PDA

View Full Version : Prometeia and Noise

septimus
09-16-2002, 10:25 PM
Well, I see that this particular method of cooling is amazing and all that. But, how much noise does it make??

JCviggen
09-16-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by septimus
Well, I see that this particular method of cooling is amazing and all that. But, how much noise does it make??

not that much. Its not dead silent, but all you really hear are 2 120mm fans ...

OPPAINTER
09-17-2002, 12:32 PM
This cooler is very nice as far as noise, the Fans turn down there RPMs once the evap gets to a certain temp, then the baby just hums a long.

Noise level is great as far as I'm concerned.

OPP

Creative
09-17-2002, 08:18 PM
Im looking at either getting one of these new Premium Vapochill units or else looking at getting a Prometia into Australia here somehow.

Which would you guys say is the better model for maximum ocing potentials?

I gots to start saving now though :p
hehehehe

OPPAINTER
09-17-2002, 08:49 PM
Hard to say untill Vapo sends me a unit for review:D

OPP

Tom Holck
09-18-2002, 07:55 AM
Hi.

I live in Denmark, the homeland of Prometeia and Vapochill !!

I have 2 old vapochill, 1 Prometeia, 1 new Vapochill..

The Prometeia make les noice.

By that and a new cabinet on top.

The old vapochill are exelent to cool GF4 or Radeon9700

Best OC regards

Tom Holck

N8
09-18-2002, 08:52 AM
How do the new vapochill and the prometeia compare temp-wise, Tom? :)

Creative
09-18-2002, 06:54 PM
So Tom you rekon get the Prometia and then put it in another case?

I just like the look of these new Black Vapochills and if they perform similar to the Prometias, then ill just get it I think.

An old Vapochill would be AWESOME for my 9700......but Im just a student ;)

heheeh

Bravo
09-18-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by OPPAINTER
Hard to say untill Vapo sends me a unit for review:D

OPP

Tom's Hardware Bribe :rolleyes:

OPP, take this anyway you will, but i dont want to know how well your processor overclocks with the new vapo. I want to know cooling capacity (c/w), noise levels, power consumption, ease of use and installation, as well as garantee of prolonged use wont damage my processor or the vapochill itself.

I would not like to see a repeat of the Maxxpert incident, where on your recommendation, people purchased it, and were left in the lurch (i do not doubt Asetek will fall apart overnight, but the example is apt).

PiLsY
09-19-2002, 02:22 AM
Edited.

Bravo
09-19-2002, 03:14 AM
Please, do not start a flame war, it was a simple observation, nothing else. Please do not consider it otherwise.

To clear up your point, the review on Icrontic OPP did for tekwerkz, highlighted nothing negative about it. It was written by an overclocker, with only an eye towards the end product (meaning how fast can i make my processor go). I dont blame OPP for Maxxpert going under, i dont blame him either for his recommendation that it was a good unit. It is a simple statement of caution to consider what you write will affect numerous consumers, who think OPP represents the "the best of the best" of the overclocking community.

Ask yourself a question, how impressionable is the common newbie?

Hardass
09-19-2002, 03:36 AM
There won,t be any flame wars at this forum.

Marci
09-19-2002, 04:16 AM
lol... the question which should be asked is.... did the unit OPP received for review actually have any of the faults that other ppl suffered.... if not, then obviously he couldn't highlight them... and you can't guarantee prolonged use won't damage a cpu when the product in question was so new at the time... unless the review was held back for a few months just to answer that question, which it obviously couldn't.

So, OPP.... have u still got the EVA3, and if so, have any of the flaws displayed themselves in your unit, or did they before u got rid of it?

Out of curiosity.... Maxxxpert are still selling the EVA3.... has anyone tried one of the current units to see if they've improved yet??

Tom Holck
09-19-2002, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by [N8]
How do the new vapochill and the prometeia compare temp-wise, Tom? :)

The temp readings on Prometeia are a little to optimistik, because of the probeplacement. But I think the Prometeia still are a little better:

same CPU/Board/etc.

P4 2.533/IT7Max/1.92V :

Vapochill old:
temp goes up, over 0. at fuld load for a few minute, relative stable 3201 Mhz.

Prometeia:
temp far belov -28-40 readings
stable 3554 Mhz

New Vapochill
temp lov readings -19
stable 3486 Mhz

with P4 2.8 the readings are a little better, but same tendens.

The temp in the case are lover with Prometeia, so Ram, HDD, etc have lover temp. When you use aircooling on the new Radeon 9700 pro, its became very hot in Vapochill.

Best OC regards

Tom Holck
Denmark

Tom Holck
09-19-2002, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Creative
So Tom you rekon get the Prometia and then put it in another case?

I just like the look of these new Black Vapochills and if they perform similar to the Prometias, then ill just get it I think.

An old Vapochill would be AWESOME for my 9700......but Im just a student ;)

heheeh

You only thange the top of the Prometia, the cooling are at the bottom.

