PDA

View Full Version : Attn R9700 users - powerstrip core clock fix.

PiLsY
09-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Here you go guys, sussed out a core clock fix. I'll explain the fix then a bit of background info - please dont use the fix until youve read the lot.

First off install powerstrip. Reboot. Install only the overclocking part of rage3d tweak (latest version) from www.rage3d.com. Reboot again.

Now for the fix.

Run powerstrip set to not load with windows or restore settings. You can change this by going to options > preferences and unchecking the boxes.

Make sure rage3d tweak is starting with windows.

Go to the powerstrip overclocker and clock as high as it will let you go. You need to be bang on its limit here so find out to the mhz how high its letting you clock. Go to the rage3d overclocker and set your core clock 1mhz higher. Go back to powerstrip and you will now have the full range of core clock functionality. DO NOT OVERCLOCK MEMORY USING RAGE3D TWEAK.

Now for the background.

Video cards run bioses exactly like motherboards. What many people dont know though is that they also have timings just like normal motherboards. The difference is though that theyre adjusted automatically. Most of the time this doesnt matter as we would overclock using driver functionality and not video bios / PLL programming. However, powerstrip is unique (and patented) in that it communicates directly with the video card bios and uses whats best described as a Windows bios editor to change settings. This means its compatible with 99% of cards out there. Rage 3d Tweaker is like most other clocking programs in that is communicates with the driver files and sets clock speeds by tricking the bios into thinking its at default whilst setting windows clocks higher.

Now for the easy explanation of differences in clocks between pstrip and r3dtweaker. When powerstrip alters clock speeds the preprogrammed bios timings change to reflect the new core or memory clock. Much like youd do when maxing out your motherboard, you lower certain timings in order to retain stability whilst pumping up the fsb and bandwidth. For example, I can run 395mhz core and 397mhz core, but NOT 395mhz core. At 395 timings change down to retain stability. 3D Mark scores also dip noticeably (but not by a huge margin - maybe 25 points consistently over 10 tests). This means you can reach higher clocks by running lower overall timings internally on the card. This isa good thing - we all know that finding the sweet spot on anything is all about balancing timings and speed.

Driver based overclocking does NOT alter these timings as the card bios thinks its still at stock speed. This means as you increase clocks on mem and core youll reach lower overall speed due to retaining the tight stock timings. This is why I said above that you should NOT use rage 3d tweak to OC. Youll find the timings will not change down as you increase clocks from what powerstrip set. Youre best off doing your memory oc with powerstrip alone as it works flawlessly, and using rage3dtweaker to "nudge" through the sticky spot youre encountering on powerstrip. It will negatively affect your oc if you use rage3d tweaker alone.

Hope that helps a few of you out and clears up any questions as to why you should use powerstrip and not any software based overclocker.

PiLsY.

Chong345
09-13-2002, 12:57 PM
Good info PiLsY. Will test it tomorrow with some pelt action and -24C water.

Chong:D

MrIcee
09-13-2002, 01:40 PM
Pilsey...this is excellent info...I'm going to make this sticky for all the Radeon 9700 owners to have at the top of the page for easy access.

Randi:D

Tony
09-13-2002, 03:08 PM
Good info PiLsy...gave it a go and im rocking at 390core and 340 memory...still aircooled.Over12400 at 1200x1600 with this tweak!!!....thanks.

bmg
09-13-2002, 03:45 PM
I just tried the latest powerstrip beta and no longer see a problem with setting the frequencies. Give it a try: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/psbeta.exe

Creative
09-13-2002, 07:44 PM
Nice description but wouldnt it be just easier if ATi released a freakin tweak program???!!! I came from Nvidia all my life and this is my first ATi card and yer the cards rock but as ive always heard and seen, the drivers and utilities for the cards SUCK.

Doesnt mean im not enjoying my 9700 though :banana:
heheheh

Im gonna try the new pstrib beta...:)

mbrock
09-17-2002, 04:25 AM
What am I doing wrong. I followed the instructions but after I set my highest clock in Pstrip and then go into r3d I can not raise it from 431 to 432. R3d shows 420. I then go back into Pstrip and max is 432. Any ideas?

mbrock
09-17-2002, 04:30 AM
Never mind I fixed it.:banana:

Creative
09-17-2002, 10:38 PM
mbrock have you tried the new one that bmg gave the link too?

Ive been using it for 3 days now at 388/346 with no probs, mind you I cant go higher due to lock ups but if your around those speeds and dont need higher.....give that new beta a whirl....:D

mbrock
09-19-2002, 02:43 AM
You can get the full OC bar by just installing powerstrip.
Set the GPU skider to max of 431.
Go to Options, preferences
Click on Quick Setup.
Pstrip rescans your video card and sets the default GPU clock at 430 giving you a max clock of 570.

PiLsY
09-20-2002, 10:20 AM
Or you can just change he clock percentage limits by clicking the icon of a gpu under the core slider :).

Change it from the default 133% to say 150%.

Saves the messing around :).

I noticed some people over at rage3d.com saying I was wrong about the hardware/software and timings thing. My results speak for themselves though...

powerstrip...

Artifacts at 397mhz. Lock up at 398mhz. Stable again at 400mhz all the way up to 407 until artifacts reappear. Will bench at 410.

Rage3d overclocker.
Artifacts at 397mhz. Lock up at 398mhz. Locks up at anything higher than that including speeds that powerstrip handles with ease.

I may not be 100% correct on everything I said above, but its certainly not "rubbish" as theyre saying.

Anyway, didnt bother posting there - dont see the point in starting a ruckus. The point is it works as I said above, and the results I stated above are repeatable every time as evidence.

PiLsY.

Creative
09-20-2002, 08:14 PM
So PiLsY your saying that the card gets to a certain point, locks, then yo increase a little more and it kinda unlocks it??!!!

Cos to be honest, ive found that on my card also!!! I get lock ups inbetween 403-408 but then I can run Naturex2 before it locks up at 410-415 :confused:

This is really wierd man....also, CD Drivers let me OC to 403/365 before any major problems.....2.2 lets me go to 405/370 before major probslems.....and 2.3 were the ones that let me go all the way to 415/365, albeit a :banana::banana::banana::banana: score though. 2.2 gave me my score in my sig :)

I think ths card need a volt mod and Ill do one after my exams in 2 weeks....:D I have just been using the new beta powerstrip that is given in the link above. I havnt reached the speeds of you guys yet and need to do any tricks :p

spaceman
12-18-2002, 12:05 PM
I'm runnin'@ 373.5/693 usin' the Rage 3D tweak, on air. I'll give the beta a shot. :)

Ace-a-Rue
12-29-2002, 07:14 PM
PiLsY, does this work the same way for a R8500 card?

Marquzz
01-25-2003, 06:39 AM
I ran in to a problem using this trick. When I reached 365 MHz i cannot go higher, what happans is that Rage3d-slider deasn't go any higher so i cannot take the rivatunder-slider any higher, the screen goes blank for a second and then the slider is set on 108 MHz.

DisposableHero
02-10-2003, 01:50 AM
i still dont understand what pilsy means here besides allowing PS to allow to use all the mhz selections..

does this help us get an overall higher OC?

Untouchable
02-26-2003, 03:00 PM
can you guys PLEASE tell me how u get ur clock settings so high?

am i missing something cuz at like 330/330 it either doesnt work or works with these black marks all over the place..