PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell 2 difficulties

Meteor|WAR
03-29-2004, 06:57 AM
Anyone else tried installing the full version yet? Got it yesterday but i cant get it to install.

It get's half way through installing the 2nd disc then my computer freezes, total lock up and i have to hit the reset button. I did get one strange error message during one of the few times i tried installing, something about "wrong volume being in the cd drive". This is when it gets to the point where it asks me for disc 2...i put it in then it tells me wrong disc is in the drive and to try again. I'm thinking my cd drive's having a problem with the game. Was thinking about trying to install it on my bro's PC later.

3rd-Dimension
03-29-2004, 09:06 AM
try getting alcohol 120% create isos. mount the isos. then install from them. or use clonecd. create the iso and mount in daemon. I installed my "review copy" and no probs.

Meteor|WAR
03-29-2004, 10:37 AM
thanks for the reply 3rd-Dimension, but i got it to install. I tried installing it on my bro's computer and it installed perfectly, naturally i was pissed. But i noticed something weird, when i inserted the 2nd disc for installation in my brother's computer it autoplayed and the contents of the disc came up as a cabinet file, while on my comp it came up as a Winzip file. I then decided to try uninstalling Winzip on my comp since my bro didnt have it installed...tried installing it again on my rig and it installed smoothly without any problems. How the hell can Winzip affect the installation of the game is beyond me?? Somehow the files on disc 2 were coming up as zipped, and the install program couldnt install them. This is definitely one of the weirdest computer problems i've ever come across but i'll probably use WinRAR over Winzip from now on.

Ulfar
03-30-2004, 05:53 AM
win zip, is the devil. Viva win rar

Soulburner
03-30-2004, 06:51 AM
www.winace.com

Meteor|WAR
03-30-2004, 08:08 AM
I've got the WinRar corporate edition i'm all set.:D

sky
04-06-2004, 11:01 PM
the reason why it showed up as a winzip archive on your system might be pretty easy. after all most install files are *.cab files so if you set your file associations for cab-files to winzip, winrar, winace, winwhatever the win-explorer will probably open it in either of those tools.
deactive your file-association for *.cab files and you should be set. easy as that. anyway.. i never had a problem like that and i've been running winace, winrar and winzip on the same machine.. hmm? ;)

Meteor|WAR
04-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Yup, that was the problem sky.

thanks for the reply.