PDA

View Full Version : New Exhaust for 98 Tahoe

CODE 4
03-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Anyone ever do a new dual exhaust setup for a 98 Tahoe or close to a 98? I just bought a 2 door model and I would like to get it breathing better. Also what other cheaper upgrades will help engine performance. Thanks in advace.

Inigmatics
03-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Get dual flowmasters:D

K&N air intake.

Have fun.

rhino56
04-20-2004, 02:08 PM
if your planning on duals the borlas are a good sounding muffler.
hooker comp headers. but none of it is cheap either.
if you got big bucks the the gale banks is one of the nicest ive seen.
but wow what a rip off.
you got the 5.7?
vortec heads do pretty well actually, you can get it breathing better by maf removal, cold air intake, and my favorite mod is the electric fans of a ls1 motor with an override switch.

flowmasters suck really, they are about the same as a cherry bomb or turbo. junk is what they are.

Soulburner
04-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by rhino56

vortec heads do pretty well actually, you can get it breathing better by maf removal, cold air intake,
LOL...I don't recommend removing the MAF....;)

Slickthellama
04-20-2004, 08:04 PM
just remove the muffler altogether. My friend's brother's muffler fell off his car when he was driving and it sounded like a hotrod:eek: too bad it's a '91 caddy :D

Inigmatics
04-21-2004, 04:13 AM
I wouldn't remove the MAF either, but you can buy a higher flowing one and replace it.

Aside from intake and exhaust, I would just put on a nice set of wheels and tires with a decent stereo and call it done, but maybe I'm starting to feel old and practicle. Ah, f*ck it. Supercharge that beast.

Soulburner
04-21-2004, 10:15 AM
The Mass Airflow Sensor measures the incoming air...remove it, and your engine isn't going to run...you can buy an aftermarket one but the gains are -5 to +5 so basically nothing, and they can cause running problems with the engine. I usually don't recommend it.

rhino56
04-21-2004, 09:30 PM
i didnt mean remove the mass airflow sensor. its just a slang word used in free mods i guess.
maf removal means remove the honeycomb screen that is in there. from 96 to 98 the engines run fairly rich so you dont need to worry about it running lean. but just take the snap ring out and carefully remove it incase it throws a code you can put it back in. however i have never seen or heard of a 96-98 do anything but gain low end umph from it and just breath better all together.
sorry for the miscommunication.

drewtiss
10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Anyone ever do a new dual walker exhaust (http://www.thepartsbin.com/sitemap/walker~exhaust_pipe~parts.html) setup for a 98 Tahoe or close to a 98? I just bought a 2 door model and I would like to get it breathing better. Also what other cheaper upgrades will help engine performance. Thanks in advace.

I am thinking whether to replace my shocks this Christmas. Now, I am planning what setup would be great this winter season.