PDA

View Full Version : XTREME cooler !!

Privateer
09-23-2002, 09:15 AM
This is my latest toy.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.hamilton37/portable%20cooler.jpg

BUT.
When i turn it on it trips the mains,in USA do you have similar,would anyone know why its doing it.
:confused:

Smizack
09-23-2002, 09:20 AM
Usually, the only reason the breaker would trip would be from drawing too much current at once.
How long is it on before it trips the breaker?

Privateer
09-23-2002, 09:33 AM
imediate.

IFMU
09-23-2002, 10:33 AM
My guess is that there might be a short somewhere within the setup. Most of the time it'll flip it when it either draws to much juice to fast and the lines cant handle it, or when theres a short somewhere and its groundin out/sending positive juice where its not supposed to go and flips it.
I know this will sound wierd, but was this originally made for use over there? You guys run on a different current level or something?? That might be made for elsewhere and its not pullin the right amount.... just a thought.... if it is good for yea, Id check for shorts.

Privateer
09-23-2002, 10:43 AM
IT WAS made for UK.
I found out its a portable cooler for a MIG Welder.

kms
09-24-2002, 01:54 AM
how olds your property ? my guess is you either have rcd protection & its detecting leakage current or its genuine over current. You got an ammeter ?

Hardass
09-24-2002, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by kms
how olds your property ? my guess is you either have rcd protection & its detecting leakage current or its genuine over current. You got an ammeter ?
That cooler is 220V.

kms
09-24-2002, 03:44 AM
i meant how olds his house hardass, for the last 10yrs or so in the uk the consumer boards are fitted with RCD's (Residual current devices) for sockets - think you call them by another name in the states. They're over sensitive a lot of the time especilly with older electronics

Hardass
09-24-2002, 04:04 AM
We call them circuit breakers and some are sensitive here also. But you can,t run 220v on a 120v circuit. That,s his problem.

Privateer
09-24-2002, 04:21 AM
Yup i do have those trip switches,this time it tripped puttung plug in socket with switch off.im rewiring it.

Privateer
09-24-2002, 05:00 AM
Rewiring failed.
I have a
80A RCCB 30Ma Trip switch.

Privateer
09-24-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Hardass
We call them circuit breakers and some are sensitive here also. But you can,t run 220v on a 120v circuit. That,s his problem.

Hardass.
Were 240v over here.so it should work.
Sorry that was blunt,

kms
09-24-2002, 06:16 AM
you could try running a new spur on an MCB and not an RCD, or try it at an older house withour rcd. rcd's check for an imbalance between live (feed) & neutral (return), i.e. any imbalance & it thinks theres leakage to earth so it trips. My guess is due to age etc some of the insulation may have degraded, it may well run for years on an old supply or you can pull the earth on some appliances to check but if you do BE CAREFUL!!!!!

Privateer
09-24-2002, 06:19 AM
Why arnt you folding for XTREME.;) ;)

kms
09-24-2002, 06:24 AM
lol all spare cpu's on seti atm, did fold an age ago for team picard but was bad news for people stuck on dial up, is it still the same ?

Privateer
09-24-2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by kms
lol all spare cpu's on seti atm, did fold an age ago for team picard but was bad news for people stuck on dial up, is it still the same ?

Im not sure, Hardass will have the answer,Yo buddy your needed,can you answer please.:D :D

Hardass
09-24-2002, 01:50 PM
I think the only diff now is you are able to set up F@H to connect automatically, even on dial up.

kms
09-26-2002, 12:15 AM
is it possible to cache units now ? or do you still have to crunch a load in parallel if your not connected all the time ? TIA

Privateer
09-26-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by kms
is it possible to cache units now ? or do you still have to crunch a load in parallel if your not connected all the time ? TIA
When it comes to anything software related im left in the slow lane,but what i did,was set the client to ask permision when done,so you know its finished,also there an option ,that can be set on pause when done,so you can manually upload finished WU..:D Does this help.

kms
09-27-2002, 01:25 AM
can you download more than on WU ? With seti for e.g you can download say a cache of a 100 WU's & it will crunch one & when complete move onto the next, then just upload manually. When i folded b4 you either had to have a permenent on connection so it could send completed & get new WU or there was a util that would allow you to crunch a load of wu's in parallel but thats a pain in the a$$ as you ended up with a load of dos boxes all over. All it is im stuck on a slowdem so need to cache WU's if possible as i cant leave my machine on the web & the thought of a WU finishing over night & my machines sitting there idle is bad :D

Dissolved
10-02-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Privateer
Hardass.
Were 240v over here.so it should work.
Sorry that was blunt,

220/240 are the same. From what ive been told, voltage may vary house to house. it can reach 240v but usualy settles around 220.