PDA

View Full Version : P4 +226watt

Torinalth
09-12-2002, 11:30 AM
hey guys. building a rig for a client of mine and he is getting a 2.26 on an it7 MAX cooled with a DD maze3-1 and 226 watt peltier. I'm looking for a few answers on condensation prevention.

one, will there be a problem with cutting holes in the foam for the WB studs?

two, when stacking foam on top of each other to get the right height..... do I glue it? and with what? super glue? hot glue? kindergarden paste?

three, I use die electric grease (maybe spelled wrong) to fill the pin holes.... now for the interior of the socket..... put foam in there or fill with vaseline? I've seen both done before.

four, do I need to seal the socket with anything? or just do the foam surround and do the pin filler and inside the socket fix (see 3)

any other pointers?

Torinalth

libertate
09-12-2002, 05:25 PM
I'd be interested in the answer to those questions myself Torinalth... :)

anyone know?

oh, btw, where can you get dielectric grease?

Chong345
09-12-2002, 05:31 PM
I can only answer a few of the questions. I filled the socket with dielectrical grease which can be found at most auto stores. It might be called bulb grease. I didn't make a gasket so no answers there really. I used RTV to seal up some gaps inbetween the foam and it works well. Put some foam on the back of the board as well. Actually first coat it with liquid electrical tape and then cover over that with the foam.

Chong

Torinalth
09-13-2002, 11:25 AM
hmmmm, so fill the inside with dielectric grease, fill the pins with the same, surround the socket up to the WB with foam, use RTV between the foam.... and this should keep me water free?

Torinalth

Chong345
09-13-2002, 12:50 PM
Do whatever you feel is necessary. You can get pretty creative and do it however you want but just keep in mind air is bad. Test out the rig a few times and check for condensation periodically. Make sure nothing that gets cold is exposed.I wen't around the base of the foam with dielectric grease to make sure no air holes were there.

King_of_qb
09-14-2002, 06:29 AM
since u guys were talking about die electic grease i was just wondering is it easy to get it off if u wanted to?

Chong345
09-14-2002, 07:24 AM
I think its pretty easy to remove. If you end up having to RMA the board then just put it under the sink with some engine de-greaser. :D

Chong

Torinalth
09-14-2002, 05:56 PM
lol.

aight, I'm about done cutting the neoprene for insulation and need to start "pasting" it together. so, one last time.

use RTV between each sheet of neoprene...
use RTV to "glue" the neoprene to the board. (is this correct, or just let the WB hold it on?)
cover the socket with grease, and fill the inside with grease.
before applying the neoprene surround the inside and outside edges of the socket with RTV
install processor
"glue" the neoprene in place
install WB
hook up TEC
pray for a solid hour
turn on.

this correct? need to get the grease and RTV tomorrow. also, where does one obtain RTV?

Torinalth

Charles Wirth
09-14-2002, 07:21 PM
Fill the socket with dielectric grease, its a pain to fill the pin holes so I take the cpu and push it down into the grease to cover the bottom and cover the pins. This works for me.

Makes holes in the neoprene for the waterblock mounting studs.

I stack neoprene and check the seat with waterblock mounted before I glue the 2 stacked pieces together. I use superglue.

For long term seating of a waterblock, gpu or cpu I will put a layer of dielectric grease on the board and into any chips close to the core finning in the legs. I use conformal coating to create a igloo and if the dielectic grease is done right you can can remove and reuse the conformal mold again and again. Just keep conformal out of threads and under chip legs.

I use mars conformal coating. it is non conductive so you can apply power before it is completely dry.

Torinalth
09-17-2002, 08:08 AM
ok two problems. I can not find RTV nor dielectric grease.....

question then: Can I substitute dielectric grease with vasaline?

second: can I user silicone insulation calk instead of RTV?

Torinalth

docah
09-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Silicone caulk should be OK.

Vaseline from what i've heard will have trouble over time, i'm not sure why.... but it does. www.cooltechnica.com has peltiers, grease and selant and sometimes Neoprene foam. I recommend you aquire the right toold for the job, i've killed a cpu with a pelt before... it's really not much fun.