PDA

View Full Version : Heres a new twist on the vDIMM mod..

Odysseus_____
02-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Ok, I vDIMM modded my P4P800 so I could put more voltage on the memory. But I didn't like the fact that I couldn't monitor the voltage real time, without having to stick a voltage probe from my multimeter in there. Very unconvenient. SO, here's what I did....

Instead of using a small 10-turn pot for the mod, I used a larger 10-turn (20k worked fine) made by Bourns (3504S-001-203 I think), and mounted it in a blank drive bay. I also put a small toggle switch in series with it so I could bypass the mod, and mounted it in the panel as well. Then, I ordered a digital panel-mount voltage meter ( www.acculex.com ), part # DP-354G. Mounted it in the blank bay with the switch and potentiometer. And TADAA! Now, I can monitor and adjust my vDIMM mod in real time without having to open the case and put a probe down in there, or use a tiny screwdriver on a PCB mount 10-turn pot... here's a pic of the finished product....Hope this is helpful to all...

Karnivore
02-28-2004, 10:09 AM
Only problem with that is the addition of wire to the circuit could effect stability. If your system is near the edge it won't help. And even if it doesn't cause problems today it could easily tomorrow, or anytime in the future. All connections should be kept as short and direct as possible.

Odysseus_____
02-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Hmm.... interesting thought. I'll keep that in mind. I had wondered about that when I did it. Also, I also used single strand wire in an attempt to aid that. I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet, but I will be keeping an eye on it now that you mentioned it. The panel meter is tapped in at the leg of the mosfet where you would normally check the voltage with a multimeter. I'll also be doing a PSU 3.3v rail mod tonight more than likely to be able to put more voltage on the memory, as I want to be able to put about 3.5 or so on it(right now my limit is 3.3v)... From what I've seen in here, alot of these people are able to put a bit more than that to it and it still works ok...

Also, I might add that the idea wasn't to increase performance beyond what the vdimm mod did for me (which it did help alot), I just wanted to add the convenience of being able to monitor / adjust it as needed...

I appreciate the input though. I'm glad to see a forum around where people aren't scared to push the limits of the components in their systems...:)

Odysseus_____

Karnivore
02-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Great job regardless, and it does make adjustment convenient, its kind of one of those things, it may not, and possibly never will cause problems. Just could, and something as simple as a new kitchen appliance could set it off....

:thumbsup: on a great mod anyway...

Odysseus_____
02-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it. And hey, if it does mess things up, that's the cost of all this modding sometimes... I'm always looking for something different to do to this computer.

On a different note, I guess if I had originally bought some faster DDR other than Corsair XMS LLS PC3200, I wouldn't have to push it to the extreme...lol, but I'm running it @ 1:1 240Mhz right now (2.5-3-3-5) and it seems to be stable.... I guess too much is never enough...

"Hello, my name's odysseus, and I'm an overclocking addict..." lol

Karnivore
02-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Doh, where is my manners, welcome to the sickness:D

Odysseus_____
02-28-2004, 11:02 AM
LoL... thanks. Glad to have arrived... :D

enzoR
02-28-2004, 11:39 AM
you can always shield the wire. wrap some foil around it, then heatshrink over it, and if your really in for it ground the foil :)

Odysseus_____
02-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Yep... Actually I also considered an option similar to that. I have some Belden shielded cable that I was going to use, but the wires in it werent single conductor. But it would have been better for wire management I suppose. I think the only real weak link in the whole mod may be the 2-pin plugs I attached to the motherboard so that if I have to remove the motherboard, I don't have to un-solder my mod... I can simply unplug it.

