PDA

View Full Version : If you can't Beat em, Hire em

Liquid3D
03-11-2004, 06:58 PM
I want to applaud OCZ Technology as I've recently learned of they're hiring and/or consulting with Michael Schuette of Lost Circuits fame. Some time ago you might remember the infamous review concerning OCZ Gold3700 at Lost Circuits' where the heatspreaders were removed to reveal Samsung TCB3 (DDR333)IC's. The review (found here (http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/ocz3700/)) may have been construed as somewhat derogatory in it's "beltsander" comment (even though an line was intentionally drawn through that word). Still, it took some engineering temerity to optimize Samsung TCB3 IC's capable of running at DDR510. And just as much pugnacity to expose it. Of course this says something for both oarites, and seeing a relationship form between them is not only Operatic, it's beneficial for all of us.

Considering just about all memory stamped as PC4500 currently uses Hynix IC's rated for DDR400, would now render connotations associated with, claims the public was "mislead" moot. If this is the case were all mislead every day, and on so many levels where this industry is concerned. For example; the fact nVidia's FX5950 is simply a FX5900 with an extra 128MB of memory, and a BIOS flash, says it all.

Here's my point. You absolutely have to respect the determination OCZ Technology has to grow. They're constantly "brainstorming," a term I can identify with since reading Daniel C Dennet's book of same title ten years ago. it's the creative mind, the inventive mind which not only appeals to the Enthusiast, but forges ahead making progress in an industry we often take for granted. had OCZ not taken the risk to break out the ole "beltsander" (just kidding, read DP07 laser) we may still be running PC4000 for another six months. It's not just simply overclocking these IC's. it's the development of PCB's which can support the platform with enough stability to market it to the Overclocking Masses. DDR-II may not be jumping off so high a plateau, were it not for those willing to climb so high in the first place (read risks). And best of all is the experience MS of Lost Circuits brings to the table. I was lucky to have several conversations with Dr Schuette (aka MS) when I submitted an review for his site, and was honored to do so. I've learned more from Lost Circuits as a hardware site over the years, then any other hardware review site. As a PhD and site owner Michael is a rarity in the hardware community, his industry knowledge has made him an invaluable asset to Enthusiast's everywhere, and now OCZ will benefit from that knowledge. I'd say OCZ has made the best "upgrade" in staff since their hiring of Bhulnider Sethi, and Andy. Congrats guys keep up the good work!

ryanpgroovy
03-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Michael is a briliant engineer :-)

Liquid3D
03-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Hey how come your the only one to respond to this? Don't people realize what this is going to do for OCZ? For us as consumers? That guy can engineer Iraq into stability, never mind Hynix hehe.

TheDude
03-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Michael has written some of the best technical articles and reviews on the net. This was a VERY smart move by OCZ!
:toast:

Liquid3D
03-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Sort oif Off-topic: Speaking of OCZ how's that EL4200 rocking ya Duder?

Back on zee topic: Yes Mr Dude I agree, I've learned much from him. To this day I still quote his review on the Asus AV7-333, where it discusses the core voltage of DDR being dropped to 1.8V with voltage-regulators, ergo only the I/O buffers see the 2.6V to 3.3V we pump into them. It's amazing what one can learn from reading a review. DDR-II is going to be released running at 1.8V from what I've read, and if I understand correctly would this basically be eliminating those Input/Ouput Buffers? If so it would seem for the first time we'll acutally have much greater control over the memory when overclocking then we ever did with DDR, except it'll be much easier to damage the IC's as well.

TheDude
03-14-2004, 03:58 AM
I'm only just now starting to put that ram thru it's paces and so far it's doing very well and on a DFI LanpartyB with a 2600 mobile too!
Yeah, Michaels DDRII article was great. Read some of the work he did with John Paul Shen from the early 80's onward. It will make your brain bleed! ;) The guy's over my head but I manage to glean a thing or two from his articles if I'm lucky. :D

Tony
03-14-2004, 07:04 PM
I'd say OCZ has made the best "upgrade" in staff since their hiring of Bhulnider Sethi, and Andy. Congrats guys keep up the good work!

So you don't love me any more keith? :(

Liquid3D
03-14-2004, 11:00 PM
OMG we cannot forget Tony the best thing to happen to Europe since "The Wall" came down. Sorry about that, my Friend, I knew I forgot someone.
:eek:

OCZSean
03-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Keith Suppe! Long time no talk. Hit me on MSNIM some time bud!

eva2000
03-17-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by bigtoe
So you don't love me any more keith? :( LOL :)

muzz
03-19-2004, 06:47 PM
So what your saying L3D is they were using 333 ics ( as the review stated)......
And the applause is for what?
Being good at handpicking?

I'm not sure I understand, then maybe I won't cause you are a fan of OCZ, and TBO although Ryan and I get along OK, I really am not.
And the reasons are pretty much things/Findings like that review.

333 ram.........
Um ya, ok.

Glad they hired some smart guy though.

andyOCZ
03-19-2004, 08:32 PM
I think OCZ has hired some of the best minds in the biz (Tony, Mike and others). I will exlude myself from that (not for me to say and I can't spell enginear anyway). LOL

There is allot more tech involved than just handpicking chips. Try throwing a handful into your computer and see how high you can clock with them.

