PDA

View Full Version : Question on weakness in OC'ing...

mook
09-13-2002, 09:13 PM
9 times out of 10, what seems to be the weakness in overclocking? I'm directing this question at the Athlon XP users primarily (Stupid Intel and their fixed PCI/AGP, bah!)

Started firing up the new processors I ordered from newegg, and found an AROIA that seems quite fabulous. I'm running it currently at 175x10.5 at stock voltage. My problem is that as soon as I move the fsb up to 180 at any multiplier, my display goes black. It doesn't go into a soft reboot, it just kinda sits there.

Are video cards usually the limiting factor, due to the AGP spec being thrown out of whack? Turning it down to 2x AGP, turning off fastwrites, turning off just about everything didn't help matters.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keeper
09-13-2002, 09:44 PM
Is your hard drive working while this is going on?

I tweaked my system and got the same thing, got pissed and left it alone (I was ready to put a bullet in it), came back a couple of hours later and it was up. System ran fine, rebooted and timed it, took 49 min. to boot up. Neadless to say, reinstalled the OS at the new timmings, no problemos.

mook
09-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Hrm, it's a thought, I'll have to try it and see what happens.

Were you using the SetFSB program also? (Big thanks to sysfailur for posting that, been looking for the KR7A version of it for a long time)

sjohnson
09-14-2002, 03:44 AM
Unlock that CPU and try it at 172X11 - if it posts/boots you have a memory/PCI card/AGP/IDE/chipset problem. If it doesn't, it's the CPU.