PDA

View Full Version : uhhh...need some networking help

PS2pcGAMER
03-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Usually I am pretty good about setting up things, but I had problems today.

I went to set up a friend's wireless router for her DSL, I've done this before without too much difficulty for other people. She is using Verizon DSL which Verizon has told me uses Dynamic IP's (they said that I didn't need to configure anything, for any setup). Anyway, I go to the router setup from the browser, choose Dynamic IP's and am unable to get the internet to work for the life of me.

The cables are connected correctly. Modem to WAN port. LAN to Computer. I figured I'd setup the computer connected to the wireless router with a patch cable first, before I hooked up the computer with the wireless card.

The WAN port and LAN port light up, but not the light that says the router is getting internet. I am also unable to ping any domain from the router.

I thought I may have screwed something up and did a hard reset, no dice.

It is a d-link wireless router (DI-524) and some generic modem.

Any ideas would be helpful. Verizon told me to call d-link tech support. D-link tech support was nice, but they said to use PPPoE dynamic, which also failed to work.

Thanks.

Twisted
03-20-2004, 10:12 AM
i trust you filled out the pppoe account info? and set up internal dhcp in the router?

PS2pcGAMER
03-20-2004, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I filled out the PPPoE info, correctly I believe.

Internal DHCP seems to be set up correctly as the computer's IP was a local one set by the router.

Twisted
03-20-2004, 01:05 PM
do you have to connect for the first tiem after you filled out the info and also look for a "router status" page in the router setup stuff

PS2pcGAMER
03-20-2004, 01:50 PM
I was able to connect to the internet with just the PC hooked up directly to the modem, but when I throw the router into the mix, it doesn't work. From the router status page I am unable to get an internet IP, through PPPoE or dynamic IP. I've done a lot of googling, they all seem to say PPPoE when using Verizon DSL, contrary to what verizon told me, so I am going to try messing with PPPoE some more. I'll let you know if I am still having problems.

Thanks

Twisted
03-20-2004, 02:02 PM
good luck :)
i have the same setup but i use sbc instead

PS2pcGAMER
03-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Cool, maybe you could help me some more then?

Did you use a patch cable or crossover cable when connecting the router to the modem?

At home, I am using a patch cable but I have seen references to using a crossover cable instead for this kind of setup.

feesh
03-30-2004, 09:00 PM
I have SBC DSL with a D-Link 614, so similar setup.

PPPoE and do not use a crossover cable.