PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update Trouble

Rob
03-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Windows XP Professional, clean install.
2500+ Barton
256MB PC2700
A7N8X Deluxe Rev 1.06

I scan for updates using Windows update, it finds them.
I select any amount of any update in any category, then select "install"

It downloads, then instantly aborts when it comes to installing, and shows me the error page of windows update, saying "The following updates failed to install" with a red X etc.

It's doing my nut in, i've tried a fix online which told me to delete the windowsupdate files and WUTEMP folder etc. but no banana

Thanks a lot :)

Soulburner
03-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Have you messed with/disabled any services? (services.msc)

Rob
03-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Not at all, it's a fresh install

Tweaked!
03-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Are you trying to update with your rig overclocked? If so, back down on the oc some.

Karnivore
03-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Have you tried the network SP1 install?

Also, see if you have any valid restore points set, if so try a rollback, then update..

Rob
03-20-2004, 01:58 AM
It's all at stock speeds.

The reason i'm less inclined to try the network install is that i'm building the pc for someone else, and ideally the Windows Update facility should work normally :confused:

Any help much appreciated

Karnivore
03-20-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Rob
and ideally the Windows Update facility should work normally :confused:

Any help much appreciated

Uhh, why wouldn't it, SP1 replaces a large portion of the XP OS, possibly repairing your problem in the process... The Network install is simply the full service pack, without the need to download... and hopefully after it is installed it will continue on with the updates as normal. Either way it is worth a shot, if you have any doubts just set a restore point previous to the install...

Really sounds like you have little to lose...

Rob
03-20-2004, 06:15 AM
Thanks a lot for all the help, it just seemed to fix itself miraculously :confused:

Thanks