PDA

View Full Version : MS Virtual PC 2004?

sjohnson
03-09-2004, 10:08 PM
I bought into the MS plan where you get licenses and new software 4 times a year, NFS software for evaluation/training. Bought into it a year ago, really good deal at $99 for the year.

The recent mailing included MS Virtual PC 2004. Anyone out there have any experience with this? I'm thinking about setting up a 80gb hd and seeing how many different O/S's I can run.

I've heard scuttlebutt that it's VMWare rebadged with MS own logo.

st0nedpenguin
03-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Nearly, it's VirtualPC with a Microsoft logo. :D

I haven't tried it out yet, but VirtualPC was my preferred "virtual PC" application for quite some time, most likely worth a play.

sjohnson
03-14-2004, 11:28 AM
My subscription is nearly up, but for $99 I've gotten perhaps 20-30k worth of retail software. If I see another deal like this from MS I'll pass it along here.

Thanks, st0nedpenguin! :)

st0nedpenguin
03-14-2004, 11:48 AM
You have prompted me to give MS VirtualPC a try, got a Mandrake 10 installation going on as I type as it doesn't seem to like the SATA RAID on this motherboard. :D

sjohnson
03-14-2004, 11:50 AM
lol, you're beating me to it. I need to migrate from a 40 to an 80 Gbyte HD to give it a go.

st0nedpenguin
03-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Well, I can definitely confirm that is is just Connectix VirtualPC with a Microsoft logo, everything is where I expected it to be, and functions exactly the same, the only real change is the lack of anything other than Microsoft operating systems in the OS selection menu.:rolleyes:

Still works when set to "Other" though, and adds to the fun, installing Linux on Microsoft VirtualPC just adds an extra touch of irony.

It's not the optimum way for me to play with Mandrake 10, but until I get the RAID controller thing sorted out, it'll do me nicely.:D

As long as you have enough free space on your current drive, it'll just create a file containing the guest OS, just thought I'd throw that in in case you were wondering if you would need to repartition, hence the extra drive.

Wrench
04-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Use it all the time. Its alright but VMware is still much better