PDA

View Full Version : testing motherboard outside of the case

sauria
03-15-2004, 02:19 PM
How many of you do this? I was considering setting it up on a towel and testing everything before installing it in my case. Is this dangerous? Do I need to set it on the anti-static bag it shipped in?

I thought I once saw a picture of what looked like a motherboard mounting rig that was used for testing boards outside computers

TheDogFather
03-16-2004, 02:01 AM
Set it up on anything that won't conduct, or make a mess on it.

I see lots of pics of people just sitting it on the box it came from, the anti static bag can't hurt.

Mine are just on a piece of cardboard.

TDF.

sauria
03-16-2004, 05:03 AM
Ok, thanks TDF --- would they get too hot this way?

Karnivore
03-16-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by sauria
Ok, thanks TDF --- would they get too hot this way?

Well you still obviously need to cool the processor and your vid card unless its an antique;) As for setting up on Anti-static bags, It would be ok unless they are the Silver metallic looking variety. If it is indeed the Silvery metallic bag don't do it, they are conductive and it could possibly cause damage. A soft Static-free cloth, cardboard (shipping box) or most anything else no-conductive works well.

Setting up for testing prior to install isn't a bad idea at all, just take your time, make sure cards are fully seated, nothing around to short anything etc.. Plenty of Xtreme folks around here don't even use cases :eek: ;)

Here is a shot of what your probably referring to as a "motherboard mounting rig" This is a Senfu Tech Station, pretty nice setup, unfortunately I believe they have been discontinued by the manufacturer...

TheDogFather
03-16-2004, 05:40 AM
No it doesn't seem to hurt them at all, I know many here run theres like that. Mine are flat out 24/7 like that.

TDF.

edit/ Hey I like that Karnivore, it sure puts my homemade wood attempt to shame.

Karnivore
03-16-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by TheDogFather
edit/ Hey I like that Karnivore, it sure puts my homemade wood attempt to shame.

Yeah they are pretty nice , around 40-50 USD. Have wiring, switches and all. Friend has two of them, one setup he uses, and another new in box.. Been trying to snag it from him for a while now, hopefully he'll get sick of my asking ;)

sauria
03-16-2004, 07:30 AM
Karnivore-- thanks, that's exactly what I saw. No place to get one?

I have a so-called anti-static computer mat. I wonder if that'a a good idea?

Farbror
03-18-2004, 03:06 PM
I always have my MB in the case by Thats because it saves me some room for all the :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: on my desk...

Karnivore
03-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Karnivore-- thanks, that's exactly what I saw. No place to get one?

Anything Nonconductive that won't promote static should work great, I've used, old books, cardboard, shiiping box, various pieces of cloth (no static cloth), wood, and anything else handy, long as it doesn't conduct electricity it should be fine...

And NO, unfortunately I don't know anywhere you can get Senfu Terch Stations :(

sauria
03-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks, I was thinking about a towel over a box but wondered if that would be a static magnet like carpet?

Karnivore
03-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks, I was thinking about a towel over a box but wondered if that would be a static magnet like carpet?

Towels in my house are treated with an anti-static additive, LOL, so mine are good, but I could see that being an issue in some cases:eek:

sauria
03-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Karnivore
Towels in my house are treated with an anti-static additive, LOL, so mine are good, but I could see that being an issue in some cases:eek:

Ok, I live in a dry place but it's a humid spring day today. I'm doing all of this on a table that is NOT on carpet.

LilGator
03-19-2004, 08:40 PM
it'sm always nice to set it up next to a window ac unit ;) chillier than water cooling ... about 15 mobo temp/25 C on a Tbred @ 1.7v 2300MHz

Dud3!
03-21-2004, 09:54 AM
I wouldn't do the towel deal. A work bench or cardboard is what I use.

sjohnson
03-21-2004, 10:05 AM
The Aerocool Lubic "case" is the closest thing to the Senfu, unless you get lucky at eBay or something and score a Senfu.

Not cheap, at around $100 though.

Reviews: http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/case_cool/aerocool/case/lubic/index.shtml
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/lubic/

sauria
03-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Thanks all -- so far I've put it on a workbench on cardboard

Dud3!
03-21-2004, 10:14 AM
You can make something like that Senfu deal, it's just a square frame!

sauria
03-21-2004, 10:16 AM
That Lubic case looks like a project in itself -- I basically want a test bed.

DEEF
03-21-2004, 11:06 AM
My rig when I didnt had a case. :)

http://www.campahq.com/mixed/DSC00964.jpg

sauria
03-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks DEEF. The lubic case looks like a way to run components out of a case permananetly. Anyone got pics of their lubic rig?

sjohnson
03-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks DEEF. The lubic case looks like a way to run components out of a case permananetly. Anyone got pics of their lubic rig? Send me $100 and I'll take some pics for you ;) :D

sauria
03-21-2004, 03:49 PM
:) Looks like a permanent project rig. ATX, BTX, CTX.....

Peckers
03-21-2004, 04:00 PM
If you want a more permanent solution like the "Lubic" etc. You could just get some aluminium L profiles and sheet metal, you probably have distances laying around. Not a big job to construct, glue it together will be strong enough and look clean. More fun(and cheaper) then getting something pre-manufactured.

sauria
03-31-2004, 06:52 AM
Anyone know where to get the pwr & reset switches that attach to a board that is outside of the case? They come with the Senfu Tech Station

kommando
04-01-2004, 03:05 AM
Get one from old cases.

sauria
04-01-2004, 04:57 AM
Ok, good idea! Thaks

M4D
04-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Karnivore
Well you still obviously need to cool the processor and your vid card unless its an antique;) As for setting up on Anti-static bags, It would be ok unless they are the Silver metallic looking variety. If it is indeed the Silvery metallic bag don't do it, they are conductive and it could possibly cause damage. A soft Static-free cloth, cardboard (shipping box) or most anything else no-conductive works well.

