PDA

View Full Version : Watercooled 9700 - 4 pics

Creative
09-19-2002, 06:42 AM
I was able to remove the shim today after a bit of effort. Once I was able to lift one of the corners, it was easy to remove the others. Thanks to GOD for giving me the courage and strength I needed to get the balls to remove this shim :D

I chose to use the DD block for the reasons being its smooth base, and just ive read its a pretty beefy block that does its job. Here is a pic of it top down after being bolted to the board to see how the contact went.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/creat/post/101-0115_IMG.JPG

The next picture is a very good close up showing how high the core is off the PCB layer of the card. With the block on and in position, you can see the gap underneath inbetween the block and core. I did buy some Scotch foam tape to put under there, but to be honest, I forgot to use it.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/creat/post/101-0125_IMG.JPG

The last 2 pictures, which are my favourites are showing the temp of the back of the card as measured by a senfu probe sticky taped to the back of the core. The reason this makes me so happy is that this picture was taken after an hour of Nature and Dragothic looping while I was watching 24. It gets even better......this temp and stability was with the card clocked at 395/345 :eek:

I know its not the most accurate way of measuring but using this same method, and with the default HS and no modifications to the card, the temperature was inbetween 48-52 for the same testing.....and card wouldnt do above 388 for Nature and Dragothic. 390 for Lobby and Car. Pretty impressive huh
http://users.bigpond.net.au/creat/post/101-0150_IMG.JPG

http://users.bigpond.net.au/creat/post/101-0151_IMG.JPG

Anyways, thats it for me now. Im off to actually go benchmark this baby now and see how high I can get her. While typing up this post, it has looped Dragothic and Nature 10x each and reached a maximum temp of 25.2 and this was at 400/345.......SHE DOES 400!!!!:D

I have been testing since I wrote up that post at OCAU and she now is stable at 403/365 for a whole 3dmark run so Im pretty happy.....:toast:

Now to see what scores the card card give me....I just need a beefier cpu :p

N8
09-19-2002, 06:50 AM
Very cool, Creative :)

Thanks for sharing that w/ us...gave u a substantial difference in temps i see :D

Creative
09-19-2002, 07:16 AM
Thanks N8 :)

Im hoping the senfu probe is giving semi accurate temps cos if it is then yep im pretty impressed :D

Ambient now cos its a cold night with the door open is now 14celcius and the probe is reading now 23 under load so whether its accuarate we will never now....unless I fork out for one of those laser temp measurers...but they are $$$

Havnt got any results yet cos I cant get my cpu stable :( Ill try a few more times before bed :)

N8
09-19-2002, 07:23 AM
I have one of the laser ones here at work and I take it home every once in a while to play with. I don't have any experience w/ probe's, but I would venture to say that the laser's can't be too much more accurate than the probes. Just from my limited experience in playing w/ the laser thermometer.

sysfailur
09-19-2002, 10:15 PM
Rarr those cards are sexy.. I need to get my paws on one :P

Creative
09-19-2002, 10:38 PM
sysfailur you wont be disappointed :banana:

hehehe

sysfailur
09-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Creative
sysfailur you wont be disappointed :banana:

hehehe

If my out-of-country calling would work on my phone I would try to aquire one... :| But it isn't and thus, no card :(

Creative
09-20-2002, 07:41 AM
Self pimp of my new score after trying the Cat 2.2 6159 drivers....:D

Check my sig for the compare link, I think it puts me back on the front page....Im very very happy :toast:

But ive had enough, past 10 days nothing but 3dmark, :banana::banana::banana::banana: I havnt even played games yet :rolleyes: So tomorrow the gaming begind and the wait for my 2.66 that has been pretested to 3.3 @ 1.6volts on air arriving next week begins :cool:

I think Ill set my sights on Chong first :p
hehehh

Night all

BTBJP
09-20-2002, 11:12 PM
Looks good Creative. With those heatsinks how much improvment did you get from using them?
Im guessing you have had no problems with the core like some one else i saw melted some thing..??

TheDude
09-21-2002, 06:23 AM
That DD block looks great. I'm still running a g4 and just RMAed it. You did a very neat and pro looking job there dude!

Ragnarok
09-21-2002, 08:33 AM
nice work niggs :) now go break 18K!.. do it for briney :) :banana:

Creative
09-21-2002, 08:36 AM
TheDude, appreciate the comments man. Its comments like that that encourage us all along :) I tried to make it as clean as possible just incase the card needs warranty or something. Fingers crossed she doesnt die on me soon like the others. Ive toned her back to conservative 340/340 OC and no problems as yet with 12 hours of gameplaying :)

BTBJP, with the Tweakmonster ramchips I have been able to push the ram up to 370 with minor tearing. The same tearing with the ramsinks not installed occured at the 340ish mark. So thats about a 25-30mhz increase on the ram. Bear in mind also that I had a 50cfm sunon blowing onto the ramsinks after I installed them as to no fan before hand....:) No probs with the core as yet but I have toned her back now that Im not benching. Im waiting for my 2.66 in the mail next week :D

Cheers

mackanz
09-23-2002, 02:31 AM
Creative,

How do you remove the hs except for the 2 pins?
Is it glued on the gpu?

Mac

Creative
09-23-2002, 04:21 AM
Mac, your avatar scares me :D

With the hs, just get a small flathead scrwdriver and try to wedge it in under that first round pin at the top, thats actually a second pin and it comes out of the main pin...:)

I found this diagram at rage3d.com forums for me to use and ill post it for here too :D

Here is the way to undo the pins on the h/s, im assuming they use the same clips on the red boards with black h/s.
Heres a very crappy representation of the pin (wow it came out even more crappy then i expected)

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
__
_|_|_ <-------- use a pair of pliers to pull the centre pin out
|____| of the main pin.
| |
| |
/ \
\__/

_____ __
|____| |_| it will look like thus.
| | ||
| | || After the removal of the centre pin you can
/ \ || easily squeeze the base of the pin to
\__/ <-- (Squeeze) remove the main pin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then its a matter of taking it off like an nvidia hs...:)

Is that what you were meaning?

mackanz
09-23-2002, 09:54 AM
LOL!

I suceeded to loosen the diagonal ones,just like nvidias, but the thing is still stuck as if it was glued.

If i understand that right, there is a hidden locking pin or?
Should i remove the fan first and then locate the pin?

Thanks,

Mac

mbrock
09-23-2002, 04:15 PM
Once you have the 2 pins out of the pcb just give a slight twist and it will come right off.

qwerty57
09-23-2002, 06:07 PM
creative very nice> did you v-mod your card at all? also do you run strait water or run it through a chiller? I see your in a cold climate anyways.. also yes very clean job If you were to see my first ti4400 gpu mod where I straped On a socket A heatsink with tiestraps and superglue you'd appreciate yours even more. Now Ive got it more under conrol and also bolt the coolers on and take my time...18k is almost yours:) good luck.

Creative
09-23-2002, 08:15 PM
Mac; you have to take that inner pin out of the main one......if you know what I mean. Its sorta hard to explain but that diagram should be a huge help, without it i was lost :D
hehehehe

Qwerty, thanks for the kind words :) I use straight distilled water out of the fridge and change this about once per month. I buy bottled stuff from the local supermarkets when on sale and mix it with concentrated radiator mix called "ULTRA COOL" and its a funky green colour :D The water sits in a old cookie jar and the water is pumped in this order.....Res>Pump>Rad>Cpu>VidCard>Res.

I have some pics if you wish to have a look at my setup, I dont think its performing as good as it should. My ambients are about 17-20 degrees celcius and its slowly starting to ge warmer with Summer coming so I have to do all my benching now....or change my cooling....even with water, im noticing hotter temps with watercooling...:(

Thanks again guys

ps
Id love a water chiller to keep the water cold but i guess I can keep adding ice blocks or something.....chillers are $$$ afaik...:(

mackanz
09-25-2002, 05:48 AM
I got it off, thanks!

My block fits GF4, GF3 and the 9700!

Mac

Creative
09-25-2002, 07:12 AM
Awesome!!!

Good luck with your ocing, make sure you keep us updated....:)

mackanz
09-25-2002, 09:49 AM
Know any nice proggs that fixes that :banana::banana::banana::banana:e and that also doesnt screw up your registry?

Mac

Creative
09-25-2002, 05:05 PM
Display Settings>Advanced>Display>click the Montor button and then it brings up a new screen and then you untick use DCC or something, and then in the pulldown menu down the bottom, select the highest resolution your monitor can do.....then go back to the normal display settings and set your desktop and then in Monitor change your refreshrate....:)

All the above is what I did for desktop but cant get games in more than 60hz yet. The name may be wrong but if you do some sluething with the Control Panel, you will find the options I mean..:)

zippyc
10-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey Creative, have you heard that the early versions of this ATI 9700 Pro card are NOT...I repeat NOT AGP 8X compatible? Evidently if your label reads (x's are your serial # place holders)

PN: xxxxxxxx11 xxxxxxxxxx

and not

PN: xxxxxxxx13 xxxxxxxxxx

then your card is not really 8x AGP ready. I will call them this week to verify and see what thier take is on it. (I do not have an 8X capable board yet to see for myself but mine end in 11. Damm or hurray. Not sure yet!)

My best o/clock was at 399/349. How about yours?

Creative
10-01-2002, 07:47 PM
Hey zippyc :)

Unfortunantly my card is on RMA atm. I do remember it was a xxx11 number cos ive got it written here still. Im not 100% sure if it was AGP8x capable cos I didnt have an 8x mobo...:(

My best clock with default cooling and AS3 was 388/345 and with water I was able to take this up to 403/370 with tearing but still good scores. 410 on the core froze in Nature after 2 loops of it....fingers crossed that if i get a new one sent back to me that it OC just as good....I feel I had a lucky one.....:)

Marci
10-02-2002, 01:20 AM
11 cards are not AGP3 compatible, 13 cards are... according to Pilsy! As far as I can work out you have to get in touch with ATi and return the card directly to them and they will ship you out a replacement. How we stand on the "Powered By" cards I'm not sure... most ppl got a Sapphire rather than a full on ATi, and all the ones I've ordered with the understanding of them being "Built By" have arrived and been "Powered By"... I've e-mailed ATi but so far have had no response...