PDA

View Full Version : Prome/Vapo Worth it?

Jaykuai
09-22-2002, 07:02 AM
I mean, when you have a chilled fluid cooling 226W pelt..

does a prome/vapo would really do something after that?

i know it reaches lower temps but.. 650 bucks.. oh :eek:

MrIcee
09-22-2002, 07:42 AM
Jaykuai:)

I have evaluated both..and yes..the Prometetia is a colder system than a 226watt pelt and chilled coolant solution...not to mention the elimination of the normal condensation proofing methods necessary with the Pelt/chilled coolant method.

Another point worth making is setup of the Prometeia could be done by a 10 year old with great success and without fear of crushing/chipping a cpu. I have used both for extended periods of time and will unequivockly say the Prometeia is the choice for serious overclockers at this time:)

Randi:D

TheDude
09-22-2002, 07:53 AM
I can only speak for the Vapochill...no it is not worth that amount of money. I just traded mine after 1 year of use, for a folding rig. I am sticking with water and maybe pelts again. I have heard much better reviews on the Prometetia and if MrIcee likes em that's good enough for me to consider one.:D

Aside from lower temps on the Prometetia...I like the fact that the refrigeration unit is located at the bottom of the case instead of the top..better balance and no leaking worries...just have to watch the evap for condensation. I rewrapped my Vapo evap hose to avoid this and it worked fine. Also comes with a better case that is very easy to change out if you want. If I had the funds right now...I would get one!

MrIcee
09-22-2002, 08:17 AM
No condensation issues at all with the Evap on the Prometeia:)

With HALT command enabled on my Athlon XP 1700+ I saw -48c temp at the Evap and -25c cpu temps at 2094Mhz. With the T-Bred cpu which runs much hotter...I still see -48c at the evap but only -17c with the HALT command enabled. Of course if you don't use the HALT command your realized temps will be much higher.

TheDude
09-22-2002, 08:22 AM
Cool...thanks MrIcee,

Even better...I didn't know about "Halt".
Prometetia sounds better and better the more I learn!:D

Jaykuai
09-22-2002, 09:58 AM
i dont much like the promethia case, i own a PC70 and i have modified it too much to my likes that i wouldnt change it for a promethia..

time ago at bit-tech i saw a guy that put a vapo evaportaor on the top of his PC70, but as i see the prome has the "thing" that goes to the CPU on the top, that way it HAS to be on the Bottom..

right?

another thing.. if i buy a P4 Prome, it can work with an AMD chip or viceversa?

Hardass
09-22-2002, 10:02 AM
They sell adapters so you can just change out the head unit for whatever cpu you are using.

Jaykuai
09-22-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Hardass
They sell adapters so you can just change out the head unit for whatever cpu you are using.

i see..

another "bad thing" is that it just works for one pice of system, i mean CPU or VCard..

hmm.. this is a hard choice.. :rolleyes:

TheDude
09-22-2002, 10:14 AM
Some guys add water cooling to cool gpu, nb, hdd...hey it's extreme I admit...but look where you are!:D

Hardass
09-22-2002, 10:17 AM
I put my order in, be glad when they get here!:cool:

MrIcee
09-22-2002, 10:18 AM
The case of the Prometeia is easily removed by removing 4 bolts..and by making a cut in the bottom left rear corner of your case or any case...any case can be attached and used with the Prom...witness OPPAINTER attaching his Swiftech Quietpower case in place of the Prom's Enlight.

They make kits for either AMD or Intel CPU...but bear in mind...the Prom attachment method is very easy to implement...much easier than many waterblocks/pelt assemblies. This means almost no chance or chipping or crushing a cpu...unlike the learning curve of the Vapo..which even an experienced Vapo user can far too easliy ruin a cpu without much trouble.

I prefer the Prom over Vapo for many reasons..and the CPU/Evaporator attachment method is the best by far of any system. The Vapo 2 is now using a simililar compressor as the successful Prometetia...but still utilizes the same Evap attachment merthod which I do not like...lets face it..I've seen far too many Vapo users who have expressed disdain because of destroyed cpu's above all else.

I believe the Prom's performance, the easy change of using your own case of preference, and the fact the Evaporator is the easist attachment of many HSF/Waterblock and other phase change evap methods...adds up to a a very user friendly and high performance unit.

Jaykuai
09-22-2002, 10:46 AM
yeah, i also think that Prome is better than Vapo.. here my prob is this:

i dont want to have the prome case (even the bottom part) also, my case is larger so it cant stand on the top of the evap case.

what i wanna do is put the prome inside my case..

but for that i would need to put the prome upside down so the evaporator line can go down instead of up.. also i would need to blend it..

is that possible?