Setting up for testing prior to install isn't a bad idea at all, just take your time, make sure cards are fully seated, nothing around to short anything etc.. Plenty of Xtreme folks around here don't even use cases :eek: ;)

Here is a shot of what your probably referring to as a "motherboard mounting rig" This is a Senfu Tech Station, pretty nice setup, unfortunately I believe they have been discontinued by the manufacturer...

I have a senfu stand /tower, :D .
Bought if for £40 uk @ www.over-clock.co.uk it's a nice little setup
if you are constantly taking your pc to bits or even if you want to run it
perminently on that it's worth the investment and it's always been fine for anything i needed it to do .

And yes i believe they have stopped manufacturing them but i would not
be surprised if you could track one down somewhere ...

sauria
04-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks M4D! I'll be in London next fall. Perhaps I can hunt one down there if they don't ship overseas?

M4D
04-19-2004, 07:08 PM
No problem.

Have a look here: http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Products/Senfu_DIY_Case/
And here: http://www.senfu.com.tw/layout/default.asp
Hope you know how to read other languages, :D .

And i have seen the senfu racks at a local computer fair !
But i can't remember which one it was, I think it was in doncaster
at the northern computer markets fair :) But i can't honestly remember ?

Rest assured you will drop on one if you look hard enough though.
Im off to have a search around for another one in a second because as
standard they are a little small and not big enough for my next setup
so i need another one to build onto what i already have to get everything to fit
on properly with my new bits and bobs im wanting to buy :) .

If i find anything interesting /usefull out though i will update here :D ...

zippyc
05-19-2004, 02:30 AM
I simply cut a scrap piece of plywood a bit larger than the profile of my largest MB, used the MB as a stensil and drilled 1/4" holes about 3/8" in depth for each mounting screw position.

Then I mounted the HW to the MB (screws and spacer nuts), used 5 min epoxy to fill each of the 10 holes and let the bottom spacer nuts sink into the epoxy to the top the threads while still on the MB (being careful to use shims to set the correct spacing off the board).

Then I let it fully harden and unscrewed the MB...leaving the spacer nuts "Planted" on the plywood board permenantly.

Works like a charm, and it anchors the board ito a position that allows you to easily plug and unplug cables and such without flexing the board. And it works for all of my MBs.

Took a $1.00 set of mounting HW, $4.00 for epoxy, and 20 Mins to do.

sauria
03-29-2005, 05:51 PM
I thought I'd resurrect this thread -- I have a High Speed PC Tech station now and am running the logic board on the foam that came from the manufacturer (MSI) under the motherboard -- it's thicker than the tech station's anti-static foam.

Who else is running like this? Any possible harm in doing this? I guess it won't melt and I guess it is anti-static? Thank you!

zippyc
03-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Anti-static...yes.

Melt? Also possible if you're air cooling and really cranking some volts overclocking through a hot chip, but your chip would probably fry before you have to worry about the foam melting underneath the socket thru the MB.

I've run boards on numerous foams, none melted on me but maybe I've been lucky (cautious). And never ran more than 2V without watercooling.

U should b ok.

sauria
03-30-2005, 05:35 AM
Thanks zippyc!

Navig
03-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Since its been resurrected, here's my Lubic based test bench setup:

Thread here. (http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68169&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

navig

Qkjhfhaiguihfma
04-03-2005, 01:27 PM
I believe http://heatsinkfactory.com/cgi-bin/HFAstore.pl has them

Necromonger
04-07-2005, 12:18 PM
HighSpeed PC sells “Tech Stations” standard and large, they also sell the Tech Station Accessories, e.g., ATX power switch, Reset switch, System Speaker, Power LED, and IDE LED.

http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HSPC&Category_Code=Tech_Station

BigPanda
04-07-2005, 01:34 PM
nice link
and zippyc i dont think many people have had problems wiht the static bag melting but thats just me

sauria
04-07-2005, 02:33 PM
I have one -- great vendor -- I want a better foam pad though than the one it comes with.

Uncle Bob
04-07-2005, 10:52 PM
http://www.highspeedpc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HSPC&Category_Code=Tech_Station
These have pretty much replaced the Senfu Station if you are still looking for one. Hard to beat Senfu, but these come pretty close. Also have supply of premade switched and LEDs, always handy. HighSpeedPC is a reputable vendor as well.

drftkng
04-08-2005, 03:54 AM
At one point I was going to get the Tech Workstation, but then I thought. Hey I can build something myself and make it exactly how I want it for my particular situation and hardware. link below for those that haven't seen it yet.

My Xtreme Tech Workbench (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55271)

sauria
10-22-2005, 02:03 PM
At one point I was going to get the Tech Workstation, but then I thought. Hey I can build something myself and make it exactly how I want it for my particular situation and hardware. link below for those that haven't seen it yet.

My Xtreme Tech Workbench (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55271)
That's the way to go!

craig588
10-22-2005, 04:22 PM
This thread has been revived twice, it should be closed. Most of the information, other than the general stuff, is old and could confuse someone.

jrw
10-28-2005, 04:48 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37632

i found nemo
11-06-2005, 07:31 PM
if your mobo is plugged into the psu, and psu is plugged into the wall, it's already grounded ;)

sauria
11-06-2005, 07:35 PM
If your wall plug is grounded and it works, that is...