Karnivore
02-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by enzoR
you can always shield the wire. wrap some foil around it, then heatshrink over it, and if your really in for it ground the foil :)

I would leave it as it is, capacitance, inductance, capacative coupling, and a number of other terms could all come to play. If it works don't fix it, Shielding will simply reduce the possibility of RFI, EMI, etc, all of which shouldn't be an issue in a metal case.

rj2
02-28-2004, 12:44 PM
what is the reasoning behind using single strand wire for these mods.i have everything laid out to mod my antec 550,but havent had the time,lazy,or a combination of the 2
thnx

Odysseus_____
02-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by rj2
what is the reasoning behind using single strand wire for these mods.i have everything laid out to mod my antec 550,but havent had the time,lazy,or a combination of the 2
thnx

Well, general opinion is that single strand wire has less loss than multi-strand wire, or at least that's what I'm told. You may not even notice the difference, but I figured that since the components here are quite sensitive, then why not? Actually, the wire I used came out of a LAN cable.

Only downside is, that it's a little more rigid than multi-strand wire, and if you're not careful, you can easily break your solder connection. I have done this and it's a pain. Actually, I was doing some wire management in my case at one time, and accidently broke the wire from my vDIMM mod... It was like 3 in the morning, and being like I am, I had to take the whole thing out of the case and resolder it right then... (It's a pain in the u know what to solder on the board while it's in the case, especially on the legs of a small surface-mount chip)...

Odysseus_____
02-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Karnivore
I would leave it as it is, capacitance, inductance, capacative coupling, and a number of other terms could all come to play. If it works don't fix it, Shielding will simply reduce the possibility of RFI, EMI, etc, all of which shouldn't be an issue in a metal case.

Agreed... I do alot of electronics service work for my job (I repair chemical analyzers in labs)... and I live by the same technician's motto.. "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it...". I wish alot of engineers would take heed to that... lol (No offense to any engineers out there, of course..)

Ragnarok
02-28-2004, 05:40 PM
well if it breaks just re-engineer it, that's the other motto :)

Odysseus_____
03-01-2004, 12:23 AM
LOL... yep... true...

Of course, now that I look back on the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" thing... I suppose if I really followed that as much as I like to think I do then I wouldn't be doing any of these mods at all, now would I?... oops.

:)

RuKK
03-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Methinks theres a difference between repair and improvement ;)

Very nice mod, btw. Thanks for the links to what you used.. I might just have to do something like this when I have more need of mobo vmods :)

And Welcome to Xtremesystems :D :toast: :toast:

STEvil
03-05-2004, 01:57 AM
You'll be fine ;)

Theres enough crosstalk and EMI happening in a computer that if it were going to affect stability by adding an "antenna" you would notice it right off the bat.

Nice idea, btw. I've wanted to do something similar to this, but just a monitor bay that can monitor a whole bunch of voltages for me (5+).

Karnivore
03-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by STEvil
You'll be fine ;)

Theres enough crosstalk and EMI happening in a computer that if it were going to affect stability by adding an "antenna" you would notice it right off the bat.

Nice idea, btw. I've wanted to do something similar to this, but just a monitor bay that can monitor a whole bunch of voltages for me (5+).

lol, wanna bet? give me 5 minutes outside your home and I'll prove you wrong...

STEvil
03-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Touch a DMM or a really long bare speaker wire to a mosfet (without grounding it out or touching other pins, etc).

Does your computer crash?

No.

There, prooved my point.

Karnivore
03-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by STEvil
Touch a DMM or a really long bare speaker wire to a mosfet (without grounding it out or touching other pins, etc).

Does your computer crash?

No.

There, prooved my point.

LOL, that proves nothing.... And I guarantee you I CAN completely KILL your computer, and quite easily cause it to reboot over and over. All I have to do is get within 100 yards of it, adding all kinds of wire, and cobbled mods justs makes my task easier...

dobbz
04-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Karnivore, pleasepleaseplease make a HOWTO for that! :eek:

dobbz
04-15-2004, 11:35 PM
i was just kidding. :smileysex

Holst
04-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Nice mod, looks very smart.

As for long wires affecting stability... they "can" do.

Wires from power planes are very unlikely to affect atability (voltage measurement aids) as they are filtered by caps on the board.
Long wires from FB mods "may" cause spikes and stuff, however ive never noticed this myself. However I consider it good practice to keep wires as short as possible, and when I can I will swap SMT comonents rather than bridge over things.