PDA

View Full Version : Defrag?

JAWS
01-24-2002, 01:33 PM
How many times a week/month do you defrag your HD?

I try defrag at least twice a month!

:)

JBELL
01-24-2002, 04:51 PM
once a month is a good rule of thumb....

Smizack
01-24-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by JBell
once a month is a good rule of thumb....

Yeah, once every month or 2. I just did last night...

But I still don't like XP:mad:

Lady_Germ
02-03-2002, 03:16 AM
how do you defrag your hard drive and what does it do?

JBELL
02-03-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Lady_Germ
how do you defrag your hard drive and what does it do?

as you use your computer and save files and delete them - the space they use to store the files become separated or DEFRAGMENTED

As this happens it starts to take your computer longer amounts of times to find the files that have been broken up... to recover this lost speed you need to run the defrag utility in your windows, just go to your start button --- programs --- accessories --- systems tools Inside there you will see the defrag tool just double click it and let it do what it needs to - it will take some time so plan accordingly because it can teake up to several hours.

Smizack
02-07-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by JBell

as you use your computer and save files and delete them - the space they use to store the files become separated or DEFRAGMENTED

As this happens it starts to take your computer longer amounts of times to find the files that have been broken up... to recover this lost speed you need to run the defrag utility in your windows, just go to your start button --- programs --- accessories --- systems tools Inside there you will see the defrag tool just double click it and let it do what it needs to - it will take some time so plan accordingly because it can teake up to several hours.

Learn something new every day huh?;)
Well, does anyone use anything except what is supplied by windows to defrag?

JBELL
02-07-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Smizack

Learn something new every day huh?;)
Well, does anyone use anything except what is supplied by windows to defrag?

norton had a good one built in their utilities package version 4.0 but it doesn't work with 2K pro....

DaGooch
02-08-2002, 12:32 AM
O&O Defrag uses the Windows 2000 management console and is a more thorough defrag program than the default one supplied with Windows 2000.
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,68526,00.html

Smizack
02-08-2002, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by DaGoochMeister
O&O Defrag uses the Windows 2000 management console and is a more thorough defrag program than the default one supplied with Windows 2000.
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,68526,00.html

That got a good review. I'll check it out.