PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Getting Back...

RoydRage
09-17-2002, 05:17 PM
Hey.... Opp/MrIcee/DDTung.... So this is where all of you went... I've been out of it for a while, and I wanted your help with some tips on dialing a new configuration in..... I posted on Icrontic.. But it's pretty Dead over there....

[N8] Posted there, and turned me on to this site. Thanks N....

I'll copy over my post from over there below... So you know what's up.... Thanks... And it's good to find you all...

Royd.

Hi Guy's

I've been out of it for a while... Very busy with school Then designing a program...... But I'm a hardware guy at heart... And I've got the itch to upgrade... I've been using my rig like an OEM out of the box rig like some office worker... It's time to rock!

Things have changed here a bit... I guess Opp, Mr Icee, and others Have left.. So I'm depending on you guys to get me up to speed...

You see from my sig where I've left off... Now I've just ordered a KX-7 (non-raid), and A newer Promise TX-2000 Raid Controller... Thermal Lake SLK-800... And Vantec Volcano 80mm fan

The cpu has to stay untill the XP-2600 comes so I'm ok there... I just tried a ATI 9700, and could not get it to boot windows no matter what... I changed to 128mg, in BIOS... Installed the software, Ofcourse I had the external power wire attached. And Nothing! But That's another story... I don't know if there is some issue I'm not aware of with the KR-7. So It's back on the shelf, and the 4600 is back in the slot.

Now what I need to know from you guys IS, and remember This is Win98' SE:

1) What 4 in 1 Driver?
2) What BIOS
3) Latency Patches..... Breese's 19, 19d, or 20 Or Via Promise Raid Patch?
4)what Via AGP Driver If it is better to use a separate one from the recommended 4 in 1's
5)WPCREDIT Settings....
6)Any other BIOS settings you can recommend.

Thanks guys.... This stuff moves so fast if you stay away for a couple of months... Your pretty much lost...

Royd

Hardass
09-17-2002, 05:33 PM
Welcome to Xtreme. Someone will be along to give you some help shortly. Enjoy your stay at our forum.

OPPAINTER
09-17-2002, 06:23 PM
Royd,

Welcome to Xtreme:)
MrIcee would be up to date with the KX7 and drivers. I haven't been runing one for a while, I'm very rusty, did a little Intel darkside:eek:

I'm going to be rigging up a AMD system soon though with the KX7, I allways used the 37s as far as the 4 in 1s. Can't help you on the Promise patch. As far as AGP driver I go for the latest, MrIcee can fill you in on that one. I can tell you he is running a 9700 on his KX7 with no problems that I know of. WPCredit, well all I know is the Halt to get your idle temps, 92 EB,95 1E.
Settings, lets see, they are basiclly like the KR7 except you have a 5:2:1 divder you NEED to kick in at anything above 165.

Hopefully MrIcee will shed some light on the subject for you.

OPP

RoydRage
09-17-2002, 06:56 PM
OPP,

Thanks for the tips... I'm excited about the new build.... It's nice being back under your wings...

When I went back and you weren't there... I felt kinda lost... You guys were the pioneers, and innovators over there.... And made it what it was....

I'll await Mr. Icee's instruction..... Thanks for being there, (here) he he...

Royd

OPPAINTER
09-17-2002, 07:04 PM
No problem Royd, but just to let you know that in a month or sooner we will be into the new KD7 and the KX7 will be history if it works out. Still, enjoy the KX7 untill we can validate the KD7 as being #1.

OPP

RoydRage
09-17-2002, 07:18 PM
Yes,

I'm aware of the board... But I Know there is supposed to be a lot of bugs.... Like Only 1 Stick Of RAM?.... And at Tom's they so no faster than the KT-333 boards....

Hey It's so cheap... I copped one for $85! I'm not using a Raid board... I like a controller So I can put the CD-ROM And Burner on different channels...

I figure give Abit a while to get it's Sh*t Together with drivers, and BIOS's and stuff before I start pulling my hair out....

I wonder If I should go get another 9700 Pro Card... Man I was going nuts with that thing... And Just couldn't get into Windows... Maybe I would have better luck with the KX-7....

BTW... What's the Hot setup for RAM..... You see what I'm running the Kingmax... with the Tiny chips.... I'm pretty happy with it... Running 2/5/2 1t... @ 164... With 2 Dimms... And all the PCI Cards I'm running, it's not bad... That board is full up! But I know there's got to be better.. The Corsair PC3200, or Samsung or something, but I know I couldn't touch those settings with my Crucial...

Thanks Royd

N8
09-18-2002, 04:05 AM
Glad you found your way, RoydRage.

MrIcee has a thread called "some more KX7 bandwidth goodness" in this forum a few posts down that has some good info on the latest hot memory...check it out :)

I think you'll find that with the 1/5 divider that the KX7 has that it will be quite easy to pass 200FSB...but you're prolly gonna need memory better than that kingmax to do so ;)

Good luck w/ whatever ya choose...I'm anxious to see how this KD7 performs...