PDA

View Full Version : I just got a new motherboard! :)

DeadHeart
09-13-2002, 03:36 PM
I went to my local shop to buy an 8k3a but they didn't have it in stock. Didn't felt like waiting and bought a new 8k5a2. I'm going to set up this puppy tomorrow. Let's see what I can get. I don't believe it will reach my kx7's performance. We'll see. :)

DeadHeart

N8
09-13-2002, 04:36 PM
Should be a good board, haven't heard alot of complaints about it yet, that's for sure. Good luck with it :)

DeadHeart
09-14-2002, 06:44 PM
As I expected, the kx7 is far better than this epox. I can't even run it at 200Mhz without getting my agp card all messed up. I heard than some new beta bios make it possible to go a little higher than the 'normal' one. I'll check it out tomorrow. However, this is my first day with this board. I didn't have the time to tweak it and play with its bios. Tomorrow I'll flash it and see what I can get. :)

DeadHeart

sysfailur
09-14-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by DeadHeart
As I expected, the kx7 is far better than this epox. I can't even run it at 200Mhz without getting my agp card all messed up. I heard than some new beta bios make it possible to go a little higher than the 'normal' one. I'll check it out tomorrow. However, this is my first day with this board. I didn't have the time to tweak it and play with its bios. Tomorrow I'll flash it and see what I can get. :)

DeadHeart

Don't give up on it... lots of people have been having good success with this puppy.

DeadHeart
09-15-2002, 08:19 AM
I believe I know what's my problem. This motherboard has passive cooling on the northbridge and the heatsink is really small. Believe me, I've touched it and I've never seen a heatsink so HOT! I can't keep my finger on it even for a second. I have to get some better cooling for it! I think it will improve the stability of the board at higher fsb.

DeadHeart

TodB
09-15-2002, 10:21 AM
I believe I know what's my problem. This motherboard has passive cooling on the northbridge and the heatsink is really small. Believe me, I've touched it and I've never seen a heatsink so HOT! I can't keep my finger on it even for a second. I have to get some better cooling for it! I think it will improve the stability of the board at higher fsb.

DeadHeart

You can bet a 1 000 bucks It WILL "fix" the problem.... I had the same problem with my 8K3A when trying to go over 180MHz FSB.... a no go until I put small fan on top of the HS and voala - 200FSB with ease....

This VT8367 chip sure puts out some serious heat....

DeadHeart
09-15-2002, 01:17 PM
Just added a very tiny fan to the damn hot northbridge and the cpu went from almost 48ºc to 43 (full load of course). It's curious that what has lowered is the cpu instead of the motherboard. I've also noticed that there are plenty of hot chips all around the motherboard. For instance: I can't touch the mosfets (sp?). They are also damn hot. I put a heatsink on them on my kx7. I think I'll have to do the same to these. However, they are much hotter than the abit's. Strange motherboard. :rolleyes:

DeadHeart

DeadHeart
09-15-2002, 01:20 PM
Temps have just lowered again:

Cpu lowered from 43 to 42.5ºc and the motherboard from 33 to 32ºc. It think the temperature will continue to decrease. :)

This motherboard is full of little hot spots. I've have to buy a couple heatsinks to cool it down and see if it will go higher.

DeadHeart

sysfailur
09-15-2002, 05:54 PM
Temps have just lowered again:

Cpu lowered from 43 to 42.5ºc and the motherboard from 33 to 32ºc. It think the temperature will continue to decrease. :)

This motherboard is full of little hot spots. I've have to buy a couple heatsinks to cool it down and see if it will go higher.

DeadHeart

Yes it is full of hot spots. I can up a heatsink and put them on the southbridge, and the memory voltage controller... See pic (http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/226w_1600+/cooling_shot1a.jpg)

Also, the mosfets get mad hot. At one point when I didn't have a fan on it the temps were up to 95C! I quickly put a fan on and temps dropped drastically.

DeadHeart
09-15-2002, 06:14 PM
I had already noticed the memory voltage controller (or whatever it is) was running pretty hot. I'm just testing the motherboard before I start to do any modding on it just in case I have to return it. Thanks for the tips sysfailur. :)

DeadHeart

DeadHeart
09-15-2002, 07:45 PM
Well, the fan I added to the northbridge is doing its job! I was now able to get into windows at 215Mhz fsb and it POSTed at 220Mhz (haven't tried more than that (too much AGP corruption)). :)

DeadHeart

N8
09-16-2002, 05:46 AM
Glad to hear you're having some success w/ the board :)

Yep, I was able to get my FSB up to 222MHz w/ the 8K3A by simply adding some new TIM and a small 40mm fan to the NB ;)

DeadHeart
09-16-2002, 10:07 AM
I think I'll be watercooling this northbridge. It is just too hot... I also have to do something about those mosfets. This is driving me nuts! :rolleyes:

DeadHeart

Privateer
09-16-2002, 12:14 PM
Is it still hot in Portugal,whats ur ambient temp,just interested.

DeadHeart
09-18-2002, 05:22 AM
Right now in this house it's like 25ºc, but in Lisbon where I usually live it's about 35ºc (inside my room, of course). Ouside it sould be like... 20ºc? Something like that. Yesterday was a little colder because it rained a lot.

DeadHeart

Privateer
09-18-2002, 05:37 AM
Right now in this house it's like 25ºc, but in Lisbon where I usually live it's about 35ºc (inside my room, of course). Ouside it sould be like... 20ºc? Something like that. Yesterday was a little colder because it rained a lot.

DeadHeart

Weve had a sh*t summer as far as rain goes,but when 4 of my AIR cooled pc crash cos its hot,me saying its warm people don't believe me,outside my temp probe is still on 20.6c today.:(

TheHunter
09-18-2002, 12:35 PM
EPoX and ABIT doing some bad things lately... ABIT is having ECS to make some of their boards (which suffers of undervoltage of 0.3V to the VCore as a result from this) and EPoX making really bad heat sinks for the north bridge :(

Privateer
09-18-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by TheHunter
EPoX and ABIT doing some bad things lately... ABIT is having ECS to make some of their boards (which suffers of undervoltage of 0.3V to the VCore as a result from this) and EPoX making really bad heat sinks for the north bridge :(

My Epox heat sink fell off on my 8K3A+ !!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

TheHunter
09-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Oh man... the world gone crazy!
Hope the KX7 i'm planing on isn't made by ECS...

Privateer
09-18-2002, 01:01 PM
Oh man... the world gone crazy!
Hope the KX7 i'm planing on isn't made by ECS...

My current KX7,and XP2200+ will not go over 2056MHZ 12x171.
Its volt modded and its on 1.95v.if i change FSB and Multi,it seems will crash around 2060mhz.i get it running smooth at 2056MHZ,if i change the voltage by .25v up+ or even down- it crashes.Ive tried different memory it still does it.It will do 200 fsb.
Its water cooled my temp is 40c,but thats doubtfull.:( :( :(

Its an ECS 1 i guess.:mad:

TheHunter
09-18-2002, 01:04 PM
Man.... bad overclocking and hardware making me sick :(

Privateer
09-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Man.... bad overclocking and hardware making me sick :(

Mind you if its going to go wrong or if theres a bad Piece of hardware out there im going to get it.:( :(

Privateer
09-19-2002, 05:30 AM
I changed my volt modds and now its stable at 2.1.
ill leave it till tomorrow and ill get more out of it.
:D

DeadHeart
09-20-2002, 04:15 PM
A lot of tweaking done and I still can't get at least 3000Mb/s @ 200Mhz. Damn! I've noticed that 'Fast Decode' isn't enabled in wpcredit and I can't enable it. I bet that's my problem. Any ideas? :(

DeadHeart