PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Box help?!

IFMU
03-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Ok folks... Ive tried a few places and am having 0 luck. I need to know the sizing of a box for a couple of 12's I have. I will be making it custom to go into my Blazer, but I dont know how to figure spacing etc... anyone willing to lend a hand on figuring this out?

JBELL
03-17-2004, 07:28 AM
yeah *most* subs require .75cuft.

what subs do you have? some sound better ported some sound better sealed and others... open air.

I always had the hardest hitting bass with sealed enclosures. It will create a tighter hitting bass where ported would be a slower longer lower bass sound like in rap music...

Take HxWxL you want that to be .75 INTERIOR air space and also calculate for size of the woofer itself so you may need an interior space of .80 or .85 to sompensate for what the woofer will take up in the box from you.

JBELL
03-17-2004, 07:29 AM
.75 is based on 10" subs

12"subs you should consider 1.0 cuft of interior airspace if they have a lot of excursion (in and out movement) other wise go .85-.95 interior space.

JBELL
03-17-2004, 07:33 AM
here is a good calculator guide for you:
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=5

and here is a speaker size displacement guide:
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spboxnew2.htm

IFMU
03-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Ah yea, guess I could put up some info on it all huh? heh, sorry, goin on some lack o' sleep so a lil outta it.

Ok, first things first, MTX Thunder4000's. 12" ers. They are rated for 200/400bridged.
Present amp (now that is) Memphis 1000D. Im planning on selling off these 2 subs and the box theyre in and goin for a single Eclipse Alluminum or Titanium.
I am wanting to do a custom box for the backside of the Blazer... prolly already said that huh? hrm.. ok, Ill get back to this after some sleep.

quicksilver98
03-17-2004, 11:38 AM
my infinity kappa perfect needs 1.5cu and its a 12" dont make generalizations... cuz they may not even be close.... My old punch power 12" 500/100w RMS took 1.5cu also. and It also depends on ported, sealed, and bandpass design... There are alot of variables... Poster Tell me everything about yer sub and what tyoe of enclosure and i can help u better.. Im a car stereo nut!

JBELL
03-17-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by quicksilver98
my infinity kappa perfect needs 1.5cu and its a 12" dont make generalizations... cuz they may not even be close.... My old punch power 12" 500/100w RMS took 1.5cu also. and It also depends on ported, sealed, and bandpass design... There are alot of variables... Poster Tell me everything about yer sub and what tyoe of enclosure and i can help u better.. Im a car stereo nut!

I said most not all
..I also based numbers on sealed ONLY

my RF punch and Pioneer's all used .75 on the 10" but my 10" RF HE2's required 1.0cuft and sealed....

JBELL
03-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by IFMU
Ah yea, guess I could put up some info on it all huh? heh, sorry, goin on some lack o' sleep so a lil outta it.

Ok, first things first, MTX Thunder4000's. 12" ers. They are rated for 200/400bridged.
Present amp (now that is) Memphis 1000D. Im planning on selling off these 2 subs and the box theyre in and goin for a single Eclipse Alluminum or Titanium.
I am wanting to do a custom box for the backside of the Blazer... prolly already said that huh? hrm.. ok, Ill get back to this after some sleep.

MTX subwoofer chart:
http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/allWooferCompare.cfm

sealed box requires .75-1.5cuft of sealed airspace .. the smaller the volume the tighter the bass the larger the volume the lower (DB)the bass .... so for rock bass go more .75 and for rap and low end not-so-tight bass go more 1.5cuft. for sealed boxes which is what I recogmend. being 12"s I would go small-middle and make the box 1cuft each.

the excursion of the woofer is small so I would use these more for rock n roll music/bass.....

quicksilver98
03-17-2004, 01:51 PM
dood dont take me wrong i was just saying what my exp was....

and dont rule out bandpass they sound great and tend to play a tighter sound..

JBELL
03-17-2004, 02:12 PM
dood dont take me wrong i was just saying what my exp was....

and dont rule out bandpass they sound great and tend to play a tighter sound.. had bandpass for overall effect... and this is personal taste... you get comparible sound in a smaller ''footprint'' going sealed.... bandpass is a huge box even for small subwoofers..

quicksilver98
03-17-2004, 02:31 PM
with my 1 ported kappa perfect I gets about 135Db in the cab of my old truck.... I listen to Metal and Rave type music... And ported worked for me... port length also makes a huge difference<turnes the sound> And as far as overall BUMP BUMP BUMP ported is the only way to go in imop..

JBELL
03-17-2004, 02:47 PM
with my 1 ported kappa perfect I gets about 135Db in the cab of my old truck.... I listen to Metal and Rave type music... And ported worked for me... port length also makes a huge difference<turnes the sound> And as far as overall BUMP BUMP BUMP ported is the only way to go in imop..

my s-10 had two kenwood 10" truck boxes.... ported it sounded like a frigging helicopter was chasing me when windows were open. kenwood monoblock amp. awesome system.

my sonoma club coupe had one pioneer 10" and kicker amp, till it was stolen then the new system was 2xRF punch and 1x pioneer 10" powered by a 800a2. sold the woofers for 2x RF HE2 10"s in cutom sealed boxed ... that sealed box was so loud i could sit in my friends ranger with his custom clarion/kenwood system and hear my system over his...

Peckers
03-17-2004, 04:30 PM
These calculators saves you the trouble of doing the math yourself, it will determine the optimal volume for enclosed, ported, and 6th/4th bandpass. All you have to do is enter values for Vas, Fs, Qts (some more for 6th bandpass).

http://www.ljudia.se/se/teknik/isd/index.html

IFMU
03-18-2004, 05:50 AM
Ok, well alot of whats been said is beyond me, if not just personal in nature.

I am after Sound Quality more than how loud it can "thump". I do want some bass, obviouslly or I wouldnt be going after some larger subs. heh...

Now, as for what sort of music I listen too, name it. I listen to nearly everything. Rap, Metal, Country etc etc etc. What I do listen to the most is rock and rap. I do want to be able to "feel" that bass hitting, nothing is as good as say Metallica "One" with that bass hitting your back.

Mind explaining some details on this?

IFMU
03-18-2004, 05:51 AM
Speaker's Resonant Frequency? Not sure Im aware what this covers here...

JBell, that link, although helpful it does not have my subs listed.

Next, this next image is from a PDF on the MTX Subs, this one is the actual details on my subs. Does it have the info that I need?

IFMU
03-18-2004, 05:52 AM
Please keep in mind, I am very new to this level of detail on stereos.

JBELL
03-18-2004, 07:49 AM
ifmu - the pdf stat sheet you listed is close enough MTX and all other companies rename their gear while keeping the product the same ..... for you and your style of music I say go 1.0cuft sealed enclosure, with pillow stuffing filler inside the box to help ''slow'' interior air movement of the box ... you will get deeper bass. also consider dynamat for the rear area of the blazer to dampen the vehicle walls and help retain more sound inside the vehicle.

JBELL
03-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by IFMU
Speaker's Resonant Frequency? Not sure Im aware what this covers here...

that means at what tone do you want the bass most powerfull...

20-ish and lower is for rap style music and better at bigger speakers

if you want CLEAN bass and not just low and loud I personally say 10"s are louder and this is proven true.

12"s go lower but 10"s are louder

think of it this way.....

The woofer is a car, and the magnet is the engine driving the car.

you have two speakers
#1 - 10" with 400 watt magnet
#2 - 12" with 400 watt magnet

which one do you think will have better repsonse and performance?

the 10" obviously due to size/power ratios being better....

IFMU
03-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Hmm... ok, so then I need a cubic foot space for each sub? That seems awfully small. The box I have now has to have at least 2, prolly more though. Im not to sure how to really measure it and all.
I will be upgrading to a single Eclipse 12" alluminum once the $ becomes available. (And sell off what Ive got. ;)) lol

JBELL
03-18-2004, 10:06 PM
give each woofer its own space ... dont share the box like a bandpass would....