PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Centrino?

wookie
03-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Well I have said that I will be selling my current computer and looking to get something a little different to experiment with. I have noticed that many online retailers sell the centrino processor on its own in retail box form.. Now will most / all desktop boards support it and since it is retail box I would assume it must be targeted at the desktop/tower crowd of people because usually laptop replacements are sold as oem due to the fact that the cooling setup is different based on different laptop manufacturers..

Anyone have any suggestions? I know that the Centrino is basically a Celeron with more cache but whatever I want to try something a little different and see what I can do with it. I think I recall seeing some people overclocking these Centrio to ~2.5ghz+ which should result in a pretty decent computer.. Anymore information (multipliers/fsb 400??) would be greatly appreciated and some thinks... Thanks again!

I could be wrong though but I thought it would work ona 478 socket... Anyways everyone has Mobile AMDs etc etc.. Wanna try something different... Hopefully maybe a AMD FX-51 will drop since the FX-53 is out it would give me a nice toy.. P4 EE are too expensive... Any input appreciated.

edit

maybe opertron or xeon ???? want to make something new and exciting... used amd and intel mainstream parts want to try something different... dual opertron?? etc... gimme some ideas.

Rio71
03-20-2004, 04:45 AM
hi,
you are a little bit wrong. :D

- centrino is a "technology", existing of cpu (banias=pentium-m) and chipset (i855xx) and wireless lan.

- p4m is a mobile p4 (northwood) with speedstep

- c4m is a mobile celeron (northwood) with only 256kb L2 cache (desktop-cely=128kb).
c4m is without speedstep.

- pentium-m (banias) is based of p6-architecture, 479pin (!) and include sse2, ddr-support, 100fsb and 1mb L2 cache.
for running pentium-m you need an spezcial board, wich is availeble.

the newest info is, pentium-m with 478pin for real desktop are listed on intels site.
see here (http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/list.asp?ProcFam=942&NoNav=NO&CorSpd=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&MfgTech=ALL&step=ALL&cache=ALL&PkgType=5882&btnFOS=Filter+on+selections)... promising... :D

c4m running in desktop on willamette-supporting boards.
i have two of them very well running here.
100fsb, cpu-default multi at boot, and 1,625v.

p4m seems to be running on all boards.
100fsb, any cp4m started with multi 12 and 1,575v default.
i hve them runnih too.

Szymek
03-20-2004, 05:34 AM
Is there any way to switch this 12 multi to other value ? :/

Kanavit
03-20-2004, 06:05 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on a desktop Dothan 2mb L2 Pentium-M 1.80ghz. That will definitely kick some arse in gaming there. I 've read that Pentium-M are also available in socket 603-604 Xeon platform as well.

I²K
03-20-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Rio71
hi,

- pentium-m (banias) is based of p6-architecture, 479pin (!) and include sse2, ddr-support, 100fsb and 1mb L2 cache.
for running pentium-m you need an spezcial board, wich is availeble.

There is also a s478 version but it is a other package.

There is another thread with a deeper discussion.

I 've read that Pentium-M are also available in socket 603-604 Xeon platform as well.

Yes, blades!

wookie
03-20-2004, 02:32 PM
So sorry can I just get some clarification....

Pentium 4-M = ???Socket and is it usuable on any desktop boards if so what chipset... A specific motherboard maybe for me to go on.

Pentium M = ???Socket with an upcoming one available for desktop but not as of yet?

Celeron M = ???Socket any more information?? Just want some clarification on these...

Thanks again.

I²K
03-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Pentium 4-M
s478-> should be usable on any P4 Mainboard wich can handle low voltage.

Pentium M
Availible in s478 (but with other package) and s479. Usable on i855. Most in Laptops but there are two (non ocble) desktop board with i855 (around 300-400€). Also used in blade server.

Celeron M
Not yet avalible?

BTW:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23626&highlight=pentiumm

wookie
03-21-2004, 04:43 PM
So if I were to purchase a retail pentium-m (centrino technology) and a Asus P4C800E-Deluxe I would be able to run it??? It still using Socket478??

Soulburner
03-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Whats pin #479 for? Speedstep?

saaya
03-21-2004, 09:21 PM
its the same thing with 939 and 940 not really a diference ;)

the big diference however is that the pentium-m comes in bga package and the pins are located diferently than a socket 478 board.

i still dont get why intel doesnt want anybody to use pentium-ms in desktop boards... they make money whther people buy a banias or a P4 so whats the big deal? why this diferent pin layout?

I²K
03-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by wookie
So if I were to purchase a retail pentium-m (centrino technology) and a Asus P4C800E-Deluxe I would be able to run it??? It still using Socket478??

First read the thread i linked and your question should be answered.

wookie
03-22-2004, 07:43 AM
By what I have read in the other thread and here is that it wouldnt be possible without alot of work... you wouldnt just drop the chip in and be set to go... i am understanding this right?

I²K
03-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by wookie
By what I have read in the other thread and here is that it wouldnt be possible without alot of work... you wouldnt just drop the chip in and be set to go... i am understanding this right?
Yes!