PDA

View Full Version : Dry Ice, where to buy and whats the reaction to water?

skate2snow
02-29-2004, 12:05 PM
hey,

I whant to go in DI, but i dont know where to buy some. Someone know a local shop(ex: drug store, grosserie)?

And if i put some in 80% alcol(for like 30% of water) what the DI will do? just evaporate or cool the water?

paul007
02-29-2004, 12:53 PM
use acetone from homedepot or such M8.. its the best you can get really unless you can get some 99% ot high grade pure alch.

charlie
02-29-2004, 01:20 PM
99% rubbing alcohol (isopropanol) is pretty good too, will start to thicken SLIGHTLY, but works well.

C

saratoga
03-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Dry Ice does not react chemically with much of anything (CO2 is already in the air, anything affected by it would have been destroyed billions of years ago). When in contact with water it sublimates immediately.

Becuase the enthapy of vaporization of gases is roughly 5-10 times as great as the heat of fussion, typically the liquid in conact with the sublimating solid freezes very quickly.

Basically the dry ice will very quickly turn to gas and the water will quickly freeze solid. Though this is dependant on how much of each you mix and what you add to the water (though dry ice can freeze pretty much all alcohols IIRC).

Soulburner
03-01-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by saratoga
Basically the dry ice will very quickly turn to gas and the water will quickly freeze solid. Though this is dependant on how much of each you mix and what you add to the water (though dry ice can freeze pretty much all alcohols IIRC).
When I was a kid we used to play with dry ice in the sink all the time. We would have a big chunk in there for at least half an hour before it was all gone, and we put soap in the water so the water would bubble up.

It never froze, and the water wasn't even cold...we probably used warm water or something.

But maybe the soap could prevent it from freezing?

Russell_hq
03-01-2004, 04:16 AM
Its all just a numbers game :D

Dry Ice sublimates at -78.5ºC so any liquid that has a freezing point below this will never freeze no matter how much dry ice you add.

Dry Ice also has an enthalpy of vaporisation/sublimation of 571.8kJ/kg, this means it requires 571.8 kJ of energy to turn a 1kg solid block into gas. To cool water you require 4.2kJ/kg.ºC and to freeze water you need 334kJ/kg. Thus assuming that all the energy of vaporisation of CO2 goes into the water. 1kg or 0.66 litres of CO2 will freeze approximatly 1.3kg or 1.3 litres of 25ºC water. The true value will be less due to heat losses to the environment.

Lets put it another way, if we compare densities you would need a block of CO2 that would take up atleast half the volume of the 25ºC water before you could get ice.

This is probably alot more dry ice than you were thinking it would take.

skate2snow
03-01-2004, 05:35 AM
ok, now i know i will not use dry ice for water, probably on my water blocks(dont worry, my water resist to more then -20C before freezing). I think i will get geat results like that.

And can someone answer where i can find some DI(like what kind of shop)?

And if i put it in a cooler(w/ some little holes. If you can answer this you know why im doing some holes;)). Is it doing like this: The Dry Ice is at -78.5C, so my cooler temps after like an half hour will be around -50C or less so i will keep my DI longer?

THX

Oh, and is this the proper forum for DI, coze theyres no forum for DI? :confused:

Soulburner
03-01-2004, 12:59 PM
skate you could check out grocery stores, I don't know if they still use it but my dad used to be the manager of Frozen Foods and he had access to lots of the stuff.

skate2snow
03-01-2004, 02:10 PM
i called at all the groceries(17), no one have some.

so if you have some suggestion tell me;)

sjohnson
03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Every WalMart that sold food that I've ever shopped at had dry ice. Try calling there...

Unknown_road
03-01-2004, 02:38 PM
In the netherlands you can buy dry-ice at a company(called hoekloos.nl) that delivers gasses to medical facilities. Don't know if you can find such a company in Canada?

skate2snow
03-01-2004, 04:05 PM
I think i found something. One grocerie, have theyre meat packaged w/ some DI, so i will go get the DI like every 2 day.:D:D:D:D.

And i have no walt-mart in the 2 hour marge lol

PGgagne
03-01-2004, 05:06 PM
lol But theres not WalMarts in Edmonston lol

skate2snow
03-01-2004, 05:12 PM
we have 9K of population!

sjohnson
03-01-2004, 05:43 PM
I have to drive 2 hours to the nearest walmart. 9k population? Hah! Gregory has about 1600. My whole county is less than 5000 hee hee! Edmonston is a regular metropolis in comparison.

Anyways, glad to hear you found a source, now get to it! :)

skate2snow
03-01-2004, 05:46 PM
sorry for my english man;)
And dont think edmundton, its edmundston, edmundton is almsot a metropolis!

