PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Home Edition and Activation

CCW
02-21-2004, 05:49 AM
Hey guys,

Just about to buy another Windows XP Home license, how mnay t9imes can you re-activate it? I only ask because the machines its going on is formatted regularly.

Also, it doesnt like too many hardware change outs? How mnay times can I change certain pieces of hardware? I monly buying XP Home because I find it easier to network with.

Craig

Keeper
02-21-2004, 08:44 AM
From time to time you will have to call support on the phone, but you can go on forever reactivating it.

CCW
02-22-2004, 05:38 AM
Thanks for your reply. Good news if I can re activate it as mnay rtimes as needed. Problems wil lbe the hardware change outs, I hear it doesnt like motherboard changeouts. Apparently memory and processor chnage outs are fine.

Craig

htkm1
02-22-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by CCW
Hey guys,

Just about to buy another Windows XP Home license, how mnay t9imes can you re-activate it? I only ask because the machines its going on is formatted regularly.

Also, it doesnt like too many hardware change outs? How mnay times can I change certain pieces of hardware? I monly buying XP Home because I find it easier to network with.

Craig

With out calling MS, twice only. After that you'll need to call MS and ask for new Activation key. They'll give it to you for about 5 times. after that they'll ask you for scaned Receipt and cover of the OS CD-Rom. which you'll have to send it via e-mail or fax and wait for their reply.

As for the Hardware changing, I have read in MS web site that it is base on points. somethings like 7 points and you'll need to reactivate it again. Cpu, graphic cards are about 1~2 points. Mobo and network cards are 5~7 points.

Darkfold
02-28-2004, 03:07 PM
A very odd thing happened to mine, i found that if i just clicked on alter the code (telesales option) and then close it without giving the counter key it lets me run it... dunno if this is a bug on my disk or something, but i know its the workaround to get an illegal copy to run sp1, wonder if it will work for any of you guys..

John Cena
02-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Windows and its bugs

Ever noticed that when you first reinstall Windows Xp and you right click my computer and try to disable System Restore function, you can't click okay button sometimes? Its funny

pkrew
03-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by htkm1
With out calling MS, twice only. After that you'll need to call MS and ask for new Activation key. They'll give it to you for about 5 times. after that they'll ask you for scaned Receipt and cover of the OS CD-Rom. which you'll have to send it via e-mail or fax and wait for their reply.

As for the Hardware changing, I have read in MS web site that it is base on points. somethings like 7 points and you'll need to reactivate it again. Cpu, graphic cards are about 1~2 points. Mobo and network cards are 5~7 points.

Thats' amaizing. I have an OEM copy of XP pro that I've called MS and had activated at least a dozen times. Its a pain, but they have never given me any hassle and never asked for a reciept

Wrench
04-08-2004, 09:09 PM
I activate OS's on a regular basis. If you don't change your hardware but reformat activation is not a problem at all.

If you do a lot of messing with Hardware IE, Mobo and your Registry ( mainly Hardware keys) you will need to activate. I ran accross this problem lots of times. I swap hardware on a regular basis.

Tom Holck
04-10-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Wrench
I activate OS's on a regular basis. If you don't change your hardware but reformat activation is not a problem at all.

If you do a lot of messing with Hardware IE, Mobo and your Registry ( mainly Hardware keys) you will need to activate. I ran accross this problem lots of times. I swap hardware on a regular basis.

And thats the problem. We all OC and thange hardware all the time. Then XP have to be re-activated.:mad:

Slickthellama
04-10-2004, 06:34 PM
you're all suckers, I never need to activate mine kuz it's hacked. OWNED MS. OWNED.

Minnyboy
04-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Look around.....

Activation crack....

Does a very good trick this thing I'm talking about.....Run in safe mode...Run the App & no ringing MS...

HAHAHAHAHA

Also, there's 2 versions of XP Pro Corp floating around....One that you cannot update through Windows Update & the other one can do everything....

If I'm not allowed to post this, please delete my post....

Minnyboy:D :D :D

Tom Holck
04-11-2004, 01:28 AM
The last post OK.

I think we have been around the subjekt