PDA

View Full Version : Questions !!!!

AnarKy
02-23-2004, 02:47 AM
1)External or Internal? Which is better, my case does'nt have much room and it does'nt have a see through side panel :P

2)Custom made or a kit? Which is more expensive? My budget is £150 tops about $340 your cash.

3)Can you buy see through side panels, with glass on the side so I can mod inside?

4)The dangers of water cooling? What can go wrong?

5)Help ! :)

Karnivore
02-23-2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by AnarKy
1)External or Internal? Which is better, my case does'nt have much room and it does'nt have a see through side panel :P

Both have advantages and drawbacks, albeit minimal, I think this question is personal preference. However I would think External would be more flexible, and COULD be made to perform better given an efficient design, and good component choices. At the least External introduces less heat into your case.

2)Custom made or a kit? Which is more expensive? My budget is £150 tops about $340 your cash.

A kit is certainly more expensive, however it is more "First time builder friendly" I say go with your own choices, If you have questions about specific components, research and ask, you'll end up being more knowledgeable, and be able to pick and choose the best choices for your system. As for Cash investment, number of components cooled has a direct relation to your investment, $340 is more then enough to purchase a complete H2O solution with top quality components. There are also plenty of alternative sources for some components that can cut costs substantially.

3)Can you buy see through side panels, with glass on the side so I can mod inside?

This question is a bit unclear, are you referring to the computer case, or an External H2O solution? Either way Plexiglas, or real glass could be used to customize both commercial and custom cases.

4)The dangers of water cooling? What can go wrong?

5)Help ! :)

Water cooling is safe so long as you do it correctly and pay attention to details. Don't rush your installation, pretest for leaks, use quality components, If in doubt ask someone. I guess the biggest risks would be a leak, or circulation failure. Leaks can be easily prevented by my statement above. Pump failure, is rare as long as you stick with quality pumps. A simple setting in Bios can easily prevent thermal damage.

You should get an abundance of advice, and you can always do a bit of reading in this section of the forum, quite a lot of experienced users here.

AnarKy
02-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Cheers for that guys, I have looked at a few kits and there is 2 external kits that are awsome, one has the looks but does not perform the best while the other has crap looks but performs awsome:P

Jabo
02-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Cheers for that guys, I have looked at a few kits and there is 2 external kits that are awsome, one has the looks but does not perform the best while the other has crap looks but performs awsome:P

My advice m8 is to browse FAQ sections of diff forums (www.themodfathers.co.uk, www.xbitlabs.com, www.procooling.com, www.vrforums.com) and more you can find. That's the best possible starting point. You'll get the best overview of the subjcest and massive amount of practical knowledge. Come back then and ask specific questions and we will be more than happy to help ya matey :)

All I can say is that it's v. good you got yourself a budget and not so good it is so tight ;)

TheDude
02-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Karnivore did a great job of answering your question....I'd say follow his advice. I can't really think of anything to add to it that he hasn't already said. ;)

8-ball
02-23-2004, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure what exchange rate you are using.

£150 is currently about $280US.

Again, I would suggest listening to the advice given already. It is pretty good.

As for the case modding.

I would suggest going to forums.bit-tech.net predominantly a UK modding community, with some experience in water cooling.

Most of the water coolers there are "relatively" new, and as such you will most probably get some good advice as a new comer your self.

8-ball

8-ball
02-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Jabo, all but one of your links have the commas included in the weblink. An easy mistake to make.

8-ball

CCW
02-23-2004, 06:03 PM
AnarKy, try thecoolingshop.com and their forums, tell them CCW sent you ;)

They have some watercooling kits that are slightly more than your price range.

Craig

Firelord-OCHW
02-24-2004, 03:39 AM
The best place you can go for WC gear in the UK as far as I am concerned is Over-Clock UK :)

Their service is consistent and top class!

Marci is always willing to help and very informative both on here and their forums :)

Whats your rig specs??

This is what you can get for £149 exc VAT and is basically what I run!

DangerDen Maze4 CPU Block
DangerDen Clear Reservoir
Thermochill HE120.1
YSTech FD1212257S-1I 120mm Fan set to 7v
120mm Chrome Fan Guard
Eheim 1048 Pump
2.5mtrs of 1/2" Thickwalled tubing
Purple Ice
Mounting Hardware for CPU Block
Mounting Hardware for FanGuard and Fan to Radiator
Mounting Hardware for Radiator to Case
Worm Drive Hose Clips
Fitting Instructions

That will be a good kit to go for :)

If you can't stretch for the extra £28 for the VAT then look at their garage kit

If not pick some kit up online :)

Heres a couple of threads I started when I first started looking at WC :) hope they help
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24457
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22539