PDA

View Full Version : 3.3V rail mod done wrong

HaLDoL
02-28-2004, 08:00 AM
I modded my Truecontrols 3.3V rail to get even more volts out of it. I did it as in this picture:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=163392#post163392

Everything seemed ok, so I connected my psu to my NF7-S with vdimm mod. I booted into the bios and checked my voltages. Nothing has changed. I powered down and checked my connections. It seemed that the wire to the ground was loose (i screwed too tightly to a screwhole on the mobo and it broke).

Then I attached the ground properly but it was too late. My NF7-S was dead. Tried another PSU, nothing happened. Tested all other components and they worked, so it has to be my mobo.

Now what could have gone wrong? What effect has 'not properly grounding' that wire on my volts and my mobo? Did it undervolt or overvolt? What on the motherboard is probably affected by this? Is it fixable?

Nebulous
02-28-2004, 08:24 AM
That's really odd :confused: . If you overvolted the 3.3v line, the psu would not boot up because of the overvolt protection. My guess is that ground wire made contact with something else on the board thus killin it.

Yesterday as i was tucking the waterpump's cable to the side, i accidently hit the 50k VR pot i have for my 3.3v mod. It's one huge basterd of a VR ! Big 'ol dial type. Anyways after i zip tied the wires and hooked evrything up and went to boot. All i got was a sudden power jolt and it shut right off. I tried again and nothing. Took the ATX connector off the mobo and got my MM to check. I turned down the dial and reset the VR's setting. Psu powered on and the MM showed 3.8v . Hooked evrything back up again and this time my rig booted up.

You may have shorted the mobo out. It can be fixed if you know what part is dead, but it will take some time to find it. My suggestion is RMA the board. Nuttin else you can do.

Asio
02-28-2004, 09:28 AM
U didnt ground the mod while stick having your pc on right?
This prolly killed the agp bus/slot
It can't take sudden changes on the 3.3 line...

HaLDoL
02-28-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Asio
U didnt ground the mod while stick having your pc on right?
This prolly killed the agp bus/slot
It can't take sudden changes on the 3.3 line...

yeah it was not grounded while i was in the bios. If my AGP slot is wasted I'l try and search a pci vga card. Maybe that will work.

I cannot RMA the board coz it's "fully" modded.

Nebulous
02-28-2004, 05:46 PM
Dang :( Well I hope with a pci card it'll work, but if not......*Plays taps*

HaLDoL
03-03-2004, 04:20 AM
Where on a nf7-s can I measure the vagp? And where the vcore?

STEvil
03-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Mosfet near the AGP slot I believe.

Mosfets near the cpu for the vcore. Just poke each pin until you find one that shows the same as your vcore.

My guess is when you took your ground off (or when it broke) you may have touched it to something on the board and discharged a capacitor through an IC or something to that effect... which isnt good, of course.

HaLDoL
03-22-2004, 08:46 AM
So if it didn't touch anything, there is a chance that my board still lives?

I studied the boot sequence more thoroughly:
- psu power on -> red light on; vdimm is 2.9V
- computer power on -> green light on, fans begin to spin, everything looks normal but after 5-10 seconds it powers down.
- Green light is out, red light is on. Vdimm is 0V
- Monitor is not responding during this short boot period.

During this short period I can measure vdimm and vdd and all looks normal. Will try and search for vcore and vagp. This will not be easy as I only have 5-10 seconds :)

Other possibility: a bad bios chip. Aren't these the same symptons of a bad bios chip?