solo
03-15-2004, 06:22 PM
ive seen a whole bunch of combinations

methanol
methanol + anti freeze
anti freeze+ h20
glycol
windshield wiper fluid

no one has really given a definite answer, so which one would be best?

im using a 5k btu kenmore unit to chill my ati

water_cooler 20
03-15-2004, 06:25 PM
I think methanol + water is the best

Peen
03-15-2004, 06:50 PM
You need some type of anti corrosive stuff though

solo
03-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by water_cooler 20
I think methanol + water is the best

is there a certain mix i should use?

Originally posted by Peen
You need some type of anti corrosive stuff though

what kind of anti corrosive stuff?

Peen
03-15-2004, 06:56 PM
jamal let me use some of his. I think its just methanol + dex cool from prestone? not sure what the mix is for sure

Goyo
03-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by solo
what kind of anti corrosive stuff?

WaterWetter or Zerex Coolant maybe?

kommando
03-15-2004, 09:39 PM
rad coolant + methanol?

solo
03-15-2004, 11:27 PM
whats the freezing point on dexcool and water wetter?

im thinking antifreeze + methanol would be nice

Miles_Teg
03-16-2004, 12:55 PM
...im thinking antifreeze + methanol would be nice

Don't see a reason why you'd do that. Methanol is to be used with water, to keep it from freezing over. The water part of the mixture is to get good thermal properties. It'd be a good idea to start with water/methanol in 70/30 mixture, and start from there. If if still freezes, add more methanol. A good dose of waterwetter should keep your system clean of algea and corrosion.

A tip; when testing a water / antifreeze mixture, have the pump of the chiller running for circulation. In rest the mixture might not mix well, causing the water part to freeze over anyway.

solo
03-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Miles_Teg
Don't see a reason why you'd do that. Methanol is to be used with water, to keep it from freezing over. The water part of the mixture is to get good thermal properties. It'd be a good idea to start with water/methanol in 70/30 mixture, and start from there. If if still freezes, add more methanol. A good dose of waterwetter should keep your system clean of algea and corrosion.

A tip; when testing a water / antifreeze mixture, have the pump of the chiller running for circulation. In rest the mixture might not mix well, causing the water part to freeze over anyway.

water/methanol huh?

ill try it out, looks good
grocery store shoudl sell methanol right?

Peen
03-16-2004, 03:17 PM
jamal uses Methanol + Antifreeze and it works fine

jamaljaco
03-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Peen
jamal uses Methanol + Antifreeze and it works fine I've tried it all, in just about every combination, and Ive found that I have no use for water in my system, thermal properties or not.I have found no difference in temps using water/methanol , methanol/prestone. I prefer straight methanol as it is easier on the pump but I like to have a bit of Prestone dexcool to prevent corrosion. I'm currently running around a 90/10 mix methanol/ dexcool. Experiment to see what you like . This is just what I like.

iceman2g
03-16-2004, 07:18 PM
Where can you buy methanol?

water_cooler 20
03-16-2004, 07:22 PM
u can ether get it at home depot look for denatured achool or at a car shop look for pure gas line anti-freeze ether one will work

iceman2g
03-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Is it dangerous in anyway? Don't wanna be dying or anything.

water_cooler 20
03-16-2004, 07:27 PM
its is dangerous but all u need to do is use gloves and protective eye were when pouring and making sure your res is as airtight as possible because u don't want to inhale alot of it

solo
03-16-2004, 09:06 PM
yay!
thanks guys

Miles_Teg
03-17-2004, 01:11 AM
jamaljaco,

"I've tried it all, in just about every combination, and Ive found that I have no use for water in my system, thermal properties or not.I have found no difference in temps using water/methanol , methanol/prestone."

I've been messing around with different mixtures as well, and I'm using 100% windshield washer right now, as I didn't notice an increase in performance either when using a water mixture.

Solo,

If you have a hard time getting methanol, and wanna go for antifreeze after all, don't just pick the first you find. They're also selling concentrated windshield washer, without the soapy additive. It has a very low freezing point (mine is -70C) and not cause foam in your reservoir.

jamaljaco
03-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by iceman2g
Where can you buy methanol? you can find methanol wherever paint suplies are sold, usually sold as shallac thinner, lokk for denatured alcohol read the label, you can also try ethyl alcohol or Isopropyl alcohol.

Unknown_road
03-18-2004, 12:42 PM
somebody tryed aceton(propanon)? it has a nice viscosity...

solo
03-18-2004, 03:10 PM
sounds good, ill check out home depot this weekend

jamaljaco
03-18-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Unknown_road
somebody tryed aceton(propanon)? it has a nice viscosity... welcome unknown_road:banana:

I wouln't try acetone myself as it is pretty harsh. I work with all of these solvent everyday as a painter and wouldnt use anything that melts my rubber gloves in my system. I have heard it has been done but one would need to consider the materials used in their coolant loop first.

OCme
03-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Acetone... now that's radical man! :banana: I like the idea but wouldn't it affect the plastic plumbing? ie Tygon

solo
03-19-2004, 10:04 PM
i picked up 4 gals of denatured alcohol today along with some armaflex 1/2" tubing insulation

got liquid electrical tape, silicone sealant, and the marshmallow in the can thing

missing dielectric grease :'(

Blergo
03-20-2004, 10:01 AM
use vaseline instead of dielectric grease if you have trouble geting dielectric grease, it works great, its what i use :)

Unknown_road
03-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by jamaljaco
welcome unknown_road:banana:

I wouln't try acetone myself as it is pretty harsh. I work with all of these solvent everyday as a painter and wouldnt use anything that melts my rubber gloves in my system. I have heard it has been done but one would need to consider the materials used in their coolant loop first.

thanks :) Before I decide if I'm going to use it i'm going to test several hoses by just putting them in pure acetone. If they are dissolved after a while I'll probably go for methanol :D

Miles_Teg
03-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Blergo,

If the vaseline is to be used to rub in on the socket, I would strongly advice against vaseline. Vaseline is water-based and will cause the pins of the CPU to rust over time. Upon removing the CPU it might even loose legs. This info is not 1st-hand, but I did see posts about it numberous times.

afireinside
03-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Would it be safe to use vasiline to seal the little gaps between the bottom of the mobo PCB and the neoprene there?

solo
03-24-2004, 05:35 PM
i dunno, i think im gonna stick with dieolectric
gonna check out frys sooner or later

JulianDelphiki
03-26-2004, 08:12 PM
i dunno, i think im gonna stick with dieolectric
gonna check out frys sooner or later

i got mine at napa auto parts, something to do with replacing/servicing spark plugs