MrIcee
09-22-2002, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure that it would be an easy job installing the Prom in your case..especially if you want it on the top. It can probably be done but nothing I'd want to get involved in.

As far as your case not standing on top of the Prom...you would remove the feet and bolt it via 4 bolts to secure it to the Pom if that is in fact what you wanted to do.:)

Jaykuai
09-22-2002, 11:11 AM
the "pipe" that goes from the compressor to the processor can be blended?

Ewok
09-22-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Jaykuai

i see..

another "bad thing" is that it just works for one pice of system, i mean CPU or VCard..

thats why I wont bother with it, no nb, no hdd, no gpu cooling unless u go and add water to it as well so you may gain 200mhz or so cpu speed over water, but unless you add water anyway to cool gpu and nb, your not going to get as high clocks on the mem or gpu so you will probably lose performance for games even with the 200mhz more cpu.

So if I was getting anything it would be the swiftech quiet power case, itll then do cpu, hdd, nb and gpu without problem, be quieter than a prometeia because you could turn the rad fans right down, and cost a lot less. all you would lose is couple hundred mhz cpu speed. Unless your going to be doing competitive 3dmark and the like (in which case these people will be cooling the gpu and nb with water as well anyway), I dont think the prometeia is the best option for most people. A decent watercooling setup will be cheaper and overall not be much down on performance if any, over a plain prometeia without cooling on nb and gpu. Even if you watercool the gpu and nb seperately, its a lot of expense and hassle when al your going to gain over a standard water setup is 200mhz on the cpu.

Also in these days when high voltages are killing cpu's, its no longer tha case that you can use extreme cooling just to be able to ram a load more voltage up its arse to gain a load more mhz. So the only gains in cpu speed over standard water, are the gains from it physically being cooler, you wont be able to gain more by upping the voltage because water can handle the P4's safe voltage of 1.75 absolute max (1.7 to be perfectly safe). Which means if anything, these extreme cooling solutions are not as needed now as they used to be, because now they dont allow extra voltage to be used.

So for those that are going to run competitive benchmarks and watercool the parts the prometeia doesnt, its the best option, otherwise I would go with plain water myself.

TheDude
09-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Ewok...

You made some good points!

:D

MrIcee
09-22-2002, 04:04 PM
I disagree with the voltage argument...high voltage might kill the P4...but no ones shown that it'll kill a T-Bred yet. I'm on week 3 of running a T-bred in my Prom at 2300Mhz+ at 2.15v without a problem....and I'll keep you fella's updated as I progress. I'll soon be switching out this 2200+ XP for a 2600+ or better.

PS. As far as other cooling...my NB is aircooled as are my HD's etc. Only my vidcard is watercooled by my previous watercooling setup. In my years of building and benching...I have not yet seen the need on my systems for watercooling other than the CPU and GPU. Maybe its just the Abit boards I run..or my drives..but I've had excellent performance and longevity .

Player0
09-22-2002, 04:21 PM
Off topic...does anyone know the average KWH draw of the Prometia?

Im surprised to see that it works better than a chilled water/226w peltier combo. Im hoping for -30c at least on the CPU with my chiller system. I have water temps of -10c now.

I guess the true advantage of real chilled water is that you can chill GPU, ram, etc as well as the CPU, which is a slight advantage over just standard watercooling these. But it could all be done in the Prometia case as well.

Still thinking about getting one hehe :)

Ewok
09-23-2002, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by MrIcee
I disagree with the voltage argument...high voltage might kill the P4...but no ones shown that it'll kill a T-Bred yet.

Well it was either you or opp, probably opp, that told me in a thread a few weeks ago that voltage can and does kill tbreds just like P4's (only with more voltage), whoever it was said he had killed at least one tbred with voltage (maybe more) and heard of others.

Either way they are less prone to it due to their different design over the P4, but every time the process gets smaller, the voltage you can use safely on it without electro-migration is going to be less, as well as the stock voltages being less to start with which will mean less heat anyway. So the need for these extreme coolings to reach any given voltage is still getting less and less.

Ive heard that on a P4 at high fsb the nb can get very hot (amd ones dont seem to get so hot 34c on my KX7 with stock and AS3) so that would need more than just air if your gonna go to extremes, which is what the prometeia is all about. You dont need to cool a hdd with water of course, but if your going to need to cool the gpu then you may as well cool the nb and hdd as well, it gets rid of some fans and keeps em cooler without having much effect on temps for everything else.

Not that I've ever used anything other than air to cool any part of a pc, thats just all stuff i picked up from reading. My next upgrade will be water though, just to get rid of the noise.