Liquid3D
03-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by muzz
So what your saying L3D is they were using 333 ics ( as the review stated)......
And the applause is for what?
Being good at handpicking?

I'm not sure I understand, then maybe I won't cause you are a fan of OCZ, and TBO although Ryan and I get along OK, I really am not.
And the reasons are pretty much things/Findings like that review.

333 ram.........
Um ya, ok.

Glad they hired some smart guy though.

Actually I beleive there's alot more to producing an entire line based on TCB3 which can run stable at PC3700. Finding the optimum PCB, the correct voltage regulation, SPD setting's, etc. If it were just hand-picking and you were criticizing OCZ then your critizing every memory maker on the market. It doesn't matter if it's Corsair, Kingston, or QueenMaxi the fastest IC's available to all makers are DDR400. So it's a matter of reducing DDR550 manufacture to "hand-picking" or respecting it as the art of engineering? I guess it depends on your knowledge of the business, engineering, or prejudice towards companies. What I'm saying is what OCZ was originally "criticized" for in that review, was, in my opinion pioneering, and just a few PhD's above "hand-picking". With all due respect :)

nailbomb
03-20-2004, 03:26 AM
Keith, you're alive good to see :)

I think this was a very smart move on the companies part, and look forward to seeing what comes out of it. When you look at the amount of new product OCZ has managed to get out in the last 6 months, its really quite impressive. FUGGER hit DDR600, what more do ya really want? ;)

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to Tony for answering my questions, and thanks to Ryan for getting me sorted out. Hopefully you guys will read this when you get back.

Liquid3D
03-20-2004, 06:09 AM
i was in the hospital for a few days.

nailbomb
03-20-2004, 06:21 AM
i was in the hospital for a few days.

Been there and done that too. Its amazing anyone ever gets any better in the hospital because you can't ever really get any sleep with them poking and prodding you all the damn time. And they you get exposed to hospital strains of various pathogens, like pneumonia, which are allways harder to kill than the community accquired pneumonia.

And to make it even better, if your hospital has the right TV feed, you get bombarded with pharma company propaganda while you are laying their hopeless. O wait, its actually called 'patient education'. My bad ;)

muzz
03-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Liquid3D
Actually I beleive there's alot more to producing an entire line based on TCB3 which can run stable at PC3700. Finding the optimum PCB, the correct voltage regulation, SPD setting's, etc. If it were just hand-picking and you were criticizing OCZ then your critizing every memory maker on the market. It doesn't matter if it's Corsair, Kingston, or QueenMaxi the fastest IC's available to all makers are DDR400. So it's a matter of reducing DDR550 manufacture to "hand-picking" or respecting it as the art of engineering? I guess it depends on your knowledge of the business, engineering, or prejudice towards companies. What I'm saying is what OCZ was originally "criticized" for in that review, was, in my opinion pioneering, and just a few PhD's above "hand-picking". With all due respect :)

NP L3D, you and I have disagreed in the past.
I take no offense to your position regarding this issue.
Due respect is noted....;) :D

Liquid3D
03-21-2004, 06:40 AM
Thank you MUZZ, and you'd might be surprised to know on how many levels we actually agree.
:toast:

By the way Nail-, you are the "bomb" thanx :D

muzz
03-21-2004, 07:36 PM
As I told Ryan awhile ago......
I will try OCZ when the time is right for me, I will admit that I am impressed with the effort that they have put forth over the last year or so, both to clear their name, and to further their support.

If I happen to step in chit I will actually have a shot at winning the Bleedingedge comp. during AMD month.
Gonna take a Vdimm mod though......

As you know probably remember, I use 2 x 256 xms3500V1.1 ( bh-5) that does pretty well in it's own right(NF7-S), but I am NOT adverse to using another brand if it is indeed a better clocker in my gear.

Hope everything is going well for ya Keith.

m

robzila
03-25-2004, 09:46 PM
As a long time OC'er and lurker on many forums, I too am very glad to see all the steps that OCZ has gone to in the past year both to clear their name and improve their braintrust (this means you Tony):). It can only mean better things for all of us enthusiasts. Michael Schuette is a well respected (and rightly so) member of the community and I applaud you.:toast:

Charles Wirth
03-25-2004, 10:42 PM
OCZ has reached out into the community and done an outstanding job to make customer satisfaction a top priority.

OCZ is everywhere at the trade shows, most motherboard manufacturers had OCZ color glossy line cards and machines sporting OCZ memory. Unreal job at hitting the target.

I am glad that Ryan had faith in XS early on in the "beltsander" days.

Three thumbs up OCZ!

After months of abuse, my ocz memory still clocks exactly the same.

khellandros66
03-26-2004, 08:28 AM
I killed my OCZ PC3200 :stick: but, still had enough faith in OCZ so I bought the PC4400 for my system.

~Bob

andyOCZ
03-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Good choice. Sorry about the death :(

saaya
08-11-2004, 02:45 AM
i see a great future for ocz! i can still remember when they were a small business and most people had serious doubts that the company will live for longer than a year.

nowadays ocz is a well established company wich is here to stay, with undoubtable the best support in the whole industry! you can be proud of yourselves! :toast:

Jeff
08-11-2004, 03:03 AM
Why pull this thread up from the dead? SPAM count that important? :stick:

saaya
08-11-2004, 10:09 AM
dead?

hmmm i didnt see it was that old.