PDA

View Full Version : Waterchilling Questions

LoudHoward
03-06-2004, 05:23 AM
Hi, I would like to build myself a chiller, except I have a few questions that need to be answered before I start.

1. Would a good freezer chill the water to negative temperatures and keep it there even while my system is running? By good freezer I mean a small chest freezer with its evaporator in a res or just using it as the res itself.

2. What waterblocks can I use? Will the jet impingement blocks work with a chiller?

3. Must I use submersible pumps? I hear that non-submersed pumps get damaged when pumping liquids that are below 0.

Thanks.

water_cooler 20
03-06-2004, 05:58 AM
1. A chest freezer's compressor is kind of small but I think it chould pulldown the water below 0C but i don't think it will go to far below under load. I would get an AC unit and build it like in the sticty chiller/ ac unit.

2. Any water block would work as long as its made of all coppper meaning no poly top(see through tops) sine poly topsd tend to crack below 0C

3. You don't have to use a submersible pump u can just use a normal pump and drop it in the res.

LoudHoward
03-06-2004, 12:23 PM
An AC unit might be too expensive. A window one would cost about the same as 670 dollars for me. I will look for a second hand one. The chest freezer would just be a lot easier.

What mixture coolant should I use?

jamaljaco
03-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by LoudHoward
Hi, I would like to build myself a chiller, except I have a few questions that need to be answered before I start.

1. Would a good freezer chill the water to negative temperatures and keep it there even while my system is running? By good freezer I mean a small chest freezer with its evaporator in a res or just using it as the res itself.

2. What waterblocks can I use? Will the jet impingement blocks work with a chiller?

3. Must I use submersible pumps? I hear that non-submersed pumps get damaged when pumping liquids that are below 0.

Thanks. A good freezer would chill the coolant but most likely have trouble keeping it there ,the temps would rise over time under a load. If you can get the evap into a res you might have better luck.
the problem with the pumps being non-submersed versus submersed is the expansion rate of the materials used to make the pump. If the pump is non-submersed the inside of the pump gets colder way faster than the exterior causing uneven expansion/contraction of the materials thus potential breaking /cracking. If it is submersed the entire pump contracts/expands at pretty much the same rate.
For the record: I have used a danger den's lucite top Z block on my nb with my chiller at -25C for a couple months with no cracking/ leakage. It can work but I would avoid the risk if posible.

jamaljaco
03-06-2004, 12:45 PM
An AC unit might be too expensive. A window one would cost about the same as 670 dollars for me. I will look for a second hand one. The chest freezer would just be a lot easier.

What mixture coolant should I use? I wish I could send ya an ac I can find them pretty much for free around here.
If you do the freezer I would look into getting the evaps into a res. Probably a major hassle though. also if you go with the freezer I would not submerge the pump/s. You dont need them adding to your heat load and the temps probably wont be extreme enough to to cause any problems. use some form of alcohol for your coolant, methanol, ethanol, isopropyl ect..

iceman2g
03-07-2004, 07:16 PM
Where bouts do you get your a/c units jamaljaco? I can't find anything used for less than $80cdn.

LoudHoward
03-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Ah what luck! I have the chance to get a single door fridge with a fridge and freezer compartment for free. It has a pretty big compressor with quite a small evaporator and a HUGE condensor. Should this do the job?

LoudHoward
03-08-2004, 12:03 PM
What thermal paste should I use for sub zero temperatures?

LutaWicasa
03-08-2004, 02:22 PM
What thermal paste should I use for sub zero temperatures?

AS5 or Ceramique :)

This is of course just my opinion.

OCme
03-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Can anyone provide me a link on where to buy protective circuit board spray or PCB lacquer spray and a link for the sheats of neoprene here in America?

Slickthellama
03-08-2004, 06:11 PM
http://store.yahoo.com/tmt/silconcoat.html

they r00l.

edit, neoprene

http://dangerden.com/mall/Pelts/neoprene.asp

OCme
03-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks Slickthellama! I'm on it!:D

Slickthellama
03-08-2004, 06:21 PM
no problem, welcome to the sickness.

jamaljaco
03-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by iceman2g
Where bouts do you get your a/c units jamaljaco? I can't find anything used for less than $80cdn. Well, I have a big mouth I talk a lot ,lol.
I just ask around, scored 2 working units that way .I need a couple more and will probably end up getting them used for around 50 to 70 dallars U.S. at some pawn shop, Goodwill,or the like.

jamaljaco
03-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by OCme
Can anyone provide me a link on where to buy protective circuit board spray or PCB lacquer spray and a link for the sheats of neoprene here in America? I used the danger den stuff. Later you can find cheeper ways.I havn't used the PCB spray .I just use dilectric grease ( cheeper at an automotive parts store than the danger den) I also use various other stuff. maybe this weekend I will do a photo shoot of some of the products I use and an explanation of thier function.

jamaljaco
03-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Ah what luck! I have the chance to get a single door fridge with a fridge and freezer compartment for free. It has a pretty big compressor with quite a small evaporator and a HUGE condensor. Should this do the job? Got pics? we love pics. sounds good so far.

zakelwe
03-09-2004, 04:50 AM
I'll be testing a res in a freezer idea myself this weekend to see how badly the liquid gains temp over time when a load is added ( 80w Peltier ).

My system is the easiest it can be, a container in a freezer with tubes coming out of it, easiest but most ineffficient of course. How it does will be interesting.

Regards

Andy

LoudHoward
03-09-2004, 07:17 AM
I intend to take the freezer evaporator and put it in a reservoir like people do with the A/C evaporator. This should do quite well I reckon.

I will post pictures over the weekend. I won't have it connected to my PC, but the chiller part will be up and running.

jamaljaco
03-09-2004, 04:58 PM
I intend to take the freezer evaporator and put it in a reservoir like people do with the A/C evaporator. This should do quite well I reckon.

I will post pictures over the weekend. I won't have it connected to my PC, but the chiller part will be up and running. Nice , looking forward to the test run .

LoudHoward
03-11-2004, 09:37 AM
I can no longer get the fridge for free :(

Say hello to Mr. A/C!

jamaljaco
03-11-2004, 02:57 PM
I can no longer get the fridge for free :(

Say hello to Mr. A/C! Ah, much better . this will rock.

Peen
03-11-2004, 03:34 PM
jamal, wheres a good place around here that sells used A/c's? nobody I know has an AC to gimme for cheap :(

jamaljaco
03-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Peen
jamal, wheres a good place around here that sells used A/c's? nobody I know has an AC to gimme for cheap :( I offered you my monster ac. To late now I just put it on my bench it's awaiting mass destruction. I would check out the pawnshops, goodwill and the like If nothing else do the Wallmart thing for about a hundred bucks.:D

afireinside
03-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I got my 5.2k BTU from BJ's for 82 bucks :p:
I was one of the people stupid enough to buy a window AC when you can find them for free
I will be stupid enough to build my own chiller when I could use a window AC
:p:

Peen
03-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by jamaljaco
I offered you my monster ac. To late now I just put it on my bench it's awaiting mass destruction. I would check out the pawnshops, goodwill and the like If nothing else do the Wallmart thing for about a hundred bucks.:D

Yeah, 11 amps is too much me thinks :D I need something that was made this century! lol. hmm pawnshops ill have to look for a nice cheap high BTU one for fun

jamaljaco
03-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by afireinside

I will be stupid enough to build my own chiller when I could use a window AC
:p: The experience will be priceless:D

jamaljaco
03-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Peen
Yeah, 11 amps is too much me thinks :D I need something that was made this century! lol. hmm pawnshops ill have to look for a nice cheap high BTU one for fun I'll keep my eyes open for you.;)

Peen
03-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by jamaljaco
I'll keep my eyes open for you.;)
Thanks buddy :toast: I have some stuff im trying to sell for the waterblocks. Im going to get GPU , NB , and CPU but will probly only run CPU block with a chiller so I can learn first. anyways you got PM

LoudHoward
03-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Oooooh yeah. I got the A/C today, it took me about 4 hours of work to get it into an acceptable state. There was no dust on it, oh no not dust. I hate to take a scrubbing brush and work hard to clean off whatever the hell was on it. I will post pictures tomorrow of it.

BTW, it ices up in nice.