The front of the Vapochill old and new easely breaks of
The round sides are in the way vhen you but the PC on the table to make some thange.
The space inside are nerrow, and warm.

Best OC regards

Tom Holck
Denmark

N8
09-19-2002, 05:15 AM
Good info there, Tom...much thx :)

PiLsY
09-19-2002, 05:18 AM
Ive been asked to edit my original post. Not happy about it but its edited anyway. It hardly seems to be starting a flame war considering the original comment made by sinnah. Anyway, its edited now so forget it. Suffice to say sinnah that I dont think you should be making "simple observations" without first considering what you are saying. Opp merely reviewed the unit. He got decent performance from it, and showed his results. At the time it WAS the best performing cooling you could buy. No questions.

The fact that maxxpert QC was pretty poor can in no way be blamed on Opp, nor can the consequences of this poor QC. He had had the unit for, I believe, 4 days when he wrote the review.

Any other review you read cannot possibly comment on long term reliability or quality control, as 99% of reviews are done on a product that the reviewer has for a total of about a week. This is common practice. A company sends out a product, usually on short term loan to go around all the reviewers whove asked to review it and been approved. This is the way it works.

I should point out that when the reliability problems started to surface Opp added a footnote to his review about quality control issues. When his unit failed (some 3 months later if memory served) he pulled the review altogether. How can you ask more of someone than this?

Your original comment was ill thought out, and in my opinion just a cheap shot form someone who seems intent on bating people into arguments. You knew perfectly well when you wrote that it would entice defensive comments from Opp and his friends. If you truly do believe what you wrote above I have nothing else to say other than you are being VERY nieve, and that anyone with some common sense will see straight through what you wrote. This is nothing more than an attempt at seeking attention for yourself.

If one of the mods would care to look back through sinnahs posts you will see that this sort of inflammatory comment is the norm from him. I would suggest some sort of warning be sent to him, as in all honesty there is only so much of this type of personality that people can take.

Hopefully I wont be asked to edit this post as well, as ive been very careful with my wording here. It seems somewhat draconian that the original post by myself was requested to be edited. No offense to yourself for asking me hardass - I know youre a decent person. Even though weve never talked directly really I have no score to settle or anything with yourself. You have my utmost respect, as do 99.9% of the other posters on these forums. It just seems a rather odd thing to be asked.

PiLsY.

Bravo
09-19-2002, 06:14 AM
PiLsY, you have my apology. Check your PM.

N8
09-19-2002, 06:14 AM
I will vouch for what PiLsY's saying about Sinnah's post trend...I saw him post recently that he was Bravo @ Icrontic and he had similar behavior there. I just ignore his posts most times.

Bravo
09-19-2002, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by [N8]
I will vouch for what PiLsY's saying about Sinnah's post trend...I saw him post recently that he was Bravo @ Icrontic and he had similar behavior there. I just ignore his posts most times.

REMOVED CONTENT - KEEP LANGUAGE IN CHECK - JBELL
PiLsY has recieved a PM explaining the source of my anger, i have apologised to him, and you will probably see me here no longer.

N8
09-19-2002, 06:31 AM
Sorry, just gathering what I've observed in the year or so of seeing you post in the forums.

I dun care to crap on this thread any longer, I'm done :)

Hardass
09-19-2002, 06:39 AM
There will be no more of this. This thread will be closed and I will delete all posts except those with helpful info. Use PM,s to discuss this with each other. Sinnah please clean up the language in your post. Thank you all.

septimus
09-19-2002, 07:50 AM
Wow, so the Prom. makes a bit of noise generated from the fans blowing across the AC evaporator? hmm.... The one and only reason I got water cooling was the sound that a high-cfm delta makes. Now I may have to consider this Prometea! Having my oh-so-hot T-bird on ice might allow me to run it at the voltages that motherboards like the epox KT333 and new abit KT400 based boards can provide. Some interesting times ahead ;)

Hardass
09-19-2002, 07:53 AM
Good luck what ever you do.

septimus
09-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Hey thanks Hardass. These days, I can use all the luck I can get. No really. ;)

OPPAINTER
09-19-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Sinnah

Tom's Hardware Bribe :rolleyes:

OPP, take this anyway you will, but i dont want to know how well your processor overclocks with the new vapo. I want to know cooling capacity (c/w), noise levels, power consumption, ease of use and installation, as well as garantee of prolonged use wont damage my processor or the vapochill itself.

I would not like to see a repeat of the Maxxpert incident, where on your recommendation, people purchased it, and were left in the lurch (i do not doubt Asetek will fall apart overnight, but the example is apt).

Sinnah,

Well it wasn't my fault the Company took a dump, I fell bad about what happen but theres nothing I can do, I wrote the review honestlly and it happened be running great. The fact of the matter is that my MX-EVA3 died on me also, much later then the review.

As far as what You Want my Reviews to look like I'm afraid your out of luck:D I'll do reviews however I feel like doing them:D

OPP

JBELL
09-20-2002, 10:53 AM
This Thread is Done

*CLICK*