PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking RAM help needed

andyddr
03-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Hello again peeps. I`ve been hinting for an answer to this question in other topics but I guess ppl are too busy replying to that topic to give me an answer.

Anyways here`s the question:

BH5/6 is the :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: right now with pretty high clocks with much tighter timings compaired to CH5. The qusetion is if I`m going to run an A64 system is it better to get mem that`ll run 1:1 (275FSB) at relaxed timings or get BH5 that`ll run 3:2 or 5:4 with tighter timings.

The obvious answer will be get BH5 `cause tighter timings will mean better bandwidth but I`ve seen the new PC4200 stuff killing Bh5 six love. Someone I know has Mushkin PC3500 Level II`s and runs them at 217 FSB 2-2-2-5 (5:4) but my Kingston HyperX gets very close with just under 100 points difference with the same FSB but timings of only 3-4-4-8.

So now with my FSB up to 275FSB at only 2.8v I should be able to get more out of the CH5 stuff compaired to Bh5 `cause the Ch5 will clock much higher with out a need for serious voltage.

Getting OCZ Golden Sample PC4000 but now I`m really torn between it or Mushkin Specials!

Please help me here guys...I really am stumpted!

Jrocket
03-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Everyone is going to tell you to just get the bh-5 and do a volt mod. That will give the best results, however if you dont (or cant) get those kinds of speeds from the bh-5/6 then ch-5 would be ok in my opinion. 1:1 will almost always be faster then 5:4 ect. Though tight timings help, recently they have been quite overhyped. In my experiments with timings, they matter a decent amount, but the speed will matter more IMO.

sandman
03-14-2004, 01:12 PM
I'd get the BH-5. No telling where your hard drives might crap out. Atleast this way you can run at lower mhz before your hard drives give out, and still get decent bandwidth.

blinky
03-14-2004, 01:21 PM
if youre looking to go above 290ish 1:1 then by all means get some high rated chips, if youre going to stay below that threshold, get BH5 and vmod it

Crankster
03-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Timings aint everything... Nothing beats cubic inches was the slogan for 60's musclecars.... Nothing beats raw Mhz for comps today IMHO

skate2snow
03-14-2004, 02:08 PM
I have just discover something yesterday: w/ some BH5 at 3-4-4-8 you're kind of "transforming" your BH5 to some PC4200. And if you take some PC4X00 you can do 2-2-3-5(or even 2-2-2-5) but w/ the sacrifice of the 1:1 action. So i say both are some exelent choice;)

BTW: the high rated RAMs are not CH5, but some hynix;)

Soulburner
03-14-2004, 02:09 PM
skate BH5 will not run CL3...but it will do 2.5-4-4-8 (but thats pointless).

Originally posted by Crankster
Timings aint everything... Nothing beats cubic inches was the slogan for 60's musclecars.... Nothing beats raw Mhz for comps today IMHO
I would have to disagree...we need extremely high clocks at high latency to overcome our current clocks at low latency.

Clocks that will not even be achieveable until DDR2-667 and 800 arrive.

daos
03-14-2004, 02:23 PM
well, get yourself some good BH-5, do the volt mod and run your memory 260+ 2-2-2-5 1:1.

st0nedpenguin
03-14-2004, 02:26 PM
As far as I know, all the current AMD chipsets, including A-64 ones, thrive on low latency RAM rather than high speed high latency RAM, I'd go for the Mushkin specials myself.

Soulburner
03-14-2004, 02:27 PM
All current chipsets, period....

Craig
03-14-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Crankster

I lived that!:banana: And @ stock the big blocks ruled without question.

But the bottom line then, as now, was performance anyway you could get it. And often times the guy holding the trophy for the best quarter was drive'n a higher RPM'd and faster winding small block set up. But that winning small block HAD to be well tricked up to beat the big blocks, by a man who had good skills in "0verclocking" a engine.

Same today, the slower timing higher clocking @ 1:1 RAM isn't often the winner when it comes down to best performing. It is the easier route though for many. But the man with the required skill with soldering up volt mods can trick up his rig to make best use of the BH-5 RAM.......to win.

You pay your money and make your choice. If you don't do mods to your motherboards, then the higher stock speed ram will often give best results. BH-5 isn't a big deal without the mods, just as a chevy 350 or 400 V8 in the hands of a man who didn't work on engines could only do so much vs a big block with more stock horsepower.

Sad to say.............I'm one getting less than the most out of the BH-5 RAM I have than it has to give..........:(

Having a couple daughters & a wife, with one girl in collage holds me back from risk'n frying a motherboard, when once I had some pretty fast cars.:shrug: