PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend some cash!!!

psychofunk
03-11-2004, 11:24 AM
I have been debating upgrades like mad and the more I read the more confused I become so I am turning to you guys because I feel like you guys have much more experience with all sorts of different setups and know better what I need to do to acheive what I want and what is just a waste.

I currently have an Abit NF7-S v2.0 (no modds, got any suggestions), XP1700+ (200*11.5@2v prime95 stable), 512mb of XMS3200C2 (2-2-2-11@2.8v), Antec TrueBlue 480 (which I want to vmod and cut to fit a 120mm fan), an ata130 Maxtor Diamond 200GB HDD in an Enermaxx Removable HDD rack, a Geforce ti4200, SBAudigy 2ZS, a Hauppauge WinTV/Radio, various drives all jammed into a Chieftec Dragon.

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/psychofunk-GutsShot.jpg
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/psychofunk-TowerShot.jpg

It is all cooled by a Dtek Whitewater, MagDrive3, Heatercore Rad w/shroud and a 120mm papst.

I will have about $600-700 to spend. All I know is that I want to buy a yy-cube ($150) and an ATI9800pro ($250). What else do you guys recommend. Should I also dump the board and cpu and go intel P4 or A64 754 (or maybe even 939). Should I just spend the money on a mach1 and a mobile 2400 and oc to 2.8. (that is going a bit over budget but I may be willing for the right thing).

Mostly I game, download (pron only :rolleyes: no really scouts honor :rolleyes: ), browse the internet, mild photoshoping, burn music (my own of course). I have been messing with Reason 2.0 and Cubase SX (this crap is complicated for my Homer sized brain), I watch TV & listen to music. No CAD, no Digital animation or graphics, no rendering, basically I would say that this is an entertainment machine.

So what should I do, besides send the money to you :) ? Oh yeah one other thing, my machine is mostly fine for what I do (cept games of course), but I do get a little impatient with it. Especially when it starts, it slows and even though the main screens comes up after 4 passes of that bar thingy it takes like another minute to stop using 50-100% cpu usage (you know bringing up AV, Soft Firewall, MBM, StyleXP, Forcestick thingy, Creative Sound crap...you know all the start up stuff...stuff that I need or want so I don't want to disable it). I also get slow down if I am downloading, burning, browsing forums and listening to music. I would simply like to improve gaming the the highest level, be able to multitask without any slow down and start faster.

Oh yeah and since I am asking for the impossible how about a supermodel that can cook, is only interested in being with me not going out all over the damn place, wants to have dirty nasty sex 3 or 4 times a day...oh and when we do go out she pays...and doesn't nag...and...:D

psychofunk
03-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Come on!!! Anyone??? 21 reads and not even a piss off???

kokoro_kara
03-12-2004, 06:23 PM
If you stay AMD,

A lot of people are getting good results for the cash with a DFI Lan Party B or the Ultra Infinity Board with a Mobile 2400 - 2600 chip.

Good OC'n (with WC people are getting some great FSB without any voltmods like 250) and would go well with your 9800 ati radeon...

Just a thought. The board and chip could run under 200 bucks. Not a bad upgrade... If you your 1700 hundred isn't pumping it out already :D

psychofunk
03-14-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the reply koko but I went ahead and posted elsewhere so that I could get some more feedback. I unfortunately don't have tons of money so each purchase really needs alot of consideration, and I need alot more input of the consequences of each upgrade, so I posted at a more not so l33t site. Have a good one.

sjohnson
03-14-2004, 09:33 PM
Sorry psychofunk - I looked at your post but to be honest you put so much text and explanation into your request that I wasn't all that tempted to reply. Too many variables to consider, including software about which I have no clue.

Try keeping it simple, you'll generate better and faster responses.

psychofunk
03-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Naw, no sweat, hell this place is l33t. I mean you guys have some serious tweakers and the same old "what's the best ram" questions gets old quick. I understand, I get tired of these questions myself, so I just posted at another site where I know the guys are a little more patient in dealing with the same question 100 times in a week.

Reflex1
03-16-2004, 07:36 AM
i say clean that dust for a start :D

keep everything and get a mobile 2600 chip (or wait for the 2800 or 3000 ....) cheap and very good upgrade.

faruquehabib
03-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by a5h
i say clean that dust for a start :D

keep everything and get a mobile 2600 chip (or wait for the 2800 or 3000 ....) cheap and very good upgrade.

ditto, if any upgrade. good looking rig