PDA

View Full Version : Win XP Pro and nForce3 drivers - "Bad couple"...!?

Matshui
03-06-2004, 12:12 PM
I am having a really annoying problem with my newly bought hardware, well actually my software.

I recently bought myself a new A64 and Shuttle AN50R, nothing wrong with that, it is Windows XP that is giving me problems...

Wenn I finally got my hardware I off course wanted to get it running as fast as possible, got Win XP Pro installed, booted up, installed the nForce3 chipset driver that came on the Shuttle cd, restarted, and then it would not load Windows, the blue loading bar just stopped after a while, and then every 2 minutes or so it moves a little...

To solve that problem I reinstalled Win XP again, installed the chipset drivers, and then it loaded, but after installing all the updates from Microsoft including SP1, it became really unstable, after a restart that problem was also over, mainly couse it never stoppe as some programs still wasnøt working as they was supposed to...
And also it restarted once in a while, sometime after 30 minutes, and other times after a whole day of running.. Sometimes when I wasn't doing anything, and other times when it folded or I just tried to open a program.....

Also when I tried to overclock, either the CPU or GFX, made the comp either get fails in the test programs or simply restarting, no matter if I used BIOS or ClockGen overclocking...
I was only able to clock up to 2002,5Mhz without any problems.. :confused:

Then yesterday I would get rid of that problem, and I downloaded the nForce chipset driver fom nVidia, installed it and now it wont load Windiws againg... :bsod:

What can cause this problem, and how can I solve it..? I have no idea anymore, first I thought it could be the ATi drivers, then the chipset drivers, and none of it worked...
I see many poeple on here running ans AN50R, and probably most of them also Win XP...

I would really apreciate some good help, as I really want to be able to use my new hardware without suddently restarts and other small problems...

Hardware:
A64 3000+, Shuttle AN50R, Asus Radeon 9200SE 128Mb (Ti4400 not home right now), 2x256Mb Mushkin PC3500 Level II with BH-5, 40Gb Seagate IDE and 120Gb Maxtor SATA, Linksys WiFi card..

Karnivore
03-06-2004, 12:23 PM
On a clean install here is the order I follow, if you don't follow this order of install problems can occur.. This has just been my experience, I've built alot of systems, and I personally usually do a clean install every month, sometimes more often..

Win XP
Network device driver (mostly so i can dload latest drivers)
SP1
chipset drivers
DX9x (optional)
Vidcard driver

Not saying this is the only way, just that as often as I install xp/2k this has proven to be the most reliable method for me.

Matshui
03-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Ok, I am now trying that...
I just began installing SP1 now, so lets so what will happen...

Karnivore
03-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Wish you luck, and BTW: welcome to xtreme:toast:

Matshui
03-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Finished installing SP1 and chipset drivers, it loaded Win without any problems this time....

Thx for the welcome.... :p:

Karnivore
03-06-2004, 02:58 PM
Hope your problems are solved:)

Matshui
03-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Well it looks like they are solved now, atleast I don't see any symptoms on anything just like the problems I have had before...

So thank you for your help, I actually though it would have been much harder to solve this problem than it was...:D

Karnivore
03-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Matshui
Well it looks like they are solved now, atleast I don't see any symptoms on anything just like the problems I have had before...

So thank you for your help, I actually though it would have been much harder to solve this problem than it was...:D

excellent, glad you got it worked out! I found out the hard way long ago that installation order can make a difference, you might go through hundreds of upgrades without a hitch, then all the sudden endless problems. Generally that install order has yet to fail fixing stability problems that seemingly have no real cause..

Matshui
03-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I have also been struggeling my head since monday what could cause this problem, but I would probably never have gotten the idea to install in a different order....
It was just natural for me to install the chipset driver as the first thing, maybe a memory from my old nForce2 days.... :)

But at the bottom line there are maybe no logical explanation to why this problem occur...!?