ -20°C here, nowhere close to -70°C...

afireinside,

I know liquid makes some difference, but I've tested different 100% liquids and mixtures of them myself. I found out that even though water has a thermal capacity way higher then, say, glycol, in reality non of them differ more then 3°C tops.