PDA

View Full Version : Phase Change?

Player0
09-12-2002, 07:35 PM
Hi guys, I need some advice. I currently use a peltier water chiller system. It uses four 172w peltiers and chills water down to -10c degrees. I have an MCW462-UHT here with a 226w peltier that I planned on adding to the system, but havent yet. I am not sure the temperatures this would yield on my Athlons, but i would think under -20c full load.

This comes with a price. A huge powersupply and excess heat being spewed in to the room. Not to mention the noise of fans.

So im considering alternatives before I do anymore work on my current rig. I can buy a used Vapochill at a good price, but im not sure it will have the cooling power. I also have the opportunity to get a good deal on a Prometia, which i hear good things about. But comes with a heafty price tag.

I am also considering building or piecing together my own chiller, although it would need to fit in my current server cube case because I want to have a self contained system with low noise and maintenance.

Of course, I could always imrpove on my cube system as well. So what do you guys think?

Player0
09-12-2002, 08:50 PM
Im thinking...what if i went to the store and bought a dinky cheap little $120 air conditioner. I could disassemble it maybe, and beable to turn this in to a chiller perhaps?

Ive never seen anyone convert an air conditioner tho...

aenigma
09-12-2002, 09:08 PM
http://www.subz3ro.net/ugly.jpg

Now you have :)

I say go DIY.
Those 120 dollare a/c's usually use R134a,and basically r134a sucks ass....
If you could find an older air conditioner that would be your best bet.
BTW a 120 dollar a/c is not dinky ;)

Player0
09-13-2002, 06:53 AM
Haha...yeah. I do have an older one I was looking to replace in the house, I could use that. But your right, its not dinky. Ps - is there a mandatory lable or something on ACs that let you know what refridgerant they use?

Im looking for something more self contained though. If i did DIY, id have to buy a small compressor kit...where can i buy these? Ive seen em around before...

aenigma
09-13-2002, 12:05 PM
Yeah I never used that anyways.Ended up just taking the compressor out and using it in another system.

Sure you could go small,requires more work.Not sure what you mean by a compressor kit.
But if you mean do the work yourself your going to need to be soldering/brazing the lines.Which isnt hard.Also need some gauges and a vaccum pump,well you dont really NEED them.But they are a nice investment.
Helps to learn the basics of refrigeration if your going to build one.

Oh yeah the units say what refrigerant they use on the tag that shows indicated btu's.

Here is a link on refrigeration....

http://oberon.ark.com/~airekool/rb1.htm

Player0
09-13-2002, 12:15 PM
No, nono, nope. I dont want to be soldering lines, charging the thing or doing anything of that sort. At least for now. Im not expecting plug and play, just maybe something i can fiddle with to make it fit and chill some water :)

But, maybe it doesnt exist.

aenigma
09-13-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Player0
No, nono, nope. I dont want to be soldering lines, charging the thing or doing anything of that sort. At least for now. Im not expecting plug and play, just maybe something i can fiddle with to make it fit and chill some water :)

But, maybe it doesnt exist.

Well they do have little neslab chillers and such.But on average I dont think your going to get something really small.Like small enough to integrate into your case.

Player0
09-13-2002, 05:04 PM
Well i gotta pretty big case :)

I guess ill just have to do a Prometia

|PuNiSh3R|
09-13-2002, 06:56 PM
Well.. I sure am impressed by your array of peltiers.. I'd hate to have your electric bill!

Why don't you drop me a PM.. I might be able to help you out.. or you could IM me on AIM
icefoundry

BTW, the prometia is good.. the price isn't.. Plus that will just do on-die cooling for you.. not the type of water chilling you want.. hope to hear from you.