PDA

View Full Version : Intel chipset watercooling - How to.

PiLsY
09-12-2002, 05:36 AM
This is a very very simple operation. Heres why I decided to do it.

I picked up an innovatek GF4 block to compare to the MCW40 (and no its not as good, but they are pretty damn close :)). I had the GF4 lying on my bed next to my mobo while I fitted this block. happened to glance across to the board and noticed that the wide 2 hole mountings on the GF4 looked pretty similar to the 2 hook attatchment on the mobo. Measured them and theyre identical (im talking to 0.1mm here). Bababoom - idea. However, now I was faced with the dilemma of how to convert the 2 hole waterblock mounting to the 2 hook chipset mounting. Yet more inspiration. When I mounted the MCW40 onto the radeon I used the retail cooler to hold it in position while the Epoxy went off. I attatched the retail cooler over the top of the MCW40 thru its 2 pin holes using....zip ties. Now there was a plan. One zip tie thru the hole, thread it thru the hook on the board and tighten it until it cries for mercy, then repeat for the other. Well, it doesnt need much more explanation, but theres a pic below for clarity.

As for results, its made a hell of a difference. From 168/3:4 2.5/7/3/3/Enhance off memory stable with an overheating chipset heatsink/40mm fan to a nicely ambient watercooled chipset on the same loop as my radeon. Temp measured on the reverse of the motherboard under the chipset was 57c with the standard heatsink and a 17cfm delta 40mm fan hot glued on. With my radeon at its current max clock water temp rises up to 31c. Temp measured on the reverse of the motherboard under the chipset was....31c. FSB is now stable up to 180/3:4 at 2/7/3/3/Enhance on. Or alternatively for huge bandwidth I can now run at 175/3:4 with 2/7/3/2/Enhance on. All I need now is the 2.8 p4 to match it :). My 2.26 @ under 3ghz doesnt supply enough power to make use of all this bandwidth, but thats a tale for another day :).

PiLsY.

N8
09-12-2002, 06:20 AM
Dont own an intel, but thx for the tip, PiLsY! Perhaps help some of you Intel users will find new OC limits :)

Marci
09-12-2002, 09:46 AM
someone remind me to add to the description for the GF4 block on me website the fact that it's also P4 northbridge compatible!!

guaranteed I'll forget by tomorrow (short term memory practically non-existent for all intents and purposes :( )

Hiwayman
09-12-2002, 10:17 AM
Nice idea there Pilsy,

I'll try it on my Th7-II to see if it helps:)

PiLsY
09-12-2002, 01:35 PM
Marci - that mean youre going to refund me for giving you free advertising? Specially considering I paid next day delivery and it ook 10 days to arrive :p. And yes it was "in stock" when I ordered it. Got put up as out of stock the day after....

PiLsY.

sysfailur
09-12-2002, 07:46 PM
Heh that's leet. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my 85w pelt + cold plate + DD chipset block on it :|

Why in GODS NAME did they put hooks on it. So silly.

Marci
09-13-2002, 05:36 AM
Here we go again... Next Working Day Delivery refers to the Next Working Day from the date of shipment NOT the date of order.... it's in the Terms n Conditions and on the bottom of every catalog page on the site.... and the same goes for every other online store I've seen... :p

It did say in the description for the product that ALL innovatek orders were considered pre-orders until the stock situation was resolved (Cos I've only just deleted that bit this morning). We only marked it out of stock as all that were coming had been preordered by that point....

plus it's not free advertising for us, as you haven't put where the block is available from... free advertising for Innovatek, yes, so u could e-mail them for a refund... :p :D

PiLsY
09-13-2002, 10:11 AM
I just thought because everything else on the page from innovatek said out of stock that the things that were "in stock" were actually in stock and not on pre-order. Silly me eh? :p.

Anyway, no matter - not really arsed m8, just thought id take a sly dig given the oppurtunity ;).

Must say though - this radeon from you guys is an absolute peach. 413mhz core this morning (mcw40) to crack 18k. Well impressed. Worth the £30 price difference compared to ocuk anyway.

Any idea on the 2.8b's marci? Will be after one at the start of next month. Give me an email shout if youre likely to get hold of any :).

PiLsY.

Marci
09-13-2002, 10:28 AM
Can already get em m8... will make a call on Monday to check they have stock and drop u with price....

Yeah, noticed this batch of radeons was quite a good one... hope next batch is as good if not better as mine's gone now so have to wait til we get the next order before I can strap some blox on n stuff... Hopin to beat the 16K AMD with an MCW40-Tec block strapped to it....

PiLsY
09-13-2002, 10:48 AM
Be VERY careful with that TEC m8. The shim tends to hold a moisture cell next to the core. You need to "fill" the shim to core area with something so you dont end up with an ice cube on your GPU.

Regarding the 2.8b - itll be a couple of week or so before I can buy, so no huge rush m8. £435 incl shipping for the retail version is the cheapest ive found them so far. Definitely want the retail version tho - no OEM. That 3yr warranty helps for RMAs if it dies. Having said that ive not had to return a P4 yet, but knowing my luck the day I decide to do away with the warranty will be the day one dies on me. besides, the retail coolers make nice ramsinks all chopped up ;).

PiLsY.

sysfailur
09-13-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by PiLsY
Be VERY careful with that TEC m8. The shim tends to hold a moisture cell next to the core. You need to "fill" the shim to core area with something so you dont end up with an ice cube on your GPU.

Regarding the 2.8b - itll be a couple of week or so before I can buy, so no huge rush m8. £435 incl shipping for the retail version is the cheapest ive found them so far. Definitely want the retail version tho - no OEM. That 3yr warranty helps for RMAs if it dies. Having said that ive not had to return a P4 yet, but knowing my luck the day I decide to do away with the warranty will be the day one dies on me. besides, the retail coolers make nice ramsinks all chopped up ;).

PiLsY.

I'll be sure to be careful if I could figure a way to get the thing latched down first off.

PiLsY
09-13-2002, 01:29 PM
Tsk tsk.... Use the force Luke ;).

Or alternatively you could borrow my custom clamp ;). tis easy m8. make yourself a small riser shim to sit on the core - a fin off a nice thin blade heatsink will do perfectly. Something like an HHC001 or SK6 fin to ensure you get decent core contact. If you use the SK6 id advise using 2 fins epoxied together. Stick the retail heatsink over the top of your block and bolt it down super tight using the existing 2 pin holes and some 3" bolts. Piccy below.

If youve not already got an MCW40 id advise picking one up for this very reason. Sits straight on any nvidia card from the GF3 upwards (incl future cards) via the Nvidia spec 4 bolt holes, and will fit practically every other card out there by simply bolting the standard heatsink over the top like a retention device. Nice havig a flat top block. Actually performance is pretty damn good. On a par with any other vid waterblock ive tested, and better than some cpu blocks too. You can also bolt on the cold plate kit direct to the block, so no arsing around there either.