PDA

View Full Version : Compressors, Condensors, Evaporators...

m0tion
09-19-2002, 08:41 AM
Anyone know of a really good place to buy the items listed above? I'm working on a phase-change cooling system and I'm really not satisfied with the results I'm getting. I'd really like to start from scratch and design my own system, but I don't know of a good source for parts.

|PuNiSh3R|
09-19-2002, 09:18 AM
Make your own evaporator.. Go find frigerators on the street for trash.. yank the compressors from them.. Most of the time the compressors still work.. The way to test them is to put a shrader valve on the high side line (discharge) and then hook your high side gauge up to it.. leave the low side (suction line) open.. The compressor should put the gauge over 150PSI in like 20 seconds.. It should keep slowly rising and going up to 200PSI and even more probably.. Never went over 200PSI myself..

Either way if it does that.. then it works.. I am sure you will find a suitable compressor with that methode. Try to get the newest compressor possible so it's good on the electric.. Most full sized refrigerator/freezer combo setups have 1/4HP or 1/3HP compressors.. they also use R12.. unless otherwise stated.. So you just put mineral oil in them.. Which you can buy at a local drug store.. pure mineral oil.

As for the condensor.. this is a toughy.. depending on how much or how little space you want this setup to take. You could use anything from an air-conditioner evaporator or condensor.. or a dehumidifier..

I used my DD supercube.. Although it doesn't have enough surface area for this application. I added in 11' of 1/4" copper tubing.. in a coil design.. So now the supercube doesn't have to handle such a heatload.. and it actually works right.. You could make your own condensor.. having like 3 11' coils of 1/4" tubing in PVC pipe.. You would want the coils to enter at the top and exit the bottom on all of them.. so this is the hard part.. You'd have to split the discharge line off to go over to the top of the second coil .. then split the line from the second coil to go to the third coil.. You would need to install access ports on each coil and valves to control the flow so eachone got an equal amount of freon.. I'd imagine that would work pretty good.. I hardly have any airflow on my coil.. the freon enters at around 140F and leaves at like 80F.. so it works rather well.

m0tion
09-19-2002, 11:15 AM
not exactly what I meant. I'm not looking to salvage parts, I'd like to be able to look at new ones and piece a system together that way. There has to be a place that sells this sort of stuff, right?

bowman1964
09-19-2002, 06:12 PM
follow me and i will show you the way.....
http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4327

|PuNiSh3R|
09-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Screw that.. lol You will waste so much money.. You can get a condensor right out of an AC unit and it will be just like new depending on the age of the system.. If you think smart when setting this up.. you can have a pretty system.. from used parts.. it's all on your desire of work.

bowman1964
09-20-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by m0tion
not exactly what I meant. I'm not looking to salvage parts, I'd like to be able to look at new ones and piece a system together that way. There has to be a place that sells this sort of stuff, right?
well i am the only one online i know of that has built them from new and used.but he asked for new parts so i tried to help.dont fuss at him for just asking a question. we all build them in our own way.

|PuNiSh3R|
09-21-2002, 06:48 PM
i agree.. just showing that you can build a kick ass system from used parts and showing alternatives to get GOOD used parts.. just so he doesn't think that everything used is just garbage

bowman1964
09-21-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by |PuNiSh3R|
i agree.. just showing that you can build a kick ass system from used parts and showing alternatives to get GOOD used parts.. just so he doesn't think that everything used is just garbage

well i will say one thing |PuNiSh3R| sometimes a good used compressor will run circles around a brand new one.and most compressors from used fridges and freezes are fine.like i said sometimes you will fine a used compressor that for some reason,maybe broken in or just was a good day on the assembly line ,is a real gem of a find.

|PuNiSh3R|
09-21-2002, 09:35 PM
I agree.. I had one that just didn't want to work anymore.. and died soon after I started using it..

aenigma
09-22-2002, 01:15 PM
Pretty much all of the used compressors I have got work fine.I wouldnt waste money on new compressors,but thats just me.
One compressor I did have that was bad was from an old freezer that went through a flood.I fixed the wiring and got it to work, but it just never worked very good.I think it had no high side pressure.It was a 1/4hp....

Heh I even have this really old 1/6hp tecumseh (condensing unit) that is big enough to be a 3/4hp that works still.It was sitting out in a scrap yard with a hole drilled in the top....Other than not doing a good job sealing the top,it works fine.
One mans junk is another mans treasure :)

By the way rparts.com has some new stuff to buy, I think grainger.com does also.What you need to do is make a friend in HVAC that can hook you up :)