PDA

View Full Version : Networking help!!!??!!!

3rd-Dimension
02-28-2004, 10:24 AM
alright im trying to get my network in my house going properly but having some probs. Heres a pic of how i have it hooked up now. Now i do have two nics in my comp and both work. i use winroute for the dhcp and nat on my comp. problem is i cant get it to work. keeps giving me the default windows 169 no ip ip for the card going to the router. im using an xover cable to the router from my comp to no avail. any help appreciated.

TheDogFather
02-28-2004, 10:45 AM
I might be way off here, My sum knowledge of networking was setting mine up.

Shouldn't it be Modem>router>hub>computers ?

TDF.

3rd-Dimension
02-28-2004, 10:54 AM
i want my comp outside router firewall directly connected to the internet.

Teus
02-28-2004, 12:03 PM
blah. use the main PC as firewall/router. don't use the router, connect the PC directly to the router.

or hook the router directly to the internet connection, and place the main computer in the DMZ

John Cena
02-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Do this

Cable Modem --> Router ---> 1 port of router to your computer, other port of router to hub ---> all other computers to hub
That only works if you have more than 1 port on your router :)

3rd-Dimension
02-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by John Cena
Do this

Cable Modem --> Router ---> 1 port of router to your computer, other port of router to hub ---> all other computers to hub
That only works if you have more than 1 port on your router :)

trying to get it b4 router :stick:

3rd-Dimension
02-28-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Teus
blah. use the main PC as firewall/router. don't use the router, connect the PC directly to the router.

or hook the router directly to the internet connection, and place the main computer in the DMZ

ur statement confuses me. u say not to use the router by connecting the pc the way im showing in my drawing and then saying dont use router at all BUT connect the pc directly to the router? tried the dmz but still doesnt work right. Damn it i have a comp sci degree and cant figure this crap out. i want my money back :mad:

2fast4u
02-28-2004, 11:49 PM
cable/router/hub/pc

Go into the router config and set the ip of the pc you want to be outside in the dmz.

3rd-Dimension
03-05-2004, 03:24 PM
dmz doesnt work but fug it i said dont care anymore.