PDA

View Full Version : How convinient are chillers?

Çhrist0ph
03-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Im asking because the only thing holding me back from starting up a chiller project is my doubts about the convinience.

portability is not an issue, as i havent moved my computer in almost a year. but, i do turn it on and off a few times a day. i dont leave it on at night, and if i go somewhere for a few hours, i usually turn my computer off.

how long does it take for a chiller setup to turn on? is it similar to a prommy or vapo ? or does it take longer to cool the liquid enough. and can i just leave it on 24/7, only turning on the pump when i boot my system?

water_cooler 20
03-29-2004, 06:14 PM
if u use a gooded sized compresor, fine tune the sys, and the main thing with getting it to get cold quick is to use a small res but not to small or your cooler may not beable to cope with load
with that u might be able to get the water to cold temps in mins

i'm not sure how long it takes with a Window AC chiller since it wouldn't be as finely tuned but with a small res u might still get quick cooling time:D

Keeper
03-29-2004, 06:51 PM
If you set up your system with a well insulated reservoir (and a chiller that will handle your load), it will take about two minutes to cool your block to below freezing after 16 hours of down time.

Çhrist0ph
03-29-2004, 06:52 PM
but what about running the compressor 24/7? would it raise the electric bill a lot, and How noisy are waterchillers?

kayl
03-29-2004, 06:58 PM
depends on how you want to use your system
i cool 30 mins (20 litres) and get h20 to 2deg with ice block forming. i have about a 5600btu airconditioner.
i then use a slight over clock say 11x200 for xp3200 and very little vcore 1.8v and a tec 226w power at 9.23v and i can run this things on internet and playing gerenals online, crunching and not have to turn the airconditioner on again for 4 hours, even when the h20 is around 20deg the cpu is idling below 10 degs.
i could even not choice to use the thing untill the h2o reches 30deg of what eva and still have around room temperaurtre cpu temps.

Keeper
03-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Noise can be overcome, you will have a larger electric bill.

I like my clock up there so, as long as the PC is running so is the chiller. Running it about 10 hours a day costs me an extra $50 a month.

OCme
04-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Chillers are more convenient than promies in terms of set-up; they can be as large or as small as your imagination wills them to be. A single chiller can cool multiple blocks, a prommie just one… My rock-n-roll friend, Chillers Rock!

Gary Lloyd
04-14-2004, 03:24 PM
The less coolant, the faster the pulldown. You need just enough coolant to feed the blocks and little more. My latest tested evap/res design holds 24 ounces of coolant. It pulls down very quickly.

My latest chiller has a measured power consumption @115V/60hz of 3.2 amps at startup, quickly reducing to 2.8 amps at lowest temp.

My chillers are not noisy at all IMO, and can be mounted in a window since that is what they are designed for. When mounted in the window, they are dead silent, because the compressor and fan are outside.

Also, when the outdoor temp is cool, this gives them a major temperature/performance boost.

And yes, as small as they are, they are larger than they need to be. I could squeeze a chiller into a prommie case, and could probably autocascade it in there, too. I base my chillers on window A/C units to keep prices down, and more importantly to obtain the window mounting advantage. That's the smallest case size window A/C's come in.

http://www.gatecom.com/~tmethod/027_27.jpg

trueplaya4ever8
04-14-2004, 06:36 PM
hey gary i like to see a auto cascade in an ac case... that would some tight work.

Gary Lloyd
04-14-2004, 08:57 PM
hey gary i like to see a auto cascade in an ac case... that would some tight work.

No problem. Would you like direct die block(s) with that or chiller?

trueplaya4ever8
04-15-2004, 01:16 PM
what ever you feel like doin, how much do you think that would run you with direct die blocks? j/w