PDA

View Full Version : How to clean crud out of radiator?

lalPOOO
03-08-2004, 03:34 PM
I've got a small radiator/transmission oil cooler here that I've been messing around with for a couple months. I'm slowly going to ease myself into watercooling at atm the only thing really stopping me is money and a proper pump.

Anyways I must have left some water inside the thing because it seems to have grown some stuff inside, and theres a general residue of filth built up inside from what I can see. Whats the best way to get this crap out?

Also, if anyone is good with pumps, I have this
http://www.thesustainablevillage.com/servlet/display/product/detail/23418
It has proven to be quite the bastard with its noisemaking, vibration, intolerance and I'm pretty sure its a bit leaky too. I'm not really sure what I can do with it other then running submerged (something I don't plan to do) This pump is 2x louder then my current computer, which has something like 8 or 9 fans in it. :confused:
I'm pretty sure I'm just going to buy a Danner Mag3 and sell this one or throw it somewhere, but it'd be cool if I could actually use it.

Karnivore
03-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Sorry, no help on your pump other than to suggest a replacement. However to clean your H2O loop, or components, the following mixture works well (I've used it), The Quote is from AirSpirit over at ProCooling.

*sol (75% Pine Sol 25% Lysol): cleans hose deposits, kills bugs, raises your grandmother from the grave, organizes your socks, VERY bad for efficiency

skate2snow
03-08-2004, 03:59 PM
6GPM is not bad. But a danner mag 3 whould be great and cheap. The only thing ive heard of bad about that pump is the heat, so if you can put it before your Radiator i think that problem is dead.

lalPOOO
03-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Actually even when the pump is hooked in a straight loop with just the rad with 2 90mm fans on it it the pump itself still gets really hot. Probably because it has nothing connecting the motor to the plastic shell (which is cyclindrical and not rectangular like in the picture) Its not the flow rate that I have a problem with, the flow is great actually, its just the massive amount of noise the thing makes.

Thanks karnivore, hopefully I'll be able to find those lying around this house. Should I just fill the rad and then slush it around inside or ?

Karnivore
03-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by lalPOOO
hopefully I'll be able to find those lying around this house. Should I just fill the rad and then slush it around inside or ?

Connect it to that noisy pump you have, let the pump flush it. Maybe you could build some kind of Acoustic dampening box, make everything, or at least pump external, and quiet it down with insulation...

saaya
03-08-2004, 05:25 PM
is it a copper rad? then get some hydrochloric acid :D

lalPOOO
03-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Nah its alu. I actually took care of almost all my parts in one go. Filled up the laundry room sink (after scrubbing lint off it for about 20 minutes) and then used lysol and betadine. Both my radiator and my heatercore and pump are all looking a bit spiffer and theres no longer a ton of gunk :D
Radiator/oil cooler is made by hayden, but I can't find any pictures online. Heatercore is from a Ford Explorer ('91) It came out of my dads car beacause it was leaking or something, however I havn't gotten it to leak yet, so I may just use it. :D thanks guys

saaya
03-08-2004, 05:59 PM
np ... nice g2mx clocks! what are your 2k1 scores like?

lalPOOO
03-08-2004, 08:59 PM
5273 I think. I'm still using the stock cooling on the card, which is kind of slowing me down. Hopefully sometime this week I'll get a nice beefy heatsink on there and do a full voltmod. I'm hoping to hit 6k with this card in the future :D

edit: had 2 numbers mixed up:
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7619290