PDA

View Full Version : cable broadband question

JBELL
09-13-2002, 05:24 PM
I got me a linksys cable modem through COX@Home

is there any good cable tweaks so i got down/up better than 2.8mbs/sec / 240kbs/sec???

TheDude
09-13-2002, 06:06 PM
Download Dr.TCPIP and try different settings for MTU, etc... then go somewhere and tests your speeds. Helped me to tweak my settings and improve my speeds.:D
For XP my recieve window is set to 18140 and MTU is 1492 all others are at default.

Tweaked!
09-13-2002, 08:59 PM
Jbell, try reading here. There's a really good latency adjustment halfway through. ;)

http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/

Smizack
09-13-2002, 09:39 PM
There is but they will catch you and cancel your account. There were a few guys that figured it out and they got prosecuted for it.

But if you insist, search for "how to uncap a surfboard modem" and you should find it.

JBELL
09-13-2002, 10:00 PM
well i honestly just want to know ... 2.8MBS is fast as hell!!

next question: is it hard to place switch behind the modem to run multiple rigs??? My sat service with earthlink/sprint blocked that. but what about cox highspeed??

if I could do that I would have two rigs or more at home folding!!

IFMU
09-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Bah, all you need to do is set the modem first, then it goes to your switch then to all your systems. I have Cox here too. And Ive been running at least 2 or 3 machines since I got it about 3 or 4 years ago. Techs have even been out looking at the setup and have never said anything about it.
Easy as pie.
Are you running a router too? or just a switch? Ive got a router (and switch)... that could cause a few differences?

TheDude
09-13-2002, 10:18 PM
I have ADSL...DSL modem to DSL router to 8 port switch...addresses are natted out to my 7 rigs....gonna add another 8 port switch soon so I can add more folders.:D

Smizack
09-13-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by IFMU
Bah, all you need to do is set the modem first, then it goes to your switch then to all your systems. I have Cox here too. And Ive been running at least 2 or 3 machines since I got it about 3 or 4 years ago. Techs have even been out looking at the setup and have never said anything about it.
Easy as pie.
Are you running a router too? or just a switch? Ive got a router (and switch)... that could cause a few differences?

Ed Zachery. It ain't no thang. If nothing else, just put a router in and hand out the ip's. I don't think they would even notice. I mean, I can't keep up with 350 people let alone thousands.
But if you have a switch, run modem>Router>switch. You could even go with multiple simple $10 hubs to do what your talking about.

IFMU
09-13-2002, 10:36 PM
Yup, what he said. I would personally suggest at least tryin to get your hands on a single port router though. So that way all your systems can stay connected all the time and have some protection against some l33+ crackers out there. lol... but mostly so the ISP only sees 1 IP bein handed out to your place. Most will want to charge if it becomes noticable that your running more then 1 machine. A 1 port shouldnt be to expensive. My 4 port was around 70 or so when I bought it.