PDA

View Full Version : Which single 120 rad?

neyoung
02-26-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm looking for a single 120 rad that will fit in the top of my lian li case. Which would be better?

JR-120 Hi Performance Radiator
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=103

Black Ice Xtreme
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/hwlabs.asp

I was also looking at this heater core, and it looks to be the same as the JR-120 Hi Performance Radiator, but not painted. Is this true?
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/heatercore.asp

Which of these would perform the best? I can't get a dual 120 cuz it has got to fit in my case :(

Karnivore
02-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Any of your choices are pretty decent performers, However since size is a consideration the JR-120 would probably work quite well for you.

With decent airflow I doubt you would notice a significant difference in any of your choices.

Edit: the JR-120 is smaller then the Pro core.. Both are made for single 120mm fans though.

the Heatercore from DangerDen is pretty much the same as Dteks Procore, the JR-120 is smaller though...

neyoung
02-26-2004, 05:07 PM
thanks, I think that I'll go with the JR-120 since the pro core is sold out and I don't think it owuld fit anyways...

Would it help much mroe if I had two fans 1 push and 1 pull instead of just one pull?

Whould I need 2 shrouds If I went with 2 fans?

sandman
02-26-2004, 05:15 PM
the two fans would help, but it isn't necesary.

Two shrouds would be advisable if running two fans.

Karnivore
02-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by neyoung
Would it help much mroe if I had two fans 1 push and 1 pull instead of just one pull?

Push pull does add some flow, but with diminishing returns, from what I recall it gave me 1 or 2C better temps. Not a great boost but a boost none-the-less, worth it? I guess thats probably best answered by you.

Whould I need 2 shrouds If I went with 2 fans?

Honestly I would wonder if you have sufficient room for the rad, 2 shrouds and 2 fans. I would probably start out with a single fan/shroud, see how the clearance is, and if sufficient maybe add a second. It will perform better, just not alot...

neyoung
02-26-2004, 05:23 PM
alright, I'll go for the single shroud for now and see how it all fits. Thanks for the help!

Karnivore
02-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Don't forget to post up your results, pictures are always nice if you can ;)

neyoung
02-26-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm going to be getting a whitewater block and a hydor L30 pump. I haven't decided on a gpu block yet. I want the Silverprop Fusion but the only place in the US that I can find that sells it is http://www.criticool.com/ and it says they are in stock, but when you go to buy it it says backordered. So I guess I will get a Dangerden...

Any sugestions?

Karnivore
02-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Dteks block is nice but I don't think they offer an Intel mounting kit, I would probably go with DangerDens block, Swifty is pretty decent But I don't care much for the quick connects...

neyoung
02-26-2004, 06:02 PM
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=108

Here is the block that I was planning on getting. So it doesn't have a mounting kit? How are you soposed to put it on then?

Karnivore
02-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, The Whitewater is a great choice for CPU, Dtek used to have the P4 mounting kit listed on there site, I don't see it anymore, but bet they still offer it.

My reference to no mounting kit for Intel was directed towards the FSB VGA/Chipset block, it is a good block but you would have to improvise on the mounting system, thats why I would recommend the DangerDen Zchip with Intel mount.

Sorry for the confusion...

EDIT: on reading closer I see they include P4 mount for WW block..

Karnivore
02-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Ewps, haven't been to Dtek for a while, last I was there they had removed the P4 WW, guess it must have just been for lack of inventory, it is indeed back now...

neyoung
02-26-2004, 06:53 PM
yeah, so the dangerden ZCHip for the nb and dangergen for the gpu, sound good?

Karnivore
02-26-2004, 06:57 PM
that would be my choices, and should do very well for you.

neyoung
02-26-2004, 07:03 PM
right on, I'm going to try to get this all ordered up tonight :) I'll make sure to post pics and stats when I get it all in and set up!

neyoung
02-26-2004, 09:45 PM
what is the difference between the poly top and aluminum top for the water block besides the obvious (material, and price) http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=108

Is one better than the other?

Elisha
02-26-2004, 10:14 PM
what would happen if you had 2 fans in push push configuration on opposite sides?

neyoung
02-26-2004, 10:40 PM
as a rule of thumb you always want to pull the air through the radiator/heatercore, because when you push air through there are dead spots where no air is being moved.

Karnivore
02-27-2004, 02:40 AM
what is the difference between the poly top and aluminum top for the water block besides the obvious (material, and price) http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=108

Is one better than the other?

Main difference is as you noted, price and appearance. Poly top is less durable, and can crack. Copper/aluminum tops offer very slight advantage in transfer of heat, however Aluminum forces more consideration to corrosion. I doubt the performance issue would be a measureable difference. I think most current poly tops are a bit more durable then they used to be, I've had no experience with poly top for quite some time, however I would choose metal, simply because of durability issues, and less chance of failure in extreme temperature (chiller) situations.

Firelord-OCHW
02-27-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Karnivore
Push pull does add some flow, but with diminishing returns, from what I recall it gave me 1 or 2C better temps. Not a great boost but a boost none-the-less, worth it? I guess thats probably best answered by you.

Honestly I would wonder if you have sufficient room for the rad, 2 shrouds and 2 fans. I would probably start out with a single fan/shroud, see how the clearance is, and if sufficient maybe add a second. It will perform better, just not alot...

I have a ThermoChill 120.1 rad with (now push pull config) and can honestly say it dropped my temps by 10c! No BS thats the honest truth.

I had a 105CFM YS-Tech on there and was getting 45c load temps at 7v (optium setting as 12v did nothing for it!) and recently added a Antec Bl00 LED fan at 12v and YS Tech at 7v and get 35c under load :)

I have found it quieter as well as its not having to push or pull the fans help each other :)

2 fans defo worth it :) so is the TC :toast: :banana:

Jabo
02-27-2004, 03:40 AM
Try them all in pull config with appropriate shrouding (make it out of paper for testing purposes and keep at least 300mm distance between fans and rad).
Ou should be getting no more than 5C above ambient with striaght water dude:)

Karnivore
02-27-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Firelord-OCHW
I have a ThermoChill 120.1 rad with (now push pull config) and can honestly say it dropped my temps by 10c! No BS thats the honest truth.

I had a 105CFM YS-Tech on there and was getting 45c load temps at 7v (optium setting as 12v did nothing for it!) and recently added a Antec Bl00 LED fan at 12v and YS Tech at 7v and get 35c under load :)

I have found it quieter as well as its not having to push or pull the fans help each other :)

2 fans defo worth it :) so is the TC :toast: :banana:

While I certainly don't discount your opinion, or results, I will have to say that there must have been other contributing factors to your 10C difference. That is not typical. I've not uses the Thermochill 120.1 so cannot give a substanciated opinion.
however I would venture a guess and say it sounds like it benefits greatly from increased air flow.

This in my experience has not been the case with Dtek's Procore, Swiftech 676, or the BIX line, including Dual 120. I've built and experimented with these, and while they do definately see a marked improvement It was never as pronounced as 10C.

I've only done roughly 25 builds so my experience is certainly limited, the only time I've seen results as pronounced as yours is when using a BIM, and that was expected. I do endorse push/pull and a pair of shrouds, no doubt it IS a good thing,

My main reason for the single fan recommendation is relatively simple, and straight forward; I have a LianLi case sitting in front of me, and I can't quite see enough room for the Rad, 2 shrouds, 2 fans. I'm sure once neyoung gets his system together, he can easily see if sufficient room remains for an additional fan/shroud...

John Cena
02-27-2004, 06:20 AM
I use the JR-120 and it is AWSOME IMO.
I leave it outside out of my case with a 120mm fan on the lowest speed.
Idle P4 temp is 19c-22c and Max Load temp is 28c.

On one very cold morning I got a reading of 15 celcius idle.(ROOM WAS FREEZING)

Black Ice is not worth it, It is expensive and is bulky and big.

neyoung
02-27-2004, 09:31 AM
thanks for the opinions guys!

I purchased a witewater al block, a maze4 gpu block, the JR-120 rad, a hydor L30 pump, some tygon and a bay res. I'm leaving for spring break on sunday and I hope all the parts are back when I get home. I'l definitly post some pics and temps of how well it does. There will definitly be a big drop in temp for me, because I am just using the stock hsf that came with my p4 retail.

Karnivore
02-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Sounds good, look forward to your results:thumbsup: