PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP startup screen

lalPOOO
03-30-2004, 01:45 PM
This ones really old, but I figure some of you use custom startup screens. You'll have to convert it back to .bmp but I'm guessing you already know that.

Also, for anyone reading, I may be able to post some of the nice backrounds I have made (of the non XS variety) at a decent quality in the near future.

Soulburner
03-30-2004, 07:17 PM
None of the ones I have will work for me, they all display in what looks like 8 bit color (like when you boot up in safe mode), but I can preview the boot screen and it looks just fine in windows.

And it is pre-made, 16 bit color. I can't figure out why they won't display correctly.

Peen
03-30-2004, 08:27 PM
I think the display driver is the last thing to load pretty much so you cant get more then 16 colors on those. If you can though, let us know lAPoo thats cool:)

Soulburner
03-31-2004, 06:32 AM
Yes I know but mine isn't displaying in 16 bit color like its supposed to, its only showing a few colors.

The image is all brown and ugly when it is not supposed to be.

ctgilles
03-31-2004, 10:28 AM
I quite like the one of the new Mini Cooper logo with the flag in it. Nice 'n' clean :)

lalPOOO
03-31-2004, 12:48 PM
Well it should be 16 colours, or change easily to it, as the picture you are looking at is a bmp converted to a jpg so its small enough to post. The original .bmp was 16 colours though I think.

I don't actually use any of the custom start up screens myself, due to all that weird garbage with the different versions of the kernal and stuff. I didn't want to screw up my 24/7 windows install just for one small thing like this. In this case me=panzy :p:

dobbz
04-05-2004, 07:28 PM
here's one i modified for 2K.

http://upload.richfool.com/uploaded/Adair.bmp

sky
04-08-2004, 01:06 PM
well thing is, those bootscreens ain't 16bit. they are actually 4 bit (16 colors). basically they are bmp files with just one flaw. your average windows bmp files stores the colors in r,g,b order. the bootscreen for windoze is g,r,b or something like that. i've had a farked up color scheme on the bootscreen once and had a fun time exchanging color values. didn't use any all-in-one tools, but fötöshöp, ressource hacker (for replacing files) and some others...
pretty mucho work for such a little sucker that after all doesn't show all that long. i'd rather have the ctrl-alt-del swap/logon user thing customized with my logo instead of the windoze logo - so far now luck (and i don't mean the screen where all the users are listed (in xp))

Violineb
04-10-2004, 04:07 PM
I always wanted to customize the startup screen. :D Now how do you do it though? :/

Amati Homage
05-06-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm pretty sure they have tutorials for all that stuff on www.themexp.org

Amati Homage
05-06-2004, 11:43 AM
that's comfirmed www.themexp.org/how_install.php, about halfway down the page.....

Amati Homage
05-06-2004, 11:45 AM
okay, its a bad link......... just click up on the link on the top of the page that says 'how to install', and then halfway down that page it gives the tutorial on Boot Screens

BuickBeast
05-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by dobbz
here's one i modified for 2K.

http://upload.richfool.com/uploaded/Adair.bmp

lol, do you have that same one for XP?