PDA

View Full Version : How do I Cut a 120mm blowhole?

gkiing
03-30-2004, 03:58 PM
I want to cut two 120mm blowholes in the top of my Lian Li PC65B case. I was going to use a dremel but then I found out that you can't use the reinforced cutoff wheels because their a friction tool, and friction tools dont work well on aluminum.

I'm thinking about taking the case to a machine shop and having the holes "stamped" out with something.

What's the best way to do this with the least (preferably zero) damage to the case?

Craig
03-30-2004, 06:46 PM
Go to your local Lowe's store and ask for a 4.5" hole cutter blade. Not the cheapest mod tool you'll buy, but for doing blow holes for great results they are a must have item.

A 3" would also be a good investment, for doing 80mm holes.

Cut the holes from the inside out to be sure of not having any scratches around the hole when the cutter first starts to cut.

gkiing
03-30-2004, 06:55 PM
How much are the 4.5" hole cutter blades? Is that just like a regular hole cutter that goes on the end of a drill?

Theres no lowe's here in canada, but there is home depot and other hardware stores. I looked on the net and the biggest hole saw was 2 and 1/2"

Nohto
03-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Your best bet would be to get a Greenlee Knockout. They are rather expensive, but you could go to any electrical company and I am sure that you could get one of the guys to knockout the hole for you. I have the hydraulic set that goes up to 4" conduit (4.5" actual hole). They cost around $1300.00 for the set.

Nohto
03-30-2004, 09:21 PM
The knock-out makes perfect holes!!!!! I personally wouldn't cut a hole in my LianLi case with anything else!!! Hey I didn't. LOL:D :D

gkiing
03-30-2004, 10:01 PM
sounds good, thats what someone suggested to me before. I'm probably going to go to a machine shop and offer them 10 or 20$ to knock out two holes.