PDA

View Full Version : Chilling question

Marvin
04-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi friends, i am trying to finish my chilled rig, but i have some question, that maybe you can help me.:cool:
1 - block : I am not going to use comercial blocks, since i am afraid of poly tops, o rings working with subzero temperature. It is a total copper base that i mkae some changes.
http://www.terra.com.br/fotos/foto.cgi/OBsquKCHmnXlZAxTSuqar.GR20S1Y0Zdjklu2yvTIm8fK./p1010025.jpg

cut this base in the half, to maximize the flow and make a copper top.
Should I use a propane torch ?

2- Does my Eheim 1250 works reliable with -30 C ??
best regards

S_I_N
04-02-2004, 10:20 PM
is -30c your water temps? if so it most likely will not remain once you add the heatload to it. I have run a few sub zero water setups and have never had any probs with o'rings or poly tops for that matter. But I do understand how it can be affected bny temps.

braizing it is your only option if ur not using a o-ring AFAIK. And I believe as long as your water mix remains liquid (not slush)the pump will be fine.

OCme
04-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Marvin

1 - block : I am not going to use comercial blocks, since i am afraid of poly tops, o rings working with subzero temperature.

Marvin, don't be afraid of using a waterblock (WB) with an o-ring seal. Many XS members are using comercial WB's at temps much colder than you are chilling to and are experiencing no problems from the posts that I have read. I would not recommend using a WB that was brazed together for the simple fact that if you ever developed an internal problem with the WB it would be harder to diagnose and correct. An all metal WB would be safer than one with a plastic top, and have a little bit better thermal properties to boot.

Marvin
04-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by OCme
Marvin, don't be afraid of using a waterblock (WB) with an o-ring seal. Many XS members are using comercial WB's at temps much colder than you are chilling to and are experiencing no problems from the posts that I have read. I would not recommend using a WB that was brazed together for the simple fact that if you ever developed an internal problem with the WB it would be harder to diagnose and correct. An all metal WB would be safer than one with a plastic top, and have a little bit better thermal properties to boot.
OCme, thanks for your help, but as i am not an expert in chiller cooling , I have searched about that. I am so noob that i am asking your help:) .
But i have read a lot people saying that is no good the contact betweeen the coolant(MethanoƧ, anti-freeze) and o rings and metal tops.
As i have this base, is much easier and cheaper to use a copper top thanbouying a new one:) .
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32059&highlight=copper+block