PDA

View Full Version : Colorless Water Additive

Z-301
03-02-2004, 02:39 PM
I am looking for a colorless water additive similar to Waterwetter or Zyrex -- do these exist? How necessary is it to actually put an additive in the water? Would I just need to change it more often if I didn't? Just a noob looking for some answers...

freecableguy
03-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Changing your water (and doing a bleed of the system) for maintenance would seriously suck. You want to put it together and get all the air out and have the additives in there to:

1) balance chemistry to prevent galvanization or electrolytic plating from one surface to another
2) minimize oxidation which can foul heat transfer surfaces and also cause hydraulic restrictions (more backpressure)
3) prevent biological growth
4) raise boiling points and lower freezing points
5) provide lubircation and wear protection to moving parts (like the pump impeller and main bearing)

Any questions?

Jimbo Mahoney
03-02-2004, 11:16 PM
I use antifreeze. It is not colourless (I have blue stuff here) but I only use about 1 antifreeze : 9 water, so it is very pale.

I believe antifreeze fits all the criteria, as outlined by freecableguy.

I'd say the most important reasons are:

1 and 3

Z-301
03-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Well what I want is clear liquid when the comp is off -- it will have invisible blue UV when on...guess this might not be possible unless I want to change it all the time...