PDA

View Full Version : No luck

G H Z
03-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Well so far my experience with the Mach I has been disappointing.

-1st attempt on NF7-S resulted in no boot and dead hardware that I have yet to look at closer due to disgust.

-2nd attempt resulted in a dead K8N Pro MB. In this try I think what really happened was in removing the A64 heatsink mounting plate from the rear of the MB, which uses a very tough and sticky rubber coated adhesive, that the MB was damaged. Maybe by flexure or somthing. It had to come off for the insulation. That adhesive is a really a crappy setup that needs to be re-thought imo.

However, I did engineer my own A64 evap mount that works perfectly:D

Gleep
03-07-2004, 09:42 PM
So on the first attempt did it boot at all? If so how long did it run before it died? Did it have good contact with the cpu when you removed it (a nice cpu size spot impression in the cpu goop)?

On the second attempt, how did you remove the backplate? Was it with a screw driver? If it was you might have scratched the board and created a short in the traces.

In both cases did you have the evap head properly sealed? Was either board wet when you took it apart after the failure(s)?

G H Z
03-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Thanks Gleep,

Never booted either board. Had good contact and seal in both cases. This unit does take it time getting down to operating temperature......roughly 1 1/2 min. I don't know if that is normal or not. But after the try with the K8N Pro last night I just let it run for a while as I had never ran it more than a few min in the past.

I was surprised when it set off the alarm @ -50°. This is an un-modded MachI. Obviously there was no heat load but it still surprised me. I did use a screwdriver but the blade never touched the board. Only between the rubber and plate. The board did flex alot under the needed pressure.

With the NF7-S the only thing that seemed out of order was the prommy start up time over 1 min. If I had the temperature throttling disabled in the BIOS would this be a possible problem?

I did test that system last night and it looks like the board is dead as well, have not tested the chip yet:confused:

Gleep
03-08-2004, 01:19 PM
If you had good contact and a good seal I don't see how the prom could have caused a board or a cpu to fail. Even without thermal protection the cpu would never reach failure temp with the prom fuctioning correctly even during pull down. Maybe it's a problem with the reset hold, have you tried resetting the bios on the NF7-S and starting it up with air cooling? The mach 1 just holds the motherboard reset untill it reaches -33C which causes problems with some boards, I have a seprate power supply to run my mach 1 because of this problem.

The K8N Pro I'm clueless on, I've never even seen one and know nothing about the back plate, maybe someone else can speak up about it.

The start up time for your prom is normal.