The Dry Ice will be free!!!!!!!!:D but im not sure of the quality, but DI is DI:D

D3Railur
03-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Baskin Robbins ice cream has it. I suppose any ice cream place would have it. You might wanna try there.

Another word from dry ice playin with experience. You wont freeze whatever you are working with solid, but if whatever the medium is does freeze at those temps, it will freeze only around the DI and insulate it from what you are trying to cool. If that makes any sense?

skate2snow
03-01-2004, 06:07 PM
I already have some free, so why get some and pay more for? :rolleyes:

And i will insulate, dont worry;)

kommando
03-01-2004, 09:55 PM
I just ask my mates dad if he can get me some and he gets some :)

So with dry ice cooling do you pour some form of liquid in the cup with the dry ice?

skate2snow
03-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Me, i will just put some dry ice on my waterblocks that are already chilled and my GPU TECed, so i hope to get good OC:D

But if you make a CPU cup for DI you put some Dry Ice and a bit of water just to the DI touch everywhere on the bottom.

Soulburner
03-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Actually, you need to use alcohol, not water, as the water will sludge up.

I wouldn't put it into your watercooling loop.

skate2snow
03-02-2004, 12:36 PM
My water have a -15, -20C resistance and i will add some alcool, so i think i will be good w/ that, no?

lalPOOO
03-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Hate to threadcrap, but since you've already pretty much solved your problem (i think..)
You have this in your town right? (see picture) I passed through Edmonstun during the summer and I have a bunch of pictures, but I'm just not sure if they're from Edmonstun.

skate2snow
03-03-2004, 04:40 AM
yup, thats the "p'tit fortin" it was the fort of are fighter for the separation of the New-Brunswick and the Main.

p'tit fortin meens "little fort"

Techmasta
03-03-2004, 09:40 AM
So you are going to hold DI on your waterblocks? How are you going to add the alcohol? And DI gets colder than -20 IIRC.

skate2snow
03-03-2004, 01:09 PM
I willput alot more of alcool. I know the DI gets colder then -20C, but the water will pass very fast(MCP600) and the water SHOULD come around -30C, so w/ the amout of alcool i put it will be ok.

Plus, the DI will freeze the block so i should get around -20C on my CPU

charlie
03-06-2004, 03:28 PM
btw, from experience mixing DI with water doesn't work well, at least not tap water. Your water will get white clumps in it and be "dirty". When the DI sublimates in hte water it releases CO2 into the water directly. This combines with the Calcium, Magnesium and other elements in the water to form calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate and other stuff.

C

skate2snow
03-06-2004, 03:45 PM
I have a freezer chest w/o compressor(i broke it:(). I will do a kind of bug net over the water and put some DI on the net. I will do some hoile in the closing insulation, so the CO2 can go out.

Do you think its a good idea?

Slickthellama
03-07-2004, 12:21 PM
actually dry ice is always sublimating when at room temperature, water just makes it visable ;) . Ever tried throwing a block on a wood floor? It glides on a pocket, almost no friction. try it, it's fun, detroit ice co. has it for sale, you might be able to have em ship it to ya.

skate2snow
03-07-2004, 12:30 PM
I can have some free and ALOT, so why go pay for some;)

charlie
03-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Or try immersing mobo/CPU/VC into tub full of dielectric oil with 20 pounds of DI pellets thrown in :D Don't even need a heatsink, but a plain copper one would work well

C

kommando
03-07-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by charlie
Or try immersing mobo/CPU/VC into tub full of dielectric oil with 20 pounds of DI pellets thrown in :D Don't even need a heatsink, but a plain copper one would work well

C

Is this for stopping condensation?

Tedinde
03-08-2004, 12:15 AM
You can get Dry ice from any ICE store, look in you phone book. Or go to a convienience store and look on their regualar bags of ice for a number.

I get mine from a ICE place that sells giant blocks, Cubes, and dry ICE 10lbs for $5.00, anything less then 10lbs they charge $1 per pound.

Or you can buy a CO2 tank, and the attachment for the end and make your own.

skate2snow
03-08-2004, 11:16 AM
what do you meen by "ICE" store?

And i dont whant to pay 5000$ for a Dry Ice maker!

Tomsawyer
03-09-2004, 01:00 PM
If you had the cash and the space can you imagine having a dry ice maker/ computer setup? You could have a continous supply of dry ice to cool your system :D

course by then your neighbors would have staged a rebellion, your wife unit would have staged a divorce and your dog would have just gone awol lol

skate2snow
03-09-2004, 01:10 PM
lol,

I will only use my DI for some hard benching days(about 90% of the days:D:D). LOL. And i have the space for a mini DI maker, they sell some for about 2000$ and theyre about 1m cube size